PDA

View Full Version : sticking question

jadavi
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi, I have saved loads of wrappers, sweet papers, bits of packaging etc for gluing/sticking activities with my 3 year old but cant think of how to structure it.... we wouldnt just stick them down at random would we?

How have other people presented this activity and what is the mindee 'making' when he is sticking?

Any ideas how to structure this?

cheers
ja

Helen79
01-11-2011, 03:51 PM
we wouldnt just stick them down at random would we?

I'm absolutely rubbish at craft activities so this is exactly what we do :laughing:

You could cut out some cardboard templates and stick them on those, the sweet wrappers would be good for making xmas baubles decorations.

loocyloo
01-11-2011, 04:04 PM
i just give the children a pot of glue and a pot of things to stick and away they go! i'm not after a finished article and the majority of my children just like the glue! :D

sometimes i give them a shaped piece of paper or card, or a small box/pot to cover. i did cut out 'stained glass windows' last week and we stuck tissue paper all over them. they looked good laminated and stuck on the windows.

maybe you could sort ( with the children ) the wrappers etc into colours or colour groups and then do a colour collage or rainbow ? for example, for chinese new year, i collect red & gold shiny wrappers & paper for making pictures with.

Mouse
01-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Hi, I have saved loads of wrappers, sweet papers, bits of packaging etc for gluing/sticking activities with my 3 year old but cant think of how to structure it.... we wouldnt just stick them down at random would we? How have other people presented this activity and what is the mindee 'making' when he is sticking?

Any ideas how to structure this?

cheers
ja

There's certainly nothing wrong with random sticking!

Just give the child some glue, some bits to stick & something to stick it on & let them get on with it. It's all about giving them total autonomy over what they do.
You could give them boxes to stick bits on, or sheets of cardboard or paper. The finished product isn't as important as the activity itself. Even using different types of glue is a valuable learning experience (glue stick or runny glue).

If you wanted more of a 'theme' cut out a shape for them to decorate, but don't tell them how it 'should' be done. Let them do it as they want.

snufflepuff
01-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I just let them do what they want, unless there's something specific we are making....for example we made James' giant peach so I gave them a peach-shaped piece of card and pink/ orange/ peach coloured tissue paper.

miffy
01-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Nothing wrong with just glueing and sticking.

Some of mine just like the glue, couldn't give a hoot if they've got anything to stick in it or not :laughing:

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
01-11-2011, 05:57 PM
I like random sticking - the child usually tells me what it is when they finish! :laughing:

I also cut out shapes - butterfly, circle, heart etc to cover in bits or sort colours for a heart for example

Mouse
01-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Nothing wrong with just glueing and sticking.

Some of mine just like the glue, couldn't give a hoot if they've got anything to stick in it or not :laughing:

Miffy xx

I've got a little one like that. He gets through endless glue sticks! His mum even bought some for me when she saw them on special offer somewhere!

loocyloo
01-11-2011, 09:00 PM
i was soooooo excited earlier ... i emptied a box of random craft stuff i had packed up 7 months ago at my old house and has been in storage ... i found a 5 litre bottle of pva :D :D :D :D i'd totally forgotten i'd bought it !!! my first thought was "oooooo X will love it!"

going to add glitter and a touch of paint to some glue, and then they can all make fireworks on black card !!!

uf353432
01-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I have as part on my continuous provision a box with scissors, glue, stapler, felt tips, pencils and random paper and crafty bits. The kids will sit for ages and just sit and stick or cut or staple. What ever they end up doing it will be 'their' work of art, creativty is in the eye of the creator - you just have to see tate modern to get that. The process of actually making and the freedom to be creative is more critical than how beautiful it is or whether it fits a theme.

Joda
01-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I saved loads of sweet wrappers last year and cut them into small strips - the mindee's made a bonfire picture on black card - flames etc along with glitter for the fireworks - it looked really effective!

primula
01-11-2011, 09:52 PM
we just stuck the wrappers on the window, randomly ofcourse!!

The Juggler
01-11-2011, 10:07 PM
i hardly ever do anything really structured with gluing hon. today I did cut out some crown shapes (we're doing castles and princess and frog at the moment) and gave them lots of sparklies to stick on the crown but however they wanted. In fact one of my 2 year olds decided to cut her crown into small pieces then decorate with glue and glitter, so it wasn't really a crown at all but there were lots of gorgeous small pieces :laughing: she had a really good time.

Just use a sheet of card and let them get on with it :thumbsup: maybe as it's nearly 5th november use some black card and use the sweetie wrappers AND some glitter for a fireworks display picture :thumbsup:

jadavi
02-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks - lots of ideas. I totally agree and condone free art but just felt I had to put some sort of ideas out there as to what we could do...also every day the same sticking stuff on the table gets boring....

The Juggler
03-11-2011, 09:11 AM
I really dont' think it does get boring for the kids hon. as long as you alternate the paper to glue onto i.e. paper plates, card, paper, shiny card, decorate paper tubes, cut out shapes and alternate the sticking materials.

in fact most of mine enjoy the glue more than the things to stick on - sometimes I have a sheet of just glue to dry for them with nothing stuck on it but they watch the glue for ages when they are busy with it.

Helen Dempster
03-11-2011, 09:33 AM
We do both - random sticking and structured sticking, it all depends. Alot of the time, I just get all the craft boxes out and the glue, set it all up and add children! I do sometimes have an end product, as I like to put things in their LJs and art folders, but much of the time they just get in a complete mess, have lots of fun, then the whole lot goes in the bin cos it's just one big sticky messy pile :laughing: