PDA

View Full Version : Bird feeders

Tatia
15-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Just a few ideas for feeding birds. PLease add your own!

Tie string around an apple, paint it with peanut butter and roll it in birdseed, hang from nearest tree. Or cut a bagel in half, tie a bit of string through the hole, spread with peanut butter, dip that in birdseed and hang from tree.

Soon as the rain lets up, I'm gonna do this with the little ones and put them on the cherry tree (the feeders, not the midees!:D ). I'm hoping we can do a bit of birdwatching with the camera and video.

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Thats a great idea thanks for that Tatia

Angel xx

sarah707
15-05-2008, 10:25 AM
We have made the bird cake from here - minus peanuts as I have 2 anaphylactic children in the house :rolleyes:

Don't know if it's nice or not - the birds didn't tell us :laughing:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/youth/makeanddo/activities/birdcake.asp?mode=adults

Pauline
15-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I like that too! Very good idea. :thumbsup:

another idea, cut a hole half way down a plastic milk bottle, fill the bottom with seeds mixed into melted lard, when it has set hang the bottle up from the handle, the birds will get in through the hole and the angle of it hanging will keep the rain out.

I used to use yogurt pots but the fat would melt in summer and it would all drop out!! This way it is kept inside the bottle.

Tatia
15-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Sarah, you just gave me a thought. If you have children with nut allergies, then you could always use cheese spread or even (gag, yuck, spit, gross), marmite or something like that for the birdseed to stick to instead f the peanut butter.

I'm gonna check out the bird cakes. Now that cats don't dare venture into our garden (thanks to the greyhound), I feel I can feed the birds again. Felt I was just baiting them before!

Tatia
15-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Oooh thanks, Pauline. My neighbours are gonna love my new tree decorations! Although they can take the milk jugs home with them.

And (from the site Sarah posted) -

Note that bird seed, including peanuts bought for birds, is not suitable for human consumption.

Well, heck! There goes my lunch menu out the window!:rolleyes: :ROFL1:

ruby
15-05-2008, 10:34 AM
we did the milk bottle ones last month but lik the idea of the apple ones

will have a go next week

thanks cathy

sarah707
15-05-2008, 11:06 AM
or even (gag, yuck, spit, gross), marmite

I will not show my dd this...

She will be very upset that you have dared to say those things about her beloved Marmite... :p

Thank you for the ideas! :D

miffy
16-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the ideas

miffy xx