PDA

View Full Version : aaahhhh 2 month old

jumping j
02-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a 2 month old starting on tuesday, I was aware mum wanted to go back to work quickly but didn't realise it'd be this quick!
I've had my variation sorted by Ofsted but now am getting a little worried about what sort of thing to do with the (very) little one.
On the days I'll be having him I have at least his brother 3 1/2 and another lo 2 1/2 on two of the days I'll have his brother and two 1 1/2 year olds. I'm not sure I'm happy giving the (very) little one tummy time while the others hurtle around.
What do you do when they have such a small one and older children?
And what sorts of things do you do with such lo's?
Any advice or ideas to stop me spending the rest of the week worrying!!!:panic:

funemnx
02-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Ahhh how lovely!! When I've had a very small one, I've put a travel cot in the lounge (where we spend most of our time) and put baby in it for sleeps and tummy time - when I can put the baby down lol! :D

VeggieSausage
02-11-2011, 07:42 PM
wow soooo tiny, don't think I could have left mine at that age. I think the baby will have to stay with you at all times, gonna be more like looking after with tickles, cuddles, peekaboo......good luck - you are gonna be busy!

miffy
02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Oooooooo that is diddy - have never had one start so young. I agree would keep them close to you at all times :)

Miffy xx

vaughny82
02-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Could you ask mum what she does at home? Maybe she uses a bouncy chair or swing that she could bring with her that you could put in a quiet corner? I brought my youngest son a playmat that has fold up sides so that i could protect him a bit better when i put him down on the floor to play.

littletreasures
02-11-2011, 09:23 PM
My present mindee started at 2 months. It's sooo young.

I have a travel cot with a raised bassinet bit, which saved my back from having to bend over so far. I kept this in my dining room which the little ones don't go in.

I also bought a bouncer chair which lays back. He loves this and does sleep in both. Tummy time was done on my lap while the kids were playing or in the travel cot.

Enjoy the snuggles. My one is now 6 months old and growing fast. I lose him next month as the family are emigrating to New Zealand. Going to miss them big time.

The Juggler
02-11-2011, 09:58 PM
i would use a travel cot, you can put a playgym mat type thingy inside it so he can have safe tummy time. you could also put the bouncer chair inside the cot when you need to to keep him safe.

Also when they are playing nicely you can sit on the floor and put babe between your legs and let him have tummy time that way.

soooo tiny though - i would love it:)

jumping j
03-11-2011, 08:12 AM
thank you for all you help,
I have a swing crib in a corner of my living room and a travel cot upstairs but think i'll bring that down stairs and put the activity mat in it
and i'll be going to find a bouncy seat too, i know mum uses one at home and it'll be usefull as 2 of my friends are having babies in the next year!!!
Now it'll be interesting to see how we manage the school and pre-school run!!!:panic:

angiemog
03-11-2011, 08:19 AM
I started looking after my niece when she was 2 month, she is now 4 months. I found the first month quite hard as she was still establishing a bit of a routine. She now has a 2 hour sleep in morning and an hour ish in the after noon, so I use that time to do messy play and specific things with the 3 year olds. She spends time in the bouncer but generally is only happy for around 20 mins then she wants cuddles. I do singing time/ stories when she is wanting to be held. I don't have my own children YET (i'm currently pregnant) so don't have alot of suggestions. I like the idea of using a travel cot, however my mindees are all now 3 and know what they can and can't do when she is here. I have 2 large rooms I use for minding so I haven't found it a problem. I also an activity mat with arch for tummy/play time. I think alot of it depends on the ages/personalities of mindees you look after. I do have a 13 month old for a couple of hours on one of the days and there is no way I would leave her with her for a few seconds unless I was watching. My mindees also play with her (by getting toys and waving them in her face) If I had them both for longer then I would use the travel cot.
Good Luck x

Jiorjiina
03-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Now it'll be interesting to see how we manage the school and pre-school run!!!:panic:

Get a sling?

jumping j
03-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Get a sling?

looking on e-bay for one now!!!:laughing:

Wendybird
03-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I am very much a newbie, but started when my DS2 was almost 3 months. Most days I have my 26 month old son, my 3 month old son and 18 month old mindee (who wants to smother DS2 with open-mouth kisses -cute and gross). I don't leave DS2 with mindee for a second as he loves him too much - DS is in-arms or in a sling or in bed. We just get on with it - even do a music and movement class with all three of them! When DS2 gets older I'll do the travel cot as a playpen thing. :thumbsup: