PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your Fire Extingisher?

KelliDoug
01-11-2011, 12:27 PM
I know it seems like a silly question, but I'm in a two story flat above shops and was wondering where is the best place to keep the fire extingisher? I don't believe they are required by OFSTED, but I feel better knowing there's one in the home. Is the kitchen best?

Thank you,

Kelli

JCrakers
01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I have a fire blanket in the kitchen. Suitable for pan fires.

I dont really know a lot about fire extinguishers but I think it depends on what sort it is...foam, powder etc.
Hubbie had one in the office for a while, it was for electrical fires but it ran out of date and he never renewed it.
Hope someone can shed some light :D

boxtree7
01-11-2011, 12:37 PM
oops do we need one .... ive got my fire blanket hanging in the kitchen.

Tealady
01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Near a fire exit. A fire extinguisher should only be used to extinguish a fire that's blocking your escape route.

If you do have a fire, your main priority is getting out of there, not trying to put it out.

Just read that back and it sounds a bit blunt... not meant to :)

Helen79
01-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't have one, just have a fire blanket in the kitchen.
If there's a fire, my priority is getting the children out, not putting the fire out. I wouldn't have a clue how to use a fire extinguisher anyway :panic:

I'm in a 1st floor flat and do worry about the stairs getting blocked by fire so would probably put it in the hall near the top of the stairs if I had room for one.

KelliDoug
01-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Oh absolutely my first priority would be to get the children and myself to safety!!

I suppose I should elaborate. When I had my pre-inspection visit the OFSTED inspector told me that it's not required to have one but she recommended it. She went on to say that she knows of a few instances where a small fire could have easily been put out had the person had a fire extingisher. One was a fan falling onto the bed which overheated and caught the bed on fire. She said the poor woman lost everything.

My thoughts are more for my escape, as I am the last flat in a block of six, therefore it might be needed for exiting the building. Let's hope that never happens. My neighbor's washing machine caught on fire last week, so I'm probably a bit over-worried at the moment.

I've purchased an "all purpose" fire extingisher that works on any house or auto type fires including electrical. You litterally pull a tab, point and squeeze aiming for the base of the fire.

Thanks for all the assistance. K

babs
01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
leave fire get myself and children to safety then ring fire brigade pan fire place fire blanket over get myself and kids to safety don't look back again the call 999 or in my case go next door get the fireman up that works nights :-P

Chatterbox Childcare
01-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Crikey maybe we should have one in each room :laughing:

Seriously I don't have one just the fire blanket. You have to have them tested and inspected ever so ofsten too.

I think if there were a fire I would get out with the children and keep them safe, not tackle a blaze

rickysmiths
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
If I have read this correctly the Ofsted Inspector made a personal recomendation that you have a fire extinguisher ? On what basis, is she a qualified Fire Officer as well?

Your first and only duty is to get out, if you can, and raise the alarm. Things are things and can be replaced life can not.

When I was at work I was sent on a full day course to learn how to use a fire extinguisher the right way.

If I were you, before going to the expense of buying one and then having to pay for it to be fixed to the wall the right way and tested every year. Ring your local Fire Station and book a Home Safety Visit. The Fire people will then assess your home and advise you what to do in case there is a Fire.

We have a Fire Blanket because we are told to but having worked in the catering trade and seen chip pan fires I have never seen anyone use one and nor would I. I would get out, raise the alarm and let the professional deal with it.

I would also be writing to Prospects or Tribal and informing them of the 'Advise' given by the inspector and ask them to put in writing the qualifications she has that allows her to make such reccomendations, so you can record this with your evacuation procedures in your RA Folder.

KelliDoug
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Thank you for all the great advice. I will have a fire extinguisher on hand to make sure I can exit safety. First and only priority is to get the children out safely.

I have contacted the local fire brigade and will be interested to hear what they say regarding fire extinguishers and will let you all know.

Kind regards,

Kelli

Playmate
01-11-2011, 05:21 PM
We have one in the kitchen. Had one for years and like most never used it until............
During the summer we had a BBQ for my sons birthday. We have a Gas BBQ which we used as normal, but obviously something was more fatty than normal and the thing went up in flames :eek: Fortunately I was able to run for the extingusiher and hubby was able to use it to put out the fire. Our food was ruined but at least our garden wasn't :D
We have most definately replaced it, if only to use next time we have a BBQ :laughing:

mandy moo
02-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Ive had fire extinguishers and fire blanket for years (before I even started minding)
I keep mine in the kitchen, nr the door and oven.

smedlec
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I keep a fire blanket in the kitchen and an extinguisher in our walk in robe so I can grab it quick if I need to in order to put out a small fire. (In several past houses that was upstairs.) Really one on each level would be ideal in a readily accessible, visible place. Of course fire drills and plans are important too so everyone know how to use the equipment, what to do and where to meet.

Sharon

Pipsqueak
02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Oh absolutely my first priority would be to get the children and myself to safety!!

I suppose I should elaborate. When I had my pre-inspection visit the OFSTED inspector told me that it's not required to have one but she recommended it. . K

This inspector is NOT a fire professional nor expert therefore her 'recommendations' are utterly moot.

Ask ANY fire professional and they will tell you to get out the house and call the brigade. you should NEVER tackle a fire unless you have had proper professional training. a blanket and extinguisher is NOT recommended by the brigade. What they DO recommend every household to do is ensure they know their escape routes and that they are accessble, that you practise escapes, that you have working alarms.

do you know what type of extinguisher to use on what type of fire? do you know you can make a fire worse or cause further risk of harm or death and at best damage by trying to tackle a fire with the wrong equipment.

and this is NOT my advise or fancy this is from a fire professional.

rickysmiths
02-11-2011, 02:54 PM
This inspector is NOT a fire professional nor expert therefore her 'recommendations' are utterly moot.

Ask ANY fire professional and they will tell you to get out the house and call the brigade. you should NEVER tackle a fire unless you have had proper professional training. a blanket and extinguisher is NOT recommended by the brigade. What they DO recommend every household to do is ensure they know their escape routes and that they are accessble, that you practise escapes, that you have working alarms.

do you know what type of extinguisher to use on what type of fire? do you know you can make a fire worse or cause further risk of harm or death and at best damage by trying to tackle a fire with the wrong equipment.

and this is NOT my advise or fancy this is from a fire professional.

I agree with this.

I would never have an extinguisher in the house. As a childminder check with your insurance companies both household and pub liability where you stand if you use the wrong one.

As a business I suspect if you have one you should the way a school or nursery does, have it fixed on the wall in the correct space and if you have one you may find you have to have more than one, so one in each room used for minding, properly fixed to the wall.

You would then have to pay to have them tested by a professional company each year and have them signed off.

Madness on the word on an Ofsted Inspector who is not qualified to advise on such things.

I only pay lip service and object to having a Fire Blanket on the wall in my home that i wouldn't ever dream of using and I have had training to use these things.

Pipsqueak
02-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I agree with this.

I would never have an extinguisher in the house. As a childminder check with your insurance companies both household and pub liability where you stand if you use the wrong one.

As a business I suspect if you have one you should the way a school or nursery does, have it fixed on the wall in the correct space and if you have one you may find you have to have more than one, so one in each room used for minding, properly fixed to the wall.

You would then have to pay to have them tested by a professional company each year and have them signed off.

Madness on the word on an Ofsted Inspector who is not qualified to advise on such things.

I only pay lip service and object to having a Fire Blanket on the wall in my home that i wouldn't ever dream of using and I have had training to use these things.

totally agree Ricky.
I only have a blanket to pay lip service too. I can't see that I would ever use it tbh.