PDA

View Full Version : Are you celebrating Eid?

mummyMia
02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I just wondered if you all celebrate Eid al-Fitr or Eid-ul-Adha or both?
I am finding it really quite stressful trying to think of things to do for all these religious celebrations. My only mindee is 20 months and I am struggling to come up with anything age appropriate.:( Does anybody have any good ideas that I could pinch please???

moogster1a
03-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Your mindee is 20 months and won't have a clue what you're on about. Personally, I ignore all celebrations except Christmas . By the time they're old enough to understand, they're at school and believe me, there is more than enough "cultural understanding" rammed down their throats there!
I'd leave it and enjoy general running around and scribbling with such a tiny!

Sarahbelle
03-11-2011, 07:51 AM
I just wondered if you all celebrate Eid al-Fitr or Eid-ul-Adha or both?
I am finding it really quite stressful trying to think of things to do for all these religious celebrations. My only mindee is 20 months and I am struggling to come up with anything age appropriate.:( Does anybody have any good ideas that I could pinch please???

At 20 months, she is a little young hun. I would start with festivals that her family celebrate, possibly christmas, easter etc and then add in a flavour of others. I don't actually celebrate other festivals but just give a flavour what it is about, so that they begin to get an understanding of the of the World out there. For example, for Holi we might read a story about it and then make colourful pictures using paint (Holi is known as the festival of colours) and I like Diwali too as it is the festival of light and I can work that into the the shorter days as Autumn and Winter arrive.

I hope that helps :)

sarah707
03-11-2011, 08:08 AM
There are lots of global celebrations you can look at with the children once they get to around 3 and are ready for more structured days.

At 20 months children should be playing and following their interests.

If something is happening in the child's home or community life then you can follow it up with a sprinkling of activities, books, games, chats etc at your house.

Otherwise it's free play all the way :D

mummyMia
03-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks ladies! That makes things a lot easier:) I suppose the reason I felt that I should be doing something is because I only have the one mindee so if I don't do anything with her then I have no evidence to show Ofsted that I acknowledge any festivals. I think I have a book somewhere that has some photos of Islamic celebrations so I might just dig that out for her to look at. Hopefully that will be enough.

For Diwali I cooked some Indian dishes and we lit a candle which went down really well:)

Thank you!