PDA

View Full Version : Dummy advice please!

buzzy bee
30-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I know a lot of you have your own children aswell as being childminders, so I thought you might have some words of wisdom...

A couple of my mindees (and DS) are coming up to 2, and are all dependant on dummies for sleep.

What age do you think dummies should be got rid of, and what is the best way of doing it?

Also, what is a good age for moving out of a cot and into a bed, and is it a good or a bad idea to coincide this with getting rid of the dummy (ie big girl = big bed and no dummy)

Thanks in advance!

Chatterbox Childcare
30-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I have two children. I hate the dummy and the other had it until he was 3.5 at bedtime

I would change the bed and the dummy will go in time but if you push it then you will have problems. I used bribery of the Easter Bunny leaving something special and it wasn't needed as he through the dummy in the bin one day and said "no more" and that was 2 weeks before easter

QualityCare
30-10-2011, 05:11 PM
A lot of parents l know use the dummy fairy, when parent decides they want child to give up the dummy they explain to the child that the baby fairies need them as they havn't got any, child collects up all dummies and leaves them out at night for fairies to collect and leave a small present as a thank you.

JCrakers
30-10-2011, 05:59 PM
My son had a dummy and we gave it to Santa when he was just over 2.5yrs. He was fine, never asked for it again.

My dd wouldnt take a dummy but sucks her two fingers instead...she is now 9.5yrs and still sucks them when she is tired :angry: Because of this she will need a brace.
I have tried numerous times to stop but can't

I like dummies but not when seen with older children. Also my son only had his when tired, as I hate to see them stuck in any old time and especially hate to see an older child trying to talk with it stuck in....:angry:

My son was around the same age for moving into the bed as I was expecting my dd and thought it was a good time to get him to be the big brother. So around 2.5-3yrs.

blue bear
30-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Does your lo climb out of the cot or maybe you are thinking to get the change in before potty training so he can go for a wee in the night? Does your lo have a cot bed? If so you could just rake the side off and he will be in his normal familiar bed and not much has changed.
Personally I would leave him in the cot for as long as it's safe and practical.

With regards to the dummy I think one change at a time. You need to be sure you are ready for him to give up the dummy, there's no point trying it and giving in after a difficult night because this will make it 100% harder next time.

Some children at nearly 2 you can talk to and they understand giving up the dummy to the fairies/cat etc and others are just not ready for that level of understanding so only you can really know if it's time.

buzzy bee
30-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Does your lo climb out of the cot or maybe you are thinking to get the change in before potty training so he can go for a wee in the night? Does your lo have a cot bed? If so you could just rake the side off and he will be in his normal familiar bed and not much has changed.
Personally I would leave him in the cot for as long as it's safe and practical.

With regards to the dummy I think one change at a time. You need to be sure you are ready for him to give up the dummy, there's no point trying it and giving in after a difficult night because this will make it 100% harder next time.

Some children at nearly 2 you can talk to and they understand giving up the dummy to the fairies/cat etc and others are just not ready for that level of understanding so only you can really know if it's time.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

No, LO doesn't try to climb out yet - is that when you should move them into a bed? He does have a cotbed, so we could take the sides off.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm 100% ready for the dummy thing yet. Plus, whilst my mindees still have them I think it would be confusing for my son if he's not allowed his for naps but they are. I'd feel very mean!

Boris
30-10-2011, 08:46 PM
My DD has just had a horrible dose of hand, foot and mouth and couldn't suck her dummy because it was too painful, she kept throwing it and saying 'don't like dummy!' I've hidden them all and just keep saying 'we don't like dummy do we' every time she mentions it!! :laughing:

We did dummy fairy with my DS which worked a treat!

P.S. DD is 22 months and she has been in a bed for a couple of months, although I wish we hadn't done it yet because she won't stay in it!

mushpea
31-10-2011, 06:55 AM
I took both of my own childrens dummys away when they were about a year old, I just didnt give it to them one evening,,we had about 3 nights of cyring to sleep from my daughter and then she was fine,, my son wasnt really bothered by it.
I also had a mindee who still had hers at 3yrs old! she would turn up with it in the morning and I wouldnt let her have it till she went home,, she never asked me for it then one day (after speaking to mum) we left the dummy out for the fairys to give to the babies and she never had one again.

marnieb
31-10-2011, 06:59 AM
my dd is 2.5 and we bought her a 'big girl bed' 4 weeks ago, and dh decided that day the dummies were going too!!!

I was dreading it, bought her a toy from the dummy fairy. We gathered all the dummies up & out them in a bag outside the front door (so she knew there was none in the house). We told her dummies are for babies, and she's a big girl now.

i wont lie the first night was hell, and she psnet 3 days asking where her dummies were, and I just calmly told her the dummy fairy had taken them for the tiny babies.

Now 4 weeks later she's totally fine without them. I have 2 mindees who have dummies, and she isn't at all bothered!!

Hebs
31-10-2011, 08:17 AM
both my kids were out of cots and into normal beds by 1 year old, :laughing:
daughter was a climber and son used to belly slam against the sides so the cot would lift up so for safety we had to change them.

we started off with the matress on the floor until they were used to it, then once they were used to that and could climb up and down from the sofa ok (same height-ish) we would then add the base of the bed.

dummies gone around 3 years of age but only allowed for naps from around 1 yr old