PDA

View Full Version : there's a mouse in the house!

newandlearning
31-10-2011, 08:03 AM
We have no excuse no cats just a dog.. surely my dog wouldn't bring in a mouse.. whilst watching Downton last night I looked down and there was a mouse..

now.. spiders I'm okay with and many other animals.. but I've had a awful night sleep as I Kept thinking I could feel a furry tail under my bed sheets..:panic: :panic: ..

I was up till late googling for ideas to eliminate it.. the humane way or not humane way.. apparently if you catch them humanely you then have to drop them miles from your home or they will just tell their mates what a fab place they have found and come back in a gang...

has anyone else had problems with mice recently.. do you think they would just walk in from the garden..? never had to deal with mice (since being a child).. would a dog bring a mouse in..? sure dogs are too slow to get mice aren't they?

and lastly how would you get rid of it/them? :eek: :panic: :( :mad: :blush:

Roseolivia
31-10-2011, 08:13 AM
We have them in the garage all the time but one has now appeared in the kitchen. We live at the back of farm fields so always get them so they don't bother me. There was a rat in the garden a couple of months ago which freaked me out as i hate rats.
We've put a trap down for the mice, caught 2 in the garage so waiting for the kitchen one now. Ours aren't humane traps, only way to get rid of a mouse is kill it.

uf353432
31-10-2011, 08:14 AM
You can borrow my cat if you like - can't promise it will be humane! actually strike that my cat is actually responsible for most of the mice I have found in my house dead or alive. Look Mummy what I brought you!!! :)

I do have a trap in my bin cupboard in case, but have equally been successful at getting it in a cup and throwing it outside - never dropped it off mile away though - normally ou of the front door.

PixiePetal
31-10-2011, 08:39 AM
we live on a farm so little and large rodents are not uncommon - not seen one in the house yet though.

We have a terrier who deals with most things or we set traps (had them in the loft of old house) I am afraid if I saved them all we would be over run :(

They can live indoors and out near humans as we have so much food for them! so can cross over when food/warmth are about - change in weather may get them moving.

The thing I don't like is knowing they pee and poop everywhere :panic:

Mouse
31-10-2011, 09:20 AM
, only way to get rid of a mouse is kill it.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Should I be worried:laughing: :laughing:

JCrakers
31-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Our cat bought one in last week. It was in the office and was soooo fast.
Hubbie tried to corner it and caught it in a container but it died shortly after
:( Poor thing

It was so cute.

stardust
31-10-2011, 09:32 AM
I don't know if its the same with mice but rats urine is poisonous so anything they have wee'd on needs to go as it can make yourself and the children very ill.

I would run around screaming and then call my brothers/partner/uncle/grandad to deal with it :D

This is not helpful but couldn't help myself

'there's a rat in me kitchen, what am I gonna to do,
I'm gonna get that rat that's what i'm gonna do......................':laughing:

little chickee
31-10-2011, 09:33 AM
I wouldnt worry about having a mouse in the house.
But you do need to get rid of it and animal lover as i am i agree that you have to set a non humane trap.

b & q and places like that have them, peanut butter is a good bait. Mice run round the outskirts of a room so place the trap next to the skirting board.

Might be a good idea to set a couple.

foxy lady
31-10-2011, 09:46 AM
i have used the humane traps before and they are not that god really as you may catch the mouse as i did but it had died from shock and panic by the morning you could see how afraid it had been as it was soaking wet and covered in pooh, im sorry to say the best way is with a normal trap and peanut butter its instant and much more humane in my opinion

Nature'sKids!
31-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Lol
I'm pretty sure were talking about the little grey furry type :P

Roseolivia
31-10-2011, 12:48 PM

You're safe:laughing:

xgemx
31-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I have a phobia of them the thought makes me feel sick, i had them in my old house and it make me properly ill where i was so stressed with it all, the only way is inhumane to get rid try an fish stock cube on it if you have it or chocolate

watgem
31-10-2011, 02:17 PM
I can't stand them either but don't want to hurt them, however humane traps arent always that, especially if you are away for a few days:(mice are incontinent so there is a health and safety issue, we tried traps but they got wise to it and in the end had to resort to poison-we got the stuff that kills within 24 hours in its own little box, which we hid under a cupboard, not a nice thought I know, but they breed really quickly too, then checked for holes or gaps into out home and blocked them, apparently they can squeeze through a gap the size of a pencil!

primula
31-10-2011, 03:27 PM
My dog has caught a mouse twice!! you wouldnt believe he is a killer to look at him he is a Bichon!!( small white and fluffy!) it was horrible seeing the mouse's legs sticking out the side of his mouth! i didnt speak to him for awhile!!!!!!

Dragonfly
31-10-2011, 07:02 PM
[I]ts getting colder now so they like a nice warm house and come in to the warm, plus if you live in the country its part of the course im afraid.
Mice love chocolate, so set a trap with I know you dont want to part with it but your kitkat.Something nice about setting a trap and getting that mouse:) i no im sick:laughing:
people indoors,:thumbsup: mice outdoors

FussyElmo
31-10-2011, 07:23 PM
[I]ts getting colder now so they like a nice warm house and come in to the warm, plus if you live in the country its part of the course im afraid.
Mice love chocolate, so set a trap with I know you dont want to part with it but your kitkat.Something nice about setting a trap and getting that mouse:) i no im sick:laughing:
people indoors,:thumbsup: mice outdoors

Terry's chocolate orange worked for us. Still shudder at the thought of them being in my house :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
31-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Being in the countryside means that all kinds of animals take shelter in our loft.
We get lots of cluster flies, so thick that you can't even put the light on without disturbing them, then there are all the giant queen wasps.
The worst bit are the mice, who decide to spend each night running around in the loft, just above our bedroom ceiling.
Then they start to nibble and you wonder what on?

When DD2 was born, one mouse would come in the bedroom and you could hear it scuttling around, would keep me awake all the time and with a newborn who needed feeding almost every 2-3hrs at night it was exausting.
Humane traps did not work, so we resorted to a glue trap but I can still hear the poor little thing 'screaming' it's head off.

My DH had to dispose of it quickly as you can't get it out of the glue. He did not tell me what he did and I don't want to know :(

watgem
31-10-2011, 08:20 PM
you can get plug in sonic repellants, I don't know if they actually work, but it seems kinder than some of the alternatives, I can't stop thinking about that glue trap now:(

xgemx
31-10-2011, 09:40 PM
you can get plug in sonic repellants, I don't know if they actually work, but it seems kinder than some of the alternatives, I can't stop thinking about that glue trap now:(

I have tried this sonic one and in my case they didnt do any good :(

Ripeberry
31-10-2011, 10:04 PM
I have tried this and in my case they didnt do any good :(

Sorry :( They should be banned those traps. At least the old fashioned traps did 'the deed' quickly.

linzi133
01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
I had one under our stairs last year....it managed to eat a whole rucksack of treat food (put away for our hol) before we noticed!:blush: :eek:

I called the local council pest control and they were so quick in coming out and leaving bait for the mouse. Which he said would just make the mouse poorly and die. (not sure how humane it is) But after about 4 visits we didn't have a mouse anymore! We never did see it but we were told to pull all cupboards out and clean them thoroughly as well as all the benches in the kitchen (it had been in there)
I didn't cook in the kitchen until I knew it had gone....!!!!! URGH!!!

newandlearning
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
well.. at 7,30am it was confirmed.. one trap and one mouse..

luckily it had flipped the trap upside down so it wasnt as traumatic as I thought..

I've chucked everything.. and I have to say .. I feel a lil sad in my heart that he/she is dead..

but the thought of taking the mouse in the car 2-3 miles away and it coming loose in the car would have completely frieked me out.. and I'm not sure the AA come out to get mice out of cars :( ...

I really hope there are no more and this poor lil thing was the only one..

the mouse is no longer in the house :(