PDA

View Full Version : Planning permission .....

camelia
04-11-2011, 01:06 PM
ARGH!!!!! I need help and advice please.:angry:
We have had a letter from the council in September stating that a complaint has been made about me running a buisiness from home.Well to cut a long story short and nearly £1000 later after putting in for planning permission and having to have architectual drawings done of our house of which nothing has changed we have now found out it was our neighbours and their friends across the road that have concluded a story together stating that noise and traffic is horrendous early am and late pm with cars and vans coming continually.They have said that the noise is horrendous throughout the summer and that they can't enjoy the garden :angry:

I have been childminding with my husband for 3 years and we have 12 children including our own.We have 6 early years all day and then the rest before and after school.We live in a detached house with a private driveway and large conservatory on the back where the children play.I knocked on our neighbours doors when this first came to light and all stated that if they had a problem they would knock on and inform me - obviously not the case....

I now have to stand up at the town hall on the 20th of December to put forward my argument - How nice just before Christmas.

Anyone else had these sorts of issues???? Now feel so deflated and stressed xxxx

sarah707
04-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately if you look after more than 6 children you do need to get planning permission - you should have been advised about it before you upped your numbers really.

Can't be helped though I understand you are now not in a good place :(

I would put together a daily impact analysis of exactly how many children come and go through the day, what times, what types of cars, how they all use the driveway, how you minimise the effect on the neighbours etc.

Then consider if there is anything you can do to change the way parents collect their children - encouraging them to use public transport (yes, I know but this is for the plan!!) or walk to your house if they live locally.

Do you have any Ofsted report quotes you can use to show that the level of care you offer is amazing or anything?

Focus on the positive effect a larger group of mixed age children has on outcomes for the children - can parents write letters saying how much they value your services?

Write down exactly what you want to say ... you can get companies to do it for you if you are not confident yourself. You only get a few minutes so practice your speech a lot of times to make sure it doesn't go over time and you can fit in all the most important points.

Good luck with it all :D

christine e
04-11-2011, 01:35 PM
There are quite a few old threads about planning permission - happened to a friend of mine - she was eventually given permission for 12 months when it wuld be reviewed - she decided to rent premises and become daycare

here is her old thread

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=58392&highlight=planning+permission

camelia
04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your advice x
I was not informed 3 years ago and I am also a support childminder.On contacting my local early years department they were not aware of this ruling and the council have stated that they only act on a complaint.I am the first childminder in our borough to have this .:angry:

camelia
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks for your advice x
I was not informed 3 years ago and I am also a support childminder.On contacting my local early years department they were not aware of this ruling and the council have stated that they only act on a complaint.I am the first childminder in our borough to have this .:angry:

carol cameron
04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
One of my childminding friends is having to deal with a similar situation. She has been childminding for almost 20 years and this is the first time we have been told about the ' 6 rule'.
She has spoken directly to the local council and been told that it's not generally a problem but has to be investigated when a complaint is made. It's all over car parking issues too!!!!.:angry:
It has caused her a huge amout of stress and is still not resolved so you have my sympathy. I hope it goes well for you. Let us know what happens.

ourmadhouse
02-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Oh my :eek: iv just checked my local council web site and they state that if i have more than 4 children i need to apply for planning permission at £335 !!!
(just wondering if these numbers include my own children ????)

Daftbat
03-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Sarah, sorry to argue your point but I think that it's not a good idea to put a general comment about childminders needing to get planning permission if they care for more than six children. This could really cause problems and put off new childminders who become scared about setting up. It totally depends upon the council in your area. In mine, North East Derbyshire, its not the case. There are some guidelines but there is no issue about numbers and in my case I do not need to obtain planning permission.

The main thing with my council is that my premises are primarily a family home.

I would advise anyone worried to just go onto their council website and check for themselves as I did.:thumbsup: