PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know?

mrsb
15-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I know we are meant to keep in touch with the pre school or nursery that our mindees go to and write in the about me books etc.
I work at a pre school on all the days that my mindee is there so I know what he has done during the morning so what do I do:blush: do I still get the nursery to write in it or can I do it?

Or have I got it totally wrong somewhere and talking rubbish:laughing:

susi513
15-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Haven't started on my EYFS obs yet, but all I do at the moment is write in the daily diary that I collected x from preschool at [time]. And if relevant add a comment that they brought [x] that they made at preschool or note a comment if they mentioned what they did/didn't enjoy at preschool.

I would very much hope we're not expected to document all the stuff they do in other settings. It makes sense to have an awareness of what they have done in other settings, though. Eg if I didn't know a child had spent the morning doing gym at preschool I might make the mistake of expecting her to have enough energy to spend the afternoon in the park and a game of cricket. But tbh I doubt the preschool would give a monkeys what I've been doing with a child before dropping off at afternoon preschool !

So unless I'm told otherwise, I'll continue to make only brief references to what they've done in other settings (including home) especially if this enables me to show that my choice of activities complements what they're doing. I don't mean I'm going to base all my activities around them. I'm not an add-on to preschool, I'm a quality service in my own right. Just want to be seen to having a good awareness and interest in the child's activities at home and elsewhere iyswim.

I'm also trying to show links to other providers in other ways. By writing to schools about various topics, thought this would be good evidence to highlight to Ofsted how good the relationships between professionals are :D Eg, currently putting to paper agreement with preschool about accident forms as we are both happy to sign each others accident/incident forms but keeping due regard to confidentiality. Also be helpful if preschool leader changes in the future and new person has different views, don't want to lose the headstart I've got by knowing the current leader well!:)

sarah707
15-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I grab onto any grain of information pre-school / nursery give me and write it down fast before they change their minds and take it back :laughing:

Typical conversation...

Me - 'Has M had a good day?'

P/group - 'Yes, yes, fine'

Me - 'What has she done?'

P/group - 'Oh, lots'

Me - 'Has she been outside?'

P/group - 'Oh yes, we all went outside'

Me - 'What did she enjoy most?'

P/group - 'M..? What did you play with outside today?'

Me - 'Bye then!'

Lots of information exchanged there don't you think! :rolleyes:

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Hahaha

Angel xx

deeb66
15-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I grab onto any grain of information pre-school / nursery give me and write it down fast before they change their minds and take it back :laughing:

Typical conversation...

Me - 'Has M had a good day?'

P/group - 'Yes, yes, fine'

Me - 'What has she done?'

P/group - 'Oh, lots'

Me - 'Has she been outside?'

P/group - 'Oh yes, we all went outside'

Me - 'What did she enjoy most?'

P/group - 'M..? What did you play with outside today?'

Me - 'Bye then!'

Lots of information exchanged there don't you think! :rolleyes:

That just about sums up the conversation I have too Sarah.....perhaps it is the standard replies and they are taught to repeat them like a mantra :laughing:

Rubybubbles
15-05-2008, 01:58 PM
I must defend my local pre-school they are great at telling me about the childs day, they even invite me to their planning sessions, but it's over lunch and I have 2/3 children to feed:laughing:

Pipsqueak
15-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Blimey Sarah you are well lucky you get more info than what I would from nursery - I would get

me- hello Mrs xxx

Mrs H - sorry you will have to wait at the door and we will send the child out to you - you know the rules

me - erm yes but could I just ask how xx day has been

Mrs H - I really don't have the time to talk about it now, its up on the wall what we are doing this term, now could you wait at the door like everyone else please....

hmm not sure how the work with other settings is going to happen here.....

miffy
15-05-2008, 04:45 PM
My playgroup are fine if I talk to them but it is a one way street - don't think they will ever ask me what I have been doing with the children

miffy xx

mrsb
15-05-2008, 05:56 PM
oo dear, I'll defend myself too as a pre school supervisor lol, I always make sure I let the parent know how much the child has eaten, last time they went to the loo and I always tell them something they have particularly enjoyed doing :) we all do at our one, I thought it was just the standard thing, obviously not though lol