PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal activities

NicoleW
31-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Okay so far during Autumn we collected leaves and made a collage, we laminated some different sized and coloured leaves and hung from the ceiling with string. We also coloured some pumpkins and hung them up as well, the baby I have especially loved to play with them.

Now... When do you lot start your winter activities? Now it's November tomorrow I wanted to start doing snowflakes to replace the leaves, but is it too early? And when do you start the Christmas activities is it beginning of December? I know everyone does it different but would like to get to know what you all do as I'm still very new to childminding.

The parent I have did comment about them hanging down from the ceiling and said she loved it and loved how the way the seasons change.

AgentTink
31-10-2011, 09:19 AM
In our home we are continuing Autumn type themes through out November as offically November is still Autum and Winter is Dec, Jan and Feb.

However alot of the activities that we are doing this month are overlapping with winter such as feeding the birds and helping them through the cold months. We can then watch what types of birds we get into the garden.

It is really up to you and what your children enjoy. My own daughter is obsessed with Rainbows and the Sun, and we still always incorporate this into all activities such as drawing pictures, playing in the wind, collecting conkers and leaves, because whenever she makes a pattern out of anything it always the sun and a rainbow :)

PixiePetal
31-10-2011, 09:33 AM
I overlap the seasons - will put snowy pics up etc when the weather gets wintery :thumbsup: I got some window cling snowflakes which will look nice but for now it is autumn leaves

sarah707
31-10-2011, 06:42 PM
We are still in autumn until after Christmas... unless it snows :D

Dragonfly
31-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Winter starts here in December:)

loocyloo
31-10-2011, 07:09 PM
my autumn displays stay up until christmas, but get added to with fireworks. i tend to have a brief foray into space in november, so have a few planets and space ships floating around, ending with stars, which then stay for christmas!

kel1983
31-10-2011, 08:14 PM
My autumn theme runs throught to the end of November. Then will change to winter. Usually I have a theme a month but as there is so much that can be done with autumn I have extended it over oct and nov

The children have been loving the all the halloween crafts and as of tomorrow will be looking at bonfire night. not sure what after that though:idea:

lulubelle
31-10-2011, 08:14 PM
glad someone else put this i had planned to do a transport theme in novemeber but i had no mindees in half term so still have loads of autumn things left to do, think we will drag it out a bit longer with fireworks night etc thrown in and start winter/xmas the last wk nov or so!

mushpea
31-10-2011, 08:29 PM
winter is officaly from january I thought so thats when i will start it,, september/october i do autumn then its halloween followed by firworks, remeberance sunday then a bit of what ever we feel like till december when its go christmas!

RachelE
31-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Autumn continues to the end of December and Winter then takes over til the end of March.

Its the seasons weather that is changing - its still Autumn, but we now have snow in Autumn too. I incorporate snow into Autumn now! :(

I dont go overboard with Christmas activities.
I am not a religious person and do not want to be hypocritical. I do, activities on most celebrations and festivals, but do not get the big hype of making Christmas last forever!

It soounds like you have done some lovely things with the children. Its good that the parents noticed! :thumbsup:

Rachel x

LeeMarie
31-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Winter starts in January here. We're just starting fireworks and then Remembrane day and St Andrews Day. I like the idea of moving from fireworks to space and planets :thumbsup: Then we start xmas the first week of December.

Maza
31-10-2011, 09:13 PM
I like to do snowflakes on a snowy day. In November I think we have Anti-bullying Week and Road Safety Week, or am I wrong? (Need to re-check my calendar!) I start Christmas in December.

Chatterbox Childcare
31-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Christmas starts tomorrow or we will run out of time to do everything

littleelm
01-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Christmas starts tomorrow or we will run out of time to do everything

You have to be joking? surely?!

We're doing Autumn and Safety (to tie in with road safety week) throughout November ... we'll also do bonfire night!

We're doing Christmas in December. I wouldn't start any earlier, the kids will be hyped up enough in December as it is!