PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

jumping j
02-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Just after a bit of advice,
When I first registered as a childminder I went with the NCMA insurance as I didn't know there were other options!
After reading various feeds on here I now know better!
Who's insurance do you use and what are their pros and cons?
Who do you prefer and do they all do the same sort of contracts, child information forms etc?

Pipsqueak
02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I have only ever been with NCMA so cannot advise differently.

what I will say though is please recognise that there is NCMA insurance and the separate part of NCMA membership.

NCMA membership - the NCMA lobbies on behalf of ALL minders (members or not) and does lots of good works. NCMA membership provide a voice for minders and ok recently they have lost their way a bit but I still believe in NCMA (well I hold out hope!)

JCrakers
02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Morton Michel.
Dont really know if it compares with anything elso as its just who I picked 4yrs ago and just keep renewing

Penny1959
02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Insurance wise there is not a lot of difference in price or in cover - although one or two differences about what will cover - so you need to check carefully that whoever you take out insurance with that they cover the needs of your business.

I have always found NCMA to be the best cover for me.

The same with the paperwork sold - not much in it - personal preference really.

However you do have to have NCMA membership to have their insurance - BUT membership is a completely separate thing - as Pipsqueak says - membership pays for all the things NCMA does on behalf of its members such as lobbying government and ensuring good deals are made for instance the amount we pay to Ofsted. Take a look at their website for more info on the benefits of membership and what NCMA do for childminding.

As I see it - if all childminders din't pay NCMA membership there would be NO NCMA and all childminders would be disadvantaged through not having an organisation to speak on their behalf. Then where would we all be.

And looking at it another way - if more childminders joined NCMA - NCMA would have a greater voice and impact as could say they represent x number of childminders instead of Y number.

Your choice of course but please remember the membership part of taking out insurance with NCMA does a whole lot more - and if you do prefer MM for your insurance - you could continue to have insurance with them - and become a member of NCMA.

Penny :)

uf353432
02-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Well I signed up with NCMA 3 yrs ago for membership and insurance and have just renewed each year - I don't use their paperwork though as it didn't meet my needs. I've not looked elsewhere because I am a lazy creature of habit and its never been on top of my priority list because I don't think there is a huge amount in it to make the checking worth my financial worthwhile.

Agreed that NCMA membership is a worthwhile investment for the good that it does in supporting the profession.

rosebud
02-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Michel Morton. I did NCMA the first year and didn't feel I personally got enough out of my membership to justify paying the price difference between just having insurance with MM and having to pay membership & insurance with NCMA. This is just my opinion though so please nobody shoot me down, I understand others reasons for staying with NCMA just feel its not for me.

rickysmiths
02-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Well I signed up with NCMA 3 yrs ago for membership and insurance and have just renewed each year - I don't use their paperwork though as it didn't meet my needs. I've not looked elsewhere because I am a lazy creature of habit and its never been on top of my priority list because I don't think there is a huge amount in it to make the checking worth my financial worthwhile.

Agreed that NCMA membership is a worthwhile investment for the good that it does in supporting the profession.

If you use NCMA Insurance just be aware that if you don't use their Contracts and Attendance Reg. the Legal Line may well not help you if you need it.