PDA

View Full Version : Food Receipts - IMPORTANT

deeb66
15-05-2008, 12:31 PM
As you all know it became a requirement in January 2006 for childminders to register as a food operating business......even if they were only providing snacks and drinks.

As a food business operator we are required to keep ALL invoices and receipts for ANY and ALL food purchases relating to our business regardless of how much it cost!

So although the Inland Revenue states that we don't have to keep receipts for anything under £10 The Food Standards Agency are now telling us that we do if the purchase relates to food!

It is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT so that food can be traced back to where it came from.

This is laid out in the new NCMA Members Handbook which has just been issued (2008/2009)

Blaze
15-05-2008, 12:32 PM
:panic: Well tough...up until now! :rolleyes: Will do in future...thanks Dee!:):)

crazybones
15-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Oh no! I understand the thinking behind it but what a palava that will be. I think I will have to ask the parents to provide everything and we will be back to junk food lunch boxes :rolleyes:

ajs
15-05-2008, 12:34 PM
thanks dee
i will have to move to a bigger house soon just to keep all of the paperwork that we're expected to have

tomthumb
15-05-2008, 12:35 PM
This is going to make things difficult. I do my shopping for my family and mindees together. This is going to be so hard to work out what's what! Especially as I cook the same for everyone (family and mindees, luckily they like everything!)

Elodie

nell57
15-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks Dee

Where would we be without you:D

Helen

deeb66
15-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I have always kept my receipts anyway as I buy the mindee's food at the same time as I buy mine and just highlight from the shopping bill and add that to my accounts.

It is also easier for me to do this as I don't necessarily cook different foods for the mindees.....they eat the same as we do and I often freeze portions for lunchtimes etc.

As I do use my shopping receipts for my accounts then they are filed each month with that months accounts so this side of things won't change for me.

What it will cause a problem with is that I now need to make sure that I get a receipt for every little thing that goes into the childs mouth when we are out and about and on outings etc.

Have you ever tried to get a receipt from MacDonalds or even worse an ice cream van :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :panic: :panic:

How the hell are we supposed to deal with that!!!!!!

Pauline
15-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks Dee - well I will stuff all mine in a big box and they can sort through them to find what they want :D

katickles
15-05-2008, 12:48 PM
OMG thats just crazy!!!!:mad:

ma7ie
15-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Dee - well I will stuff all mine in a big box and they can sort through them to find what they want :D

Me too.:laughing:

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks for that Dee

Who will be coming to check that we have done this though ?

It is crazy it really is

Yeah Dee imagine asking the ice cream man for a receipt haha thats funny

Angel xx

miffy
15-05-2008, 12:53 PM
I can not believe we need to do this - it's crazy

How long do we have to keep them for?

Thanks Dee anyway

miffy xx

deeb66
15-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I can not believe we need to do this - it's crazy

How long do we have to keep them for?

Thanks Dee anyway

miffy xx

There is no specific time given.....you have to use your common sense!

But if you got a receipt anyway then you might just as well file it with your accounts and keep it there until you are able to destroy!

angeldelight
Yes but who is going to be checking them

Will anyone know if you dont do this ?

Angel xx

jmoff
thanks for that Dee.

We do not need to register with FSA in Kingston...I suppose they are the ones who would check this?

Jx

deeb66
15-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for that Dee

Who will be coming to check that we have done this though ?

Angel xx

I get the impression that you will need them if a child comes down with food poisoning or something like that.

If you can prove that you stored and cooked the food properly then they might want to track where it came from and investigate etc.

Or

If you went to restaurant/cafe you would be able to prove that the child consumed the food there!

miffy
15-05-2008, 12:59 PM
There is no specific time given.....you have to use your common sense!

But if you got a receipt anyway then you might just as well file it with your accounts and keep it there until you are able to destroy!

My common sense tells me not to collect the bloomin things in the first place! :rolleyes:

Thanks Dee

miffy xx

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Well I am sure that if anyone had an ill child we would say we cooked the food correct anyway because that is what we do - we are hardly going to say we gave it them raw or half cooked are we

Having a receipt proves nothing

I think the world is going crazy

I agree with you Miffy I feel inclined not to bother ha

Angel xx

mjw
15-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Dee I have never had to register with FSA I only provide snacks as parents do meals but I was told we did not need to register. :panic:

Mary

ma7ie
15-05-2008, 01:05 PM
My common sense tells me not to collect the bloomin things in the first place! :rolleyes:

Thanks Dee

miffy xx

Here Here

Here in Lancashire we have been told that we do NOT have to register as food businesses as yet so until then I'm not adding to my workload.

custardcream
15-05-2008, 01:07 PM
I dont have to register in my area at the moment either, I hope it stays that way too.
How ridiculous!:mad:

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 01:07 PM
I only registered because they contacted me otherwise I would not have bothered either

It was a simple form though and I have never had anyone call out and they said it was unlikely that anyone would

xxx

deeb66
15-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Dee I have never had to register with FSA I only provide snacks as parents do meals but I was told we did not need to register. :panic:

Mary

This is the exact wording in the handbook Mary

Since January 2006 new laws mean childminders who offer certain food services, such as providing soft drinks and snacks as part of their usual childminding business, are considered to be food business operators and so are required to register their premises with the local authority. Most local authorities ask people to register through the Environmental Health Department (EHD)

I do know that some boroughs have asked minders not to register....and are still asking us not to register.....as they do not know exactly how to deal with us.

Elmbridge is one of those borough's.

Runnymede sent out letters to all minders about a year ago asking them to just answer a few questions......you will need to check with Mandy exactly what else she had to do.

I don't know how Woking stands on the matter.

sarah707
15-05-2008, 01:16 PM
What is the wording for this food receipts thing Dee please?

Is it offering any common sense in terms of keeping them for a month from eating the food then throwing them away?

Because lets be sensible here, if the child isn't ill within a month it isn't going to happen.

Oh heck another worry :(

Pauline
15-05-2008, 01:21 PM
What it will cause a problem with is that I now need to make sure that I get a receipt for every little thing that goes into the childs mouth when we are out and about and on outings etc.

Have you ever tried to get a receipt from MacDonalds or even worse an ice cream van :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :panic: :panic:

How the hell are we supposed to deal with that!!!!!!

This is just what I was coming back to say - we often nip to the corner shop for milk or bits we have forgotten, do we have to go armed with a receipt book? :panic:

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Hahah imagine that

xxx

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 01:25 PM
In fact ...... I might start to take my camera so I can take pics of all the food I buy at the shop

Then when I get home I can take more pics of the food and where I store it

Then I can take even more pics of it cooking

Then even more of it on the actual plate

Easy !!!

Angel xx

wendywu
15-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I think i will say that all food including snacks and drinks are provided by the parents. That solves that one!!!:censored:

sarah707
15-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Don't forget photos of the temperature probe sticking out of the food showing it's cooked properly Angel!! :laughing:

deeb66
What is the wording for this food receipts thing Dee please?

Is it offering any common sense in terms of keeping them for a month from eating the food then throwing them away?

Because lets be sensible here, if the child isn't ill within a month it isn't going to happen.

Oh heck another worry :(

Here you are Sarah

Since January 2006 new laws mean childminders who offer certain food services, such as providing soft drinks and snacks as part of their usual childminding business, are considered to be food business operators and so are required to register their premises with the local authority. Most local authorities ask people to register through the Environmental Health Department (EHD)

You should also be aware that, as a food business operator, you are required to keep all invoices and receipts for any food products purchased for business purposes. This is a legal requirement, so that food can be traced back to where it came from, for example, if a child had food poisoning. The Food Standards Angeny (FSA) has told NCMA that childminders should decide how long to keep these records based on the nature of the food, it's product life,and the circumstances under which they might be required to produce records.

This includes receipts for under £10 as the NCMA/HMRC agreement on receipt keeping is a tax issue, whereas the requirement to keep food receipts is based on food traceability.

angeldelight
Oh yes silly me ! Thanks for the reminder Sarah ha

Angel xx

mum22
15-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Grrr - I understand the need to store food at correct temps etc - but blimey i only just bought a 2 drawer filing cabinet - wish i;d gone for the 4 drawer now !!:panic:

helen

ma7ie
15-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Grrr - I understand the need to store food at correct temps etc - but blimey i only just bought a 2 drawer filing cabinet - wish i;d gone for the 4 drawer now !!:panic:

helen

what were you thinking:rolleyes: even four drawers won't be enough. :laughing:

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 01:34 PM
You only have a 2 drawer cabinet?

I HAVE A ROOM !!!

Angel xx

mum22
15-05-2008, 01:36 PM
do you think hubby will accept a convservatory to store everything in - or should I go to the Big Yellow Store/Warehouse and take a long term lease on a big box thing?:laughing:

helen

wendywu
15-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Did the first day of First Aid on Sat and he said that foods can make you ill up to 72 days after :eek:

deeb66
15-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Did the first day of First Aid on Sat and he said that foods can make you ill up to 72 days after :eek:

Thanks for that......

I remember hearing something like that when I did my first adi last year and was trying to rack my brains and remember how long it was.

I did know that it seemed an awful long time!

crazybones
15-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes but what if they decide to sue you for poisoning them before they are 21 year and 3 months! Do we need to keep proof for that long:o

sarah707
15-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Thank you for that Wendy!

And Dee!

That gives us some idea of how long... plus we have to remember that some things go in the freezer for weeks or even months before we use them...

I suggest we just take a deep breath and keep each month's food receipts in a separate poly wallet ... no way can we fight this one, so let's just accept it as another paper gathering exercise.

Keep the same 12 wallets marked with the months of the year and as the month comes round again, throw away last years receipts and replace with this :D

miffy
15-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Think it's great the law says we must keep the receipts but doesn't tell us how long to keep them for

I will pray that I am not required to register and then I won't have to keep the receipts

miffy xx

Cazz
15-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Wasn't told that on my first aid course - do you mean 72 DAYS after eating something? Surely it would be well out of your system by then? Or have I misunderstood that? :confused:

Carole x

crazybones
15-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I thought it was 72 hours :huh: I am confused now too.

Spangles
15-05-2008, 03:26 PM
We only have to register here at the moment if we have assistants, if we are on our own we don't, however, that is going to change at some point.

wendywu
15-05-2008, 03:29 PM
No he said it was 72 days after you had eaten it we were all amazed as we all said that we would never remember what we had eaten that long ago. But i will double check this Sat.:)

Cazz
15-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Wasn't told that on my first aid course - do you mean 72 DAYS after eating something? Surely it would be well out of your system by then? Or have I misunderstood that? :confused:

Carole x

It must be 72 HOURS cos if it was 72 DAYS and it wasn't out of your system you must be seriously constipated! :laughing:

Let us know after Saturday Wendy

Carole x

Pipsqueak
15-05-2008, 03:53 PM

Mary

I checked recently and we were told that we do not need to register either. (I provide meals). I was told this by my DO, network co-ordinator and the Food Hygiene tutor!
May investigate this futher if that is what NCMA are saying....:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
15-05-2008, 03:56 PM

helen

:laughing: :laughing: Brian proudly came home the other day with 3 yes 3 4 drawer (foolscap) filing cabinets for me bless him. For my storage apparently - not sure what he is trying to tell me though:D

Pipsqueak
15-05-2008, 03:57 PM
No he said it was 72 days after you had eaten it we were all amazed as we all said that we would never remember what we had eaten that long ago. But i will double check this Sat.:)

They have experienced my cooking then!:D

wendywu
15-05-2008, 04:05 PM
No Carole he was saying that toxins from foods can build up and reach a dangerous level up to 72 days later.!:eek:

miffy
15-05-2008, 04:54 PM
I thought it was 72 hours :huh: I am confused now too.

That sounds more like it!

Maybe the tutor misread his information

miffy xx

crazybones
15-05-2008, 04:54 PM
No Carole he was saying that toxins from foods can build up and reach a dangerous level up to 72 days later.!:eek:

Gosh and I thought you were talking a load of old s*** sorry poop:laughing:

wendywu
15-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I will ask the tutor again this Sat. If Twinkles comes on again later can she please say what she remembered.!

But one minder on the course was saying that her husband was ill on holiday and she said it was the sun not food as it was two days after he had eaten the fish. We joked and said it could have been the food as it can take 72 days and she had to say sorry to him and admit she may have been wrong.:blush:

flora
15-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Have't been asked by anybody to reg yet so will keep my head down here on the farm and hope that they don't catch up with me :D

Rach30
15-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Oh for F$*&% sake !!! HOnestly what will they think of next ! well i have never heard of this , never been told of this and as i am NOT a member of NCMA will prob not find out about it. Therefore if i hadn't read it on here then i wouldn't know......so i'm not doing owt !! :laughing:

Gherkin
15-05-2008, 10:50 PM
In Peterborough they are refusing to register childminders as a food business unless there are two childminders or a childminder with an assistant. Childminders on their own do nt need to register as a food business yet as it would create too much work for the local area.

wendywu
17-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Well if you get ill through Listeria, it can come out up to 72 days later. This is caused by salads, dairy and pate (cannot find the accent on my keyboard). Double checked at the first air course today:)

crazybones
17-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks Wendy. :thumbsup: Scary though. I cant remember what I ate yesterday let alone 72 days previous.

Cammie Doodle
17-05-2008, 04:37 PM
We had to register here in Worcestershire .
Everything Dee said about tracing food back to source is sound advise :thumbsup: Although a pain for us beleive you me you dont want to carry the blame for someone being ill and ok it may sound that I want to pass the buck TOO RIGHT I do. I dont want someone else mistakes to take away my livelyhood. Hopefully it wont happen as I only supply snacks and drinks (a decision I made when I realised how liable I could be if someone got ill)
I shop for mindees and home at same time and just highlight whatever is used for minding so I have receipts anyway although I did not do this to be clever its just easier for me to shop for home and Minding all at once .
Thanks Dee for the information :thumbsup:

wendywu
17-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Well Annie if we all only eat chocolate then when we get ill we can pin point it quickly and directly even though it was 72 days ago. :laughing:

crazybones
18-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Well Annie if we all only eat chocolate then when we get ill we can pin point it quickly and directly even though it was 72 days ago. :laughing:

True I never forget eating that. :laughing:

miffy
18-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Well if you get ill through Listeria, it can come out up to 72 days later. This is caused by salads, dairy and pate (cannot find the accent on my keyboard). Double checked at the first air course today:)

Thanks Wendy for checking this out - I'm amazed it's so long and there is no way I would remember what I'd eaten that long ago :rolleyes:

miffy xx

angeldelight
18-05-2008, 03:42 PM
My god 72 days??? That is a long time

Angel xx

cloud9
22-05-2008, 05:31 PM
As you all know it became a requirement in January 2006 for childminders to register as a food operating business......even if they were only providing snacks and drinks.

As a food business operator we are required to keep ALL invoices and receipts for ANY and ALL food purchases relating to our business regardless of how much it cost!

So although the Inland Revenue states that we don't have to keep receipts for anything under £10 The Food Standards Agency are now telling us that we do if the purchase relates to food!

It is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT so that food can be traced back to where it came from.

This is laid out in the new NCMA Members Handbook which has just been issued (2008/2009)

I'm confused because i haven't had to register as a food operating business here in surrey. Our local council issued forms which we had to answer certain questions and then they would decide if we needed to register. Is anyone else near me in surrey and has had to register?

venus89
22-05-2008, 06:19 PM
What about if you don't claim for the food on your taxes but still supply it, free of charge to parents (eg for snacks)?

cloud9
22-05-2008, 06:21 PM
This is the exact wording in the handbook Mary

I do know that some boroughs have asked minders not to register....and are still asking us not to register.....as they do not know exactly how to deal with us.

Elmbridge is one of those borough's.

Runnymede sent out letters to all minders about a year ago asking them to just answer a few questions......you will need to check with Mandy exactly what else she had to do.

I don't know how Woking stands on the matter.

Yeah i come under runnymede i got the questionaire so i called them and they said to just fill it in and send it back. it'd be unlikely we would need to register but if i did they'd let me know but i didn't

ChocolateChip
28-05-2008, 12:51 AM
I used to work for Tesco and Iceland, with all kinds of fresh and frozen food, including deli and fish, and we were told up to eighty days for food poisoning.

What I don't understand is it's not the receipts that track the food, it's the batch numbers and manufacturer/producer codes that pinpoint where it comes from, so it's labels and packaging that we would need to keep. Most major supermarkets might have the same own-brand product ( or fresh meat for example) that comes from different factories, so 3 packs of chicken kievs that look exactly the same may all be from a different supplier, and there's no way a receipt would tell you that.

I haven't got room for receipts, let alone the batch numbers! :eek:

miffy
28-05-2008, 06:08 AM
I used to work for Tesco and Iceland, with all kinds of fresh and frozen food, including deli and fish, and we were told up to eighty days for food poisoning.

What I don't understand is it's not the receipts that track the food, it's the batch numbers and manufacturer/producer codes that pinpoint where it comes from, so it's labels and packaging that we would need to keep. Most major supermarkets might have the same own-brand product ( or fresh meat for example) that comes from different factories, so 3 packs of chicken kievs that look exactly the same may all be from a different supplier, and there's no way a receipt would tell you that.

I haven't got room for receipts, let alone the batch numbers! :eek:

That's an interesting point Nikki - thanks.

There was an article in "Who Minds?" about this but it still said to keep receipts.

miffy xx

angeldelight
28-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Well I have not been told so dont think I will bother - I will act dumb which is not hard to do haha

I have enough to remember and most receipts end up screwed up in the botton of my bag and then get thrown out when I have a sort out - I am not going to go through them all

Interesting point about the food though - think I might act like I know it all and make that point if ever im asked about receipts

Angel xx

donnahay0
28-05-2008, 07:01 AM
"I suggest we just take a deep breath and keep each month's food receipts in a separate poly wallet ... no way can we fight this one, so let's just accept it as another paper gathering exercise.

Keep the same 12 wallets marked with the months of the year and as the month comes round again, throw away last years receipts and replace with this"

This is a good idea Sarah - I think I might copy that one if it's ok with you.

Just completed my Food Hygiene course (refresher) and it said nothing about keeping recepits in here although it did state about keeping records.

miffy
28-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Well I have not been told so dont think I will bother - I will act dumb which is not hard to do haha

I have enough to remember and most receipts end up screwed up in the botton of my bag and then get thrown out when I have a sort out - I am not going to go through them all

Interesting point about the food though - think I might act like I know it all and make that point if ever im asked about receipts

Angel xx

I am not registered and I am not keeping receipts either!

Does that make me a rebel :thumbsup:

miffy xx

angeldelight
28-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Lets be rebels together Miffy haha

Angel xx

miffy
28-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Lets be rebels together Miffy haha

Angel xx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy xx

angeldelight
28-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Or ........

You could be the rebel

I will be the sexy one haha

xx

miffy
28-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Or ........

You could be the rebel

I will be the sexy one haha

xx

Now you're being cheeky!

You know it's me

miffy xx

custardcream
28-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I am not registered either, and was told to only register if i was asked to do so.

Banana
28-05-2008, 12:36 PM
I am not registered either, and was told to only register if i was asked to do so.

same here!
x

disney
28-05-2008, 01:11 PM
i am not registered and untill i read this on here i didnt know any thing about it. so i will just wait and see if any one writes to me . i only do drinks & snacks but if they want all that then i wont even provide that at the end im sorry but it all drives me :mad: x

chez1373
29-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Im not registered either im now panicing as i had no idea oops should i ask or keep quiet?

angeldelight
29-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I would not worry if you are not registered

Like myself I think they contact you first anyway

Dont worry

Angel xx