PDA

View Full Version : Dare I beleive.....could it be......

uf353432
01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
that after 3yrs I FINALLY have a robust foolproof method of planning, observing and tracking? I have revised my systems 3-4 times - not the whole system just parts of it and after a review again at the weekend I think I have finally cracked it. I'm all for reflection - but actually I am fed up of it not being right and just want it to work now so that I can get on with my job. Childcare is easy, the paperwork is easy - but finding a system that works for the long haul - gosh thats tricky!!!

RainbowMum
01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Well done you :clapping: I have yet to find a system that works well for me:panic: What have you a settled on?

uf353432
01-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Its tricky to explain but i'll do my best.

When I started I was adament I wanted to do learning journeys in a scrapbook format. I started linking orginally to EYFS and next steps in the journals but felt after a while that it was detracting from my books which were essentially a lovely book of photo's and comments on the photos. I also sent books home in holidays for parents to complete and I worried about the EYFS evidence being lost. So I removed all that and now the book is just photo evidence, pictures the kids have done, notes - they are works of art I am very proud of them.

Each Learning journal is in a zip lock waterproof envelope and in there is also a folder of their ECAT evaluation which I complete every 3 months, theur EYFS tracker and an overview of the EYFS for 6 area basedon their age range. When I have enough evidence that they are secure in an area the overview is highlighted so I know where to focus my attention on next. finally they have a next steps sheet - it dates the observation the next step is made from, the next step and the date I have planned it for.

I do a group overview planning sheet - monthly with activities planned across one week on a specific theme or celebration. These are planned 3 months in advance and will probably be reused each year.

I now also do a individual planning sheet - weekly overview. So this has all my EYFS kids on it and this is where I plan specific things for the individual - this will either come from the next steps OR from gaps from the tracking sheet. So today one of the kids was playing with barbie shoes and I did group work when she was playing using the shoes she was playing with.

Feels really robust and helpful - and more importantly workable. I hope lol!

sarah707
02-11-2011, 06:22 PM
If it works for you then that's what is important! It's so hard to find a system - I am constantly tweaking mine. :rolleyes:

Well done you :clapping:

uf353432
02-11-2011, 06:36 PM
now Sarah that isn't what I want to hear lol!

I did ask one of my very close CM friends who has been minding 6 yrs and ahe said she still hadn't found the perfect method yet - and was also still tweaking hers. I'd just like to be able to use this system for a year and give it a proper bedding in period - rather than tweaking it to death loL!