PDA

View Full Version : Taking on an assistant

handeme
03-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Wonder if you could all help and advise?

I currently dont do school runs (apart for my own child) so the most amount of children I have is the 3 unders and my own 5 year old.

Anyway would Ofsted allow this, if I request a variation on my certificate to include an assistant and up my unders by 3?

I am getting lots of enquiries for an early years place but I dont have the space so was thinking of not doing school runs (I dont get enquiries for any anway, there is a really cheap out of school club by me)

I already have someone in mind for the assistants job and she would jump at the chance, has anyone done this?

C x

rosebud
03-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I am in the process of doing this but its for my other half who has just been made redundant, I wouldn't do it otherwise.
You need to think really hard whether it will actually be worth it. You'll have to pay an assistant at least minimum wage and depending on your hourly rate if you can't fill all three of the extra spaces then it may not be worth your while. Even if you only have one extra child you will need to use your assistant and your hourly rate for the extra child won't cover even her wages let alone any extra expenses. If you fill two spaces then you'll probably cover her wages but not make anything extra after expenses. Its probably only worth it if you are confident you can fill 3 extra spaces. Ofsted may also not allow you to have 3 extra depending on space.

sandy64
03-11-2011, 05:45 PM
hi i have an assistant shes self employed works when i need her ofsted allowed me to double numbers we have 5 under 5 have been granted 4 over 5 but i dont want older children were busy enough its great we work very well together only downside is extra paperwork lol but kids are all happy get on well wish i would of done it years ago:) it may take awhile for her crb and ey2 form to go through mine was quick about a month but can be longer id say if you get the right person it can work well:)