PDA

View Full Version : new mindee for 45mins 2 times a week!!!

lulubelle
31-10-2011, 08:21 PM
obviously normally this isnt something i would really consider BUT he is the younger brother of current mindee who goes to nursery 8-6 everyday (they were both in the nursery before c joined me as a before/after school mindee) anyway mum/dad struggling to get back home in time to pick him up as both work 2 hrs away so have asked me to pick him up.

i thought fine, extra bit of money, doesnt clash with other mindees etc. anyway called ofsted today to see what i need to do about learning journals as i thought it would be madness trying to do them to be told that yes he still needs to have a learning journal etc!

by the time we get back he will be here MAX 30 mins and very tired from a full day in nursery!

what would you guys do activity etc wise? is it just me that thinks this is mad?

xgemx
31-10-2011, 08:25 PM
I thought as it was less than 2 hours you could do it without all the paperworks as i didnt think you needed to be registered to look after a child for less than 2 hours

mushpea
31-10-2011, 08:26 PM
i would get parents to sign somthing to say they dont want you to do a LJ other than that I would take the odd picture on the walk home and pics of him playing with the toys and go from there,, the walk home could invovle alsorts like listening to birds, counting cars, colours of leaves etc, at home if he's playing with toys just note down what he did with them,, pushing a toy car back and forth could be him using his imagination so thats creative development
I wouldnt put any activitys out for him but just observe what he does do.
and yes I think its madness you have to still do one

mushpea
31-10-2011, 08:26 PM
I thought as it was less than 2 hours you could do it without all the paperworks as i didnt think you needed to be registered to look after a child for less than 2 hours

but isnt that two hours without pay?

PixiePetal
31-10-2011, 08:29 PM
LJs are relative to how much you have a child so a few photos showing areas of development with a quick note should be enough and any 'wow' moments you notice

rosebud
31-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Did they say you have to have a LJ or did they say you have to implement the EYFS? If you only have to implement the EYFS this is easy as it is based on individual need, so if the child needs to have quiet time at that time of day because they are tired and you let them do so then you have done your job.

uf353432
31-10-2011, 09:05 PM
I would buy a little A6 or A5 notepad and just write any little observations in there on the days you have him. If picking up from nursery you can make comments about anything he may have done there. Activity wise - I wouldn't plan anything per se - but be prepared to get something out there and then if he expresses an interest - then you have done the next steps all at the same time. But this is proportionate to the time you have with him - so you might not have lots of observations on him after his initial bedding in time.

lulubelle
31-10-2011, 09:15 PM
i would get parents to sign somthing to say they dont want you to do a LJ other than that I would take the odd picture on the walk home and pics of him playing with the toys and go from there,, the walk home could invovle alsorts like listening to birds, counting cars, colours of leaves etc, at home if he's playing with toys just note down what he did with them,, pushing a toy car back and forth could be him using his imagination so thats creative development
I wouldnt put any activitys out for him but just observe what he does do.
and yes I think its madness you have to still do one

unfortuantly have to drive as nursery to far away to walk and get back in time for other parents to collect etc!

thanks for all the other ideas tho, i was already thinking about getting parents to write something along the lines of he is in nursery all day and dont want him having to do loads of activities etc and just allow him to play so i can observe there etc

Maza
31-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Could you do a sort of continous provision sheet and evaluate/update it each month or so? I wouldn't plan big activities (you won't have time to complete them anyway) but you would naturally have a few age appropriate toys/books available and some mark making tools etc. Have something available for each area of learning and maybe try and link it to topics that he is doing at nursery.