PDA

View Full Version : Something for the older children?

JCrakers
02-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Geocaching...I had ever heard of this until hubbie went on a work trip to Germany and told me that they had been out one evening scouring the streets of Hamburg. I thought he was a bit strange at first but he took me out for a walk the next weekend and I became a little hooked on it.
Since then I have become slightly obsessed. It may seem like a pointless activity to most but as a child I used to love treaure hunts. This is basically a hunt by using GPS. We use hubbies iphone but a cheap gps can be bought off ebay.

Basically you log on to the website and find geocaches in your area. There are loads of them. By following your gps signal you find the geocache, make sure no one is about, sign it and pop it back for the next slightly loopy person. :D
Sometimes on a boring Sunday we will have a look for a few on the website and get kitted up in wellies etc and just go out for a walk. Gets you out the house and gets you healthy and fresh air.

I havent taken the mindees out as I dont have a car for work but my 9yr old dd loves to come and find them.She is very good at knowing where to look. DS who is 12yrs thinks we are a load of saddo's but hey..... :rolleyes:
:D

Pipsqueak
02-11-2011, 11:20 AM
lol I think there are a few geocachers on here!

I keep meaning to go for it but the way its panned out we are at a football ground cheering H on most weekends....

apparently there is a VERY elusive one near the theatre locally.......

smurfette
02-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Think it sounds good! What's the website?

mandy moo
02-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Never heard of it/them?
What is it/are they?
:huh: