PDA

View Full Version : Do you use playgroups at church halls etc?

Nature'sKids!
04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
We've got some lovely ones here which I go to regularly, the kids really enjoy them :)

flowerpots
04-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Yes, most of ours are at church halls and the kids love them. :)

mufftie
04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Ours are in community halls , I do go at least twice a week , much more friendly than sure start

JCrakers
04-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Yes, I go to one every week in the local church....its a RA nightmare.
Stone font, pews to climb on.....:D
I have to watch them like a hawk

chez
04-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Mum runs a toddler group in a chruch hall twice a week.

I enjoy toddler groups but I do get annoyed with the ones where we are expected to take part in active worship - a good example is one I went to a few weeks ago, its run at the church and when the lady who was running it told me about it she mentioned that once a month the children all go into the church for a mini service, I mentioned that I would be uncomfortable doing this with my mindees she said "we all go" thats put me off attending this group as I do not wish to do active worship with my mindees but to educate them informally about many religions.

Nature'sKids!
04-11-2011, 09:58 AM
There is one here which goes to church once a month but you don't have to go across and can stay in the hall.
There's also a toddler praise in another church which always has a bible story at it's centre.
I've been to both and they're nice but further away and not as nice as the ones I've found just round the corner from me :)

I'm really lucky actually, we've got 1 on a Monday, 3 on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday, softplay at the leisure centre on a Friday and bounce and rhyme every other Friday at the library. Then there's the childminding sessions at the surestart!

ja8estar
04-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I go to playgroups run in local churches my mindees love it and get a lot out of going, my only beef is when you get other mums pooh poohing behind your back because your a childminder
all ways feel a bit on edge
like I am being judged
have heard other mums moan that childminders take to many children but I only have 2 at the mo and always take fruit to share

maisiemog
04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
All three groups we go to on a regular basis are church based! I refuse to go to our local surestart centre after my dd wet herself cos they wouldnt let her use the loo! Mindees and DD all love them as well and I have made all my friends at one of the groups I go to! They keep me sane!!!

chez
04-11-2011, 04:24 PM
The other reason I dont go to the church one any more is that they charge £2.50 a child (not a family) so its a rather expensive group, you provide the childrens snack and drinks plus theres a craft rota.

mummyMia
04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I love going to church groups. They are so much more friendly than the SureStart ones. At the SureStart groups we are not really allowed to chat to other mums and get told off:(

Twinkles
04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
We go to Church based groups. At both of them there are elements of Christianity. I inform parents when they start with me and so far it hasn't been a problem. I suppose if you object to the religious aspects then you just choose to go to different groups.

Nature'sKids!
04-11-2011, 07:37 PM
:eek:
The other reason I dont go to the church one any more is that they charge £2.50 a child (not a family) so its a rather expensive group, you provide the childrens snack and drinks plus theres a craft rota.

That's hellishly expensive!!
The most expensive one here is 1.60 plus 20p for extra children, but everything is included - lots of crafts, and fresh fruit, sometimes homemade cakes / biscuits, etc for both adults and kids plus hot drinks!
The others range from £1 - £1.50. All provide snacks and drinks, most provide crafts and story etc.

Mouse
04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Over the years I've been to lots of church based toddler groups, some better than others.

The one thing they seem to have in common is that the floors are always filthy! Mindees come away looking as if they've been crawling through a pile of dust :rolleyes:

PixiePetal
04-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Over the years I've been to lots of church based toddler groups, some better than others.

The one thing they seem to have in common is that the floors are always filthy! Mindees come away looking as if they've been crawling through a pile of dust :rolleyes:

I went to our local group for 17 years - all my minding time. It is now only for parents and under 3s as it is so popular and they had to cut numbers on waiting list. As CMs have a group elsewhere, they have been cut as have the older pre schoolers as they usually go to nursery too. I am quite sad about it - as are other CMs but can see we were holding up the limited spaces. If there is a change we will be informed:thumbsup:

Oh and the floor has been filthy all that time - even though I know it gets cleaned weekly :laughing: I always warned parents, especially parents of the crawlers :thumbsup:

julie w
04-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I have been going to a local playgroup for 16 years . Its been running for about 30 years and I dont think much has changed. The only thing that affects me is that they always have biscuits and squash. As childminders we are not suposed to give them to mindees, but their reasoning is, its been fine for 30 year so no need to change.

chez
04-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Why cant you give them a biscuit and squash?
as long as its part of a balanced diet I see nothing wrong with it.

And the floor in the toddler group mum runs is clean, and carpeted I know Im the cleaner

xgemx
05-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Yes i go to playgroups at church halls i love them we go to a different one every day and the most expensive is £2.00 but thats for the whole family not per child

Nature'sKids!
05-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Most squash contains sweeteners and preservatives (sodium benzoate and aspartame) and these additives are actually banned in goods for kids under 3 (even on fruit shoots it says not suitBle for under 3's. Doesn't mention the reason - just the choking hazard, but they're covering their backs... :(
Biscuits I don't see a huge problem
With, as long as allergies are considered - peanuts especially.

ozzy10
05-11-2011, 05:43 PM
We attened 2 toddler groups 1 in a church hall and the other at the local school, which I for some reason thought would be a good idea for me to take over running! What hard work that is but so rewarding to see the children happy!

funemnx
05-11-2011, 10:22 PM
I attend a church group on a Wednesday - the people are lovely, the children love it, it's a huge venue with lots of activities plus they do coffeeeee...... heaven :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
06-11-2011, 10:40 AM
I used to attend a couple but they have boiling hot drinks for the parents at both, which the adults (parents and CMs alike) just stick on the floor and don't really watch. I've seen LOs grab hot drinks in both venues (and spilt hot liquid on themselves) and risk assessed them as too dangerous to attend as a result as I cannot possibly watch 2 or 3 children every minute. :(