PDA

View Full Version : Equality & Inclusion question

Rosy Days
29-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi all, please could someone point me in the right direction with this? I am doing level 3 CYPW and my assessor wants me to 'show interaction with individuals that respect their beliefs, culture, values and preferences, by writing a reflective account, reflecting back on how you do this in your setting'.

Now I am struggling abit as I have not had any direct experience as yet of working with children from other cultures/beliefs etc so I can't relate directly to this in my own setting. So, I will have to make up some sort of scenario, could any of you lovely lot point me in the right direction using an example from your setting? I just need a starting point really and once I have the ball rolling I will be fine.

Many thanks xx:)

sarah707
29-10-2011, 02:43 PM
A family come to look around your provision with their child.

They explain to you that they are Muslim / Jehovah's Witnesses / Roman Catholic etc.

How do you react? What do you do? How do you adapt your provision to accept them?

You talk to them and find out what they want you to do for their child... is there a special diet they want you to provide for example.

You make a commitment to finding out more - but they are the experts on what they want for their child so you go back to them and check at every turn.

Hth :D

Rosy Days
29-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Thats great, thanks Sarah xx

Penny1959
29-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Whatever their background you ensure you pronouce and spell their names correctly.

You do not make assumptions about any family about their beliefs - remember culture applies to all - so for example Christmas is coming soon - do the family celebrate? What are their family traditions? Assuming they do celebrate Christmas - do presents get delivered to the tree? to the bedroom? to somewhere else? Do they stay at home or go to relatives? Do the children think Santa (and there is another one - is it Santa?) makes the presents buys the presents, delivers them on behalf of family? and so on.

What do each family believe when someone dies?

Once you get started you will realise that you have had lots of experiences and it will just be a case of expanding your experience to cover a wider range of families.

Penny :)

mama2three
29-10-2011, 05:30 PM
I added my inclusion and antibias practice project to this thread if it helps at all? - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90973

Rosy Days
30-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Great, thank you for your replies, its a little clearer now xx Also, thank you mama2three for sharing your work its really helpful x :)