PDA

View Full Version : Mindee and persistent rash - any ideas?

AliceK
31-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Hi
I have a full-time mindee (aged 2) and for the past nearly 2 months she has been regularly coming out in a rash which appears out of nowhere and then after a short while disappears just as quickly. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. Sometimes its like raised bumps, like hives and other times its more like raised welts. It can appear anywhere on her body. Myself and mum are mystified. She had it really bad at the weekend and mum took her to the out of hours doctors but by the time she was seen the rash had all but gone apart from a bump on her face. The Dr had no idea but seemed concerned that because it appears on her face it might obstruct her airway and mum has been advised to bear this in mind. Do you have any idea what could be causing it. There's obviously a common factor both here with me and also at home as it appears at all times. I'm inclined to think it could be something she's touching outside but then again it could be an allergy to something she's eating couldn't it. She's also been suffering from constipation lately but not sure the 2 are linked?
Any ideas??
Thanks

xxxxx

mama2three
31-10-2011, 10:22 AM
it sounds like urticaria. Ds had several 'bouts' before I had the sense to photograph it so at least i had something tangible to show when i went to the doctors.
He was on antihistamine tablets long term which kept it under control apart from occasional flare ups. It can be caused by pretty much anything - heat , cold , touch...

AliceK
31-10-2011, 10:28 AM
it sounds like urticaria. Ds had several 'bouts' before I had the sense to photograph it so at least i had something tangible to show when i went to the doctors.
He was on antihistamine tablets long term which kept it under control apart from occasional flare ups. It can be caused by pretty much anything - heat , cold , touch...

Thank you. Just had a quick read up on this and that's exactly what it sounds like. Are there any complications we should be aware of with this?
Mum took some photo's at the weekend and said she will take them with her when she goes to her regular GP but she has no plans to go yet. I will mention this to her when she picks up this evening.
Thank you :thumbsup:

mama2three
31-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Dont recall any complications as such. Every few months ds had to stop the medication to see if it came back , it can last from 6 months on but then just disappears!

AliceK
31-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Thank you :thumbsup:
That's really helpful

xxxx

watgem
31-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I keep Piriton syrup in the house because some of my children have this and we don't know the cause, and the doctor has prescribed something stronger for my daughter recently who came up with it on one side of her body-but we have no idea what caused it, would keeping a record of everything eaten/drunk be helpful? or perhaps backtracking when they break out to see if they came into contact with anything new? some triggers that we know of in our house include stinging nettles, certain washing powders and fabric conditioners, hairspray, woolly clothes and touching raw egg.

AliceK
31-10-2011, 02:37 PM
I keep Piriton syrup in the house because some of my children have this and we don't know the cause, and the doctor has prescribed something stronger for my daughter recently who came up with it on one side of her body-but we have no idea what caused it, would keeping a record of everything eaten/drunk be helpful? or perhaps backtracking when they break out to see if they came into contact with anything new? some triggers that we know of in our house include stinging nettles, certain washing powders and fabric conditioners, hairspray, woolly clothes and touching raw egg.

Thank you.
The doctor did tell mum she could give Piriton but mum seems reluctant to do so. I do keep some here and in an emergency I would give her some. I also suggested about 2 weeks ago for mum to keep a food diary, I write down and give a sheet to parents every day detailing what their child has eaten but I don't think mum is keeping anything her end and she usually chucks the sheets I give after reading them. If it were my child I would be logging everything but I can only do so much this end and if parents don't want to do the same their end there's not much I can do. I am constantly looking for triggers when she is with me.
Sounds like it's quite common. So frustrating though when you can't find the cause of a rash like this though.
Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Gherkin
31-10-2011, 03:01 PM
it sounds like urticaria.

I have been diagnosed with this - currently at the acute stage and in another week it will be classed as chronic at which point the doctors will send me for immuniology (sp?) testing.

Driving me bonkers as I have hives popping up all over me 24 hours a day, eyes swelling, and the occassional lip swelling. Am on a prescribed 24hr anti histamine as well as piriton syrup.

The hives should only be itchy but watch out for the swelling as if it reaches throat/mouth it can effect breathing although apparantly this is rare.

I was getting it occassionally at the start but have now had constant hives for at least 2 weeks. This all started 4.5 week ago although it feels like ages. Luckily I have short nails otherwise I'd have no skin left!!!

One of the doctors I have seen said "come in when its really bad" - my response was "but I can never get an immediate appointment". Its pants as the Dr says they might not diagnose what causes it and it could last years. Very disheartening.

Hope little one is ok soon.