PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice please - would you mind a baby with oral thrush?

Cazz
01-11-2011, 05:01 PM
My mindee baby (9 months) was off today as he was unwell yesterday and mum couldn't get a doctors appointment until today. She thought he had an ear infection and also mentioned she thought he may have thrush in his mouth.

She's phoned this afternoon and said he hasn't got an ear infection but his ears are red because he's had a viral infection. He's got thrush in the mouth though and she's been given drops to give him 4 times a day for a week and then to go back if it's not cleared up.

Is oral thrush contagious bearing in mind he's a baby that puts everything (and I mean everything!) in his mouth? He's apparently not eating properly or taking his bottles very well because his mouth is obviously so sore.

I don't have him tomorrow anyway but should have him Thursday and Friday. I don't have any other mindees on Thursday - just my own 3 year old but I could possibly ask my mum to collect her from nursery and have her will he is here.

On Friday I also have a 2 year old the whole time the baby would be here and also a 5 year old after school, as well as my own daughter.

Would you mind him or am I best to stick to saying no for the rest of this week ( I feel a bit bad though because she's a night worker and normally sleeps while I mind the baby - although she may be able to get someone to have him if I definetly can't).

Please help!

catminder
01-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Oral thrush is not uncommon in babies and as long as it being treated as far as I am aware there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to have this child. I don't think it's caused by the same virus as other thrush infections. Hope it clears up soon and your mindee is feeling better.

jane5
01-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I am not sure about how contagious it is but I think I would have baby on thursday and friday unless they were very unwell in themselves.

I would just give lo a selection of toys and clean them thoroughly with antibac wipes after they have gone. One of my dc's have had oral thrush and I can not remember a problem with them passing it around.

smedlec
02-11-2011, 01:11 PM
As a mum of 9 and an RN, I have a bit of experience with thrush in babies. No it is not contagious unless you have some sort of auto immune disease where your resistance is very low. Babies get it because they have lower resistance themselves at first. My 3 mo old had i a bad case recently and by putting a bit of acidophilos (?sp) powder on my finger and into his mouth a few times for a few days it cleared up fine. In my experience antibiotics don't work too well. (Been there done that).

It is not necessarily from dirty bottles etc. Any baby can get it! Mine have all been breastfed and 2 got it as newborns, the others didn't. There's no rhyme nor reason to it. Much like any other bug/ illness.

Relax and enjoy the little one. You'll be fine.