PDA

View Full Version : SHOCK TO THE SYSTEM OR WHAT???

VINASOL
02-11-2011, 07:25 PM
:laughing: Well, I am shattered! I've been looking after a little 19m old boy for a couple of hours once a week, so had him yesterday but mum asked me to have him and his brother this afternoon which was fine, then I signed up another temporary after school boy 2 days a week, so today I collected:

19m old just before school; his
4yr old brother
4 yr old Mindee C
My DD also 4
My DS 9
Mindee D 8 and a new mindee
B who is 7.

Let me tell you, for the first 20 seconds I thought OMG what have I done...panicking about the 19m old the whole time getting into what the older kids were up to...as well as cooking tea....new kid is very fussy so made him something I knew he'd like and I seriously had forgotten what it is like cooking with a young kid around :blush: :blush:

So...there is a question here lol...

How do you manage when you have after schoolers who want to watch a bit of telly to 'chill' and little ones who want to play but are mesmorised by the TV, and how do you stop little 'uns playing with older toys etc....

come January I will have a 2yr old and 1yr old siblings as well as my two current mindees (4 and 8) and my two kids (4 and 9)...

Pipsqueak
02-11-2011, 07:43 PM
older children know that there are certain toys they can only have up at the table or when the littles are not here/asleep

thankfully I have 3 rooms and garden the children can be separated in!

debh
02-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I work with my daughter who is alsoa childminder, tonight we had 9 children between the ages of 10 months and 10 years. They all just learn to play together and enjoy each others company. The little ones are content to watch the older ones play,we don't allow the big lads to kick the football if the babies are in the garden but other than that they do just all play together. We don't watch tv normally but if thats what they want to do then I wouldn't have a problem the little ones have a full day so they are tired by this time anyway. Sometimes its nice just to all chill out together.

VeggieSausage
02-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I am having a very similar experience to you at the mo with a 10 month old, 20 month old, 2 year old, my DD aged 4 (full time school), 2 mindees aged 7.....aghhhh! I asked another experienced childminder how she does it and she says that basically she has tea prepared before she does the school run so it just needs heating up or is in the slow cooker. She has an activity ready at the table and older ones either have to sit and do that or go out in the garden, then they have tea. She meanwhile starts to get people ready to go. Little ones are at the table too, playing with toys or joining in the activity. I find it all quite difficult and would be interested in what others have to say. I am beginning to regret the combo of children I have.

MAWI
02-11-2011, 08:09 PM
I know what you mean. My after school consists of 9 most days:
10 month Old
21 month Old
3 year old

1 Rising 5
1 7 year old and 4 over 8's

After school is certainly a challenge and it is the worst hour or so of my working day.
It only works if your organised I think.

I have snack and drinks all prepared before doing the school run.
I have 3 zones, playroom for EYFS, kitchen Diner and living room plus garden.

I have a playroom which all the children use but after school it tends to be the EYFS children as its all safe and no small pieces etc.. They use the living room for TV and Wii (after schoolers) so they are separated from the little ones, should they not want to play with the regular toys. I usually leave this for winter or wet afternoons.

My kitchen Diner becomes an after school area, TV, IPad, laptop and craft table for drawing, play doh and Lego building.

Quite often some older children will play outside and I'll stay in my playroom with little ones (patio doors onto patio/garden) and watch.

I think it's really tough, but my only advice is organisation and maybe try zoning , it's worked for me as before we just had complete chaos!!! I guess it also depends on your house layout. Good luck, it will get easier. When I first started minding after school lies, I didn't think I could cope with 2 of them. You'll be fine just give your self a bit of time

The Juggler
02-11-2011, 10:03 PM
i dont think it's the end of the world if the little ones watch a bit of tv with the older ones (all mine love horrid henry now :laughing: ). I have it on for max 1 hour after school and usually half my after schoolers will be found playing with teh smallword table rather than watch TV:laughing:

My biggies love talking to and looking after the littllies, they all sit for snacks together and chat then do crafts together or play outside together. As Pip says biggies can do crafts at a table away from littlies if need be.:)