PDA

View Full Version : to add to my awful morning that seems to have amused msny of you here

mufftie
28-10-2011, 09:00 PM
I had a call from the council ( I'm selling my 2nd house which has a tenant in ) telling me that they won't be rehousing my tenant by the completion date and therefore they have advised her to squat ! The woman was extremely rude and basically told me is have to go to court to get the tenant out :angry:
I not so calmly told her that its my house and I shall be physically removing her myself if she's not out by the date stated on. The notice letter I served .
I can't believe the council can give that advice its ****** rediculus .

And on top of that my phone is playing me up !

Think I'm just going to give up on life today and go to bed !

RachelE
28-10-2011, 09:05 PM
thats dreadful!

Just read this to my dh - he works for a housing association - he said - take this to the press - they'll love this and hopefully get you some help..?!

Good luck,

Rachel x

sarah707
28-10-2011, 09:07 PM
How ridiculous :(

I'd have an early night if I were you xx

mufftie
28-10-2011, 09:16 PM
My estate agent told me to write a formal complaint as they have to reply within 14 days and then forward that to the P.M as not enough people complain .
I'm fortunate as the tenant is a friend and I'm sure she won't squat but tbh people can do things they wouldn't normally do when desperate and if she's having that sort of advice and being pressured by the concil to do so then she's in a very difficult situation , and she does have a child to consider .
I feel awful kicking her out but she's all for moving if she had somewhere to go
I feel it could test our friendship somewhat

Tatjana
28-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Oh no, what kind of advice is that for the council to be giving out?!??!:censored:

Hope you have a relaxing weekend after your difficult day :)

jane5
28-10-2011, 09:20 PM
The council gave this advice to my friend when her landlord sold her home.
She didnt want to squat as she knew when she rented the house that the landlord may want to sell one day so even though she was upset, she didnt feel that the landlord had done anything wrong.

She moved out and the council offered her emergency housing in a flea pit drug den with her 3 children under 10 years old. :doh: She declined that offer.

She had to find another private rented house asap so the council got what they wanted. Her not to be their problem - job done!!!!!

samb
28-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I have heard this from 2 other friends in the last year - 1 selling, like you and the other was given notice on private home and trying to get on housing list and council told them to squat! Ridiculous! Hope it works out for you.

miffy
28-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Flippin' irresponsible advice from the council :rolleyes:

Hope you get it sorted and have an easier weekend! Surely nothing else can go wrong.........................................

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
29-10-2011, 07:28 AM
I was told this exact same thing in 2003 when my landlord sold the house I was renting!!! IT seems it's quite widespread!

Carol M
29-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I agree , you could take it to the press but as she's a friend it would not be nice for either of you, but the council need to change their ideas!
I remember recently on the news a pregnant lady needed to move back into her house and gave the tennant the required notice. She needed her house back to bring her child home to after the birth. The tennant said she had nowhere to go and refused to get out! This poor pregnant lady, who had done everything by the book was left without a home :eek:
Good luck Muftie.
Carol xx

Narnia34
29-10-2011, 09:34 AM
That sucks!

I think it might be because housing law has a clause in it about becoming 'intentionally homeless' therefore, from the council's pov if your friend moves out when you ask her to, without a court order, she has made herself intentionally homeless, and therefore the council has no legal duty to rehouse her.

I had a similar thing when I came off income support many years ago and got a job. It turned out that I was a couple of quid over the housing benefit threshold, so got very little and could no longer afford to pay my rent. My landlord and I agreed that he should evict me, which then happened and I went to the housing office to be told that, because I had got a job, I had made myself intentionally homeless and they wouldn't help me.

I wonder what will happen when/if the government makes squatting a criminal offence, will the councils still advise people to do it?

tulip0803
29-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Two friends have been told to squat by the local council. One had the offer of a council house but needed disability adaptions so it wouldn't be ready by the date that the landlord had given notice for - The council said that landlord should go to court and get an eviction notice and then the bailiffs would have to evict and that would take the 2 months the council needed to finish house! All court costs and bailiff fees were charged to the tenant!

The other finally got emergency housing just before the eviction date which cost the council more than £1000 a month just for a grotty 3 bed on a council estate (owned by a charity?! that buys houses and rents them as emergency housing to council!!!!)

mummyMia
29-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh, poor you!

My friend was also advised to squat by the council a few weeks ago because her landlord is selling the flat. I just can't believe councils are allowed to hand out this sort of advice:(

stardust
29-10-2011, 06:37 PM
I agree , you could take it to the press but as she's a friend it would not be nice for either of you, but the council need to change their ideas!
I remember recently on the news a pregnant lady needed to move back into her house and gave the tennant the required notice. She needed her house back to bring her child home to after the birth. The tennant said she had nowhere to go and refused to get out! This poor pregnant lady, who had done everything by the book was left without a home :eek:
Good luck Muftie.
Carol xx

All joking aside I would have moved in with the tennent and been vile to live with. Takes the biscuit really.

Ali56
29-10-2011, 07:00 PM
We were told the same by the council! We have to leave our home as hubby has had a mini stroke and is unable to work right now (house is tied-goes with the job) Council told us to stay put for now as its one of the hardest homes to evict from :panic: We were supposed to leave by monday. We have found another home to rent, but not til nov 18th, landlord fine with that. I'd hate to 'squat' its an awful situation to be in. I think the council say this as they have sold off so much social housing that there simply isnt anywhere to put anyone. :angry:
I'm glad we found our own place to rent as goodness knows where they'd find to put us!