PDA

View Full Version : abit of advice please

murphy61
02-11-2011, 09:06 AM
hi all havn't been on for a while as really busy but i've been asked by one of my parents if her sister would be able to do a voluntary placement with me for her childcare course. my problem is that i don't want to commit to as i will be giving up in the new year and moving town but obviously i don't want to tell them this yet as i dont really want to have to tell the parent yet as dont want to ;ose work to early.

any suggestions on what i could say to them instaed.

uf353432
02-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Personally I would be honest with the parent. When you say giving up in the New Year - well its November now. If that was me - i'd want to give them more than the minimum notice to ensure they could find alternative care for the child/ren. Just because you tell them you are finishing and moving - doesn't mean they will remove from care after 4week - it might take them 8 weeks to find someone else.

wendywu
02-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Just say you will have to check with Ofsted by letter and see if it OK.

That will buy you another 4 weeks until the start of Dec when you will have to give notice anyway.:)

murphy61
02-11-2011, 09:20 AM
saying new year it will be february at the earliest. this parent only comes in holidays aswell.

kindredspirits
02-11-2011, 09:23 AM
if you don't want to do it just blame it on your insurance etc - or say, no i'm sorry but i don't feel comfortable with that - if you offend them it doesn't matter anyway! lol

Mrs Pootle
02-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't tell about moving until you have to.

I have to move due to DH's job, and so we put our house up for sale and I naturally had to tell parents as there was a for sale sign outside my house. Even though they were all happy with the care I provide, and it could take at least 12 months to sell in the present climate, they all decided to look for an alternative childminder straight away. Within 6 weeks of me telling them I was moving at some point in the future, they all found alternative care and gave me 4 weeks notice.

With hind sight I would not have told them, and would have marketed my house for sale without an estate agents board outside. This may sound devious, but I am now left without a steady income, and only my "ad hoc" mindees.
Good luck with your move :)

murphy61
02-11-2011, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't tell about moving until you have to.

I have to move due to DH's job, and so we put our house up for sale and I naturally had to tell parents as there was a for sale sign outside my house. Even though they were all happy with the care I provide, and it could take at least 12 months to sell in the present climate, they all decided to look for an alternative childminder straight away. Within 6 weeks of me telling them I was moving at some point in the future, they all found alternative care and gave me 4 weeks notice.

With hind sight I would not have told them, and would have marketed my house for sale without an estate agents board outside. This may sound devious, but I am now left without a steady income, and only my "ad hoc" mindees.
Good luck with your move :)

weve managed tp put house up for sale without sign for now thankfully, using an online agent so still on all the right sites for internet browsers.

Twinkles
02-11-2011, 03:25 PM
'I'll check with OFSTED' should buy you a few weeks.

'She will have to be CRB checked' will buy you a few weeks/months..

rosebud
02-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Tell them you are not comfortable with it and you think it would be more beneficial for their daughter to do a placement with someone she doesn't know. (this is probably true anyway) You can help them find another childminder who would be prepared to do it, its a free extra of hands so I'm sure someone will do it.