PDA

View Full Version : guinea pig or rabbit

foxy lady
31-10-2011, 11:35 AM
im looking to get an indoor cage and a pet for the playroom cant decide on a rabbit or guinea pig what do you guys think????????

madison
31-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Well we've had both rabbit and guinea pig and must say the children prefer the guinea pigs as they make lovely noises as if talking to them, they also sit still on their laps then they stroke them, they really are lovely animals, the rabbit we had wasn't that friendly and the children werent interested as much as the guinea pigs, my vote would be for guinea pigs:clapping:

miss mopple
31-10-2011, 01:14 PM
I have one of each :)

I would say guineas, as they are great pets, but if you go for them get two as they are really social creatures and prefer to live with company :thumbsup:

AliceK
31-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi

I don't know that much about guinea pigs but I do have 4 rabbits and personally I don't think rabbits make great pets for children. Unless it was very very very tame it probably wouldn't enjoy the noise and being handled by young children. 2 of mine are girls which I have had since they were tiny but they are still quite skittish despite being handled daily and wouldn't appreciate being cuddled by young children although they are very friendly. Rabbits also should ideally live in pairs. Also how are you planning to give exercise? Will it have a daily run in the garden or are you thinking of a house rabbit which would have the run of the house? In my experience rabbits can be fairly high maintenance if you don't want them to be miserable.

xxxxx

Penny1959
31-10-2011, 01:18 PM
We had a rabbit and although would hop around the outdoor area with the children and go right up to them - it did not like to be stroked or picked up. He would also kick.

We now have guinea pigs - these are much more friendly and although a pain to catch once picked up they like to be stroked and unlike the rabbit will sit still.

Penny :)

QualityCare
31-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Defiantly guinea pigs a pair they like company and are very gentle, l would never have a rabbit again (we rehomed ours) they can be violent and bite, l would trust our dog alone with the children rather than a rabbit.

watgem
31-10-2011, 02:10 PM
guinea pigs:) friendly, don't scratch, small enough for a child to hold but bigger than a hamster, ours is called Bubbles and the kids hand feed him and stroke and hold him and come to vets with me to have his nails clipped:)he's easy to keep clean too

anthea jane
31-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I have both, I actually breed rabbits, but wouldn't recommend them for children under 8. They can get scared easily and scratch. G.pigs are much calmer and will sit for ages on a childs lap. As already said they make lovely little noises, the children feel like their having a proper conversation with them!!! lol

jane5
31-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Oh dear nobody liking rabbits on here.:(

I had both, living together in the same cage and they were both lovely, very tame. I do think rabbits look cuter than guinea pigs.

Some people say you shouldnt keep both together but my vet said they were fine and they were great friends.

If any one gets both though you have to have a female rabbit not a male one because as rabbits are bigger than guinea pigs if you had a male and it got a bit frisky it could break the guinea pigs back :o

Princess Sara
31-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Guinea-pigs every time! Rabbits are lovely, but for children guinea-pigs are much better imo.

Guinea-pigs are smaller, friendlier (is that a word?) and eat less! Also don't kick, rarely bite even if scared and the noise they make is so cute!

Rabbits are great, I have two, but my lo has picked one up by the ears which can be so harmful to them, but when they're just hanging there it's so easy for a child to do unknowing how painful it can be for the poor bunny. And have you ever been kicked by a bunny?! It hurts! and if young children pick them up wrong they wriggle and kick and can end up breaking their back. Really not my choice for young children!

Get a couple of guinea-pigs, the children will love them.

Velleity
31-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Can you keep Guinea Pigs solely outside?
I'd love to get my children a pet however do not want cages in the house.

Jiorjiina
31-10-2011, 04:24 PM

It's not that people don't like rabbits, its just that they aren't very suitable pets for small children.

Debse
31-10-2011, 04:44 PM
We have both, my dwarf lop is so tame he comes to the front of the age when the kids come in t get a little tickle. He is a bit jumpy when giddy but really sweet. Guinea Pigs are awesome, very social and cheeky if your just picking one I think that Guinea Pigs would be my choice.

QualityCare
31-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Rayberrys
We used to keep our guinea pigs outside in a hutch with a run, in the winter we covered the front at night to protect them. They are sociable so l would recommend a pair.

miffy
31-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Can you keep Guinea Pigs solely outside?
I'd love to get my children a pet however do not want cages in the house.

Guineas prefer company - we had a rabbit and guinea pig that lived together for years.

Miffy xx

~Grasshopper~
31-10-2011, 05:46 PM
i have a rabbit and guinea pig that have there own shed in the garden they live together. guinea pigs do smell bad though, i had some inside when i was younger and they stunk lol.

id agree that 2 guinea pigs would be best for young children to handle and care for.

x

Narnia34
01-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Piggies every time!

We have 2 little girls who live outside all year round and the children love them. They make such cute noises and are very happy to be held and stroked. I personally wouldn't recommend having piggies and rabbits in a cage together unless they have been raised like this from babies, because rabbits can kick a piggie and injure it.

Rabbits are good for older kids, but can be cranky with little ones

BuggsieMoo
01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi

We've got both - a male and a female rabbit - both have their own hutches and we also have a male guinea pig (we did have 2 but one died). I am in fact picking up an 8 week old male guinea pig today as like everyone has said they are social animals and are best kept in pairs.

My Guinea pig and Rabbits are both very friendly - however a guinea pig is less likely to bite, scratch etc. Mine is very talkative and the kids hand feed him and sit there 'talking' to him. He knows his name and answers to it.

I would keep it outside though as they stink! You could let it come inside with the children. I do this and allow the guinea pig and rabbits free roam of the hallway and the kids all have to sit down - mine all come up to the kids.

Lisa x

mrs robbie williams
01-11-2011, 01:01 PM
im having major trouble with our rabbits and would recommend piggies anyday :thumbsup:

babs
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I've had both our rabbit was very friendly and use to lie with the dog. but for childminding id pick piggys have two Lovebug and gizmo they are very friendly and kids love them as much as they love the kids do think they own my fridge thou. lol. others have said they smell well mine are inside in playroom and don't smell at all we clean them out every few days and do a poop pick up every morning. only thing that does smell is curly kale if left in cage so take out what they don't finish. as for they eat less mine eat loads more than rabbit did but then they have more fresh veg less nuggets. .

appleblossom
01-11-2011, 02:29 PM

I had both, living together in the same cage and they were both lovely, very tame. I do think rabbits look cuter than guinea pigs.

Some people say you shouldnt keep both together but my vet said they were fine and they were great friends.

If any one gets both though you have to have a female rabbit not a male one because as rabbits are bigger than guinea pigs if you had a male and it got a bit frisky it could break the guinea pigs back :o

Years ago we had a Netherland dwarf rabbit and a Guinea Pig. The rabbit, although a dwarf variety, grew bigger than the guinea pig. The rabbit started mounting the guinea pig (they were both female by the way) and the stress suffered by the GP caused mange. This is a life threatening, very unpleasant condition which took several months of expensive vet treatment to clear up. The GP died of liver failure soon after she recovered from the mange. I'd never keep GPs and rabbits together again. Also, rabbits can injure GPs by kicking.

We now have 4 guinea pigs (all female). They are lovely pets for children.