PDA

View Full Version : Business name and advertising question..

Kezzle
28-10-2011, 09:03 AM
I would like to have a business name do I need to tell anyone this business name like ofsted and fis? Or is it just tax people when I start going self employed? Basically i'd like to print out some business cards and just wondered if I needed to ok the busines name with la and ofsted before I do.

sarah707
28-10-2011, 10:59 AM
My business name is for me and my website / email addresses.

I haven't registered it so therefore I haven't told Ofsted or HMRC or anyone about it.

Hth :D

Kezzle
28-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Ah k then, I didnt really wana tell those people as it was just for me and advertising try to make myself look professional haha.

georgiamb
07-11-2011, 05:26 PM
It's my understanding that as a childminder it is YOUR name which is regsitered and not a business name. Ofsted will only use your name unless you are running a childcare business (nursery etc) which a whole other ball game and even then I believe it is BOTH names which are registered. I think this is to ensure that parents know who they will be dealing with when they enquire.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with setting up a business for childminding. You've got enough paperwork to deal with in becoming self-employed! You just need to keep a record of your childminding outgoings and income for the tax man, you don't have to have a business name. You don't even need a business bank account. A seperate one is useful to keep a tight hold on what's personal expenses and what's business expenses but you don't need a specific business account for it.

Business cards are a good idea though, I'll give you that.

uf353432
07-11-2011, 06:05 PM
My business is called "my village" Childminding - but as far as HRMC and Ofsted are concerned I am registered as my first name. For all letterheads, correspondance, emails, website, business cards I am Debs at "my village" Childminding. Just personal preference really because there was another childminder local to me who did school runs at the local school with the same first name - and given her rep i didn't want anyone confusing us lol!

Kezzle
07-11-2011, 08:48 PM
My business is called "my village" Childminding - but as far as HRMC and Ofsted are concerned I am registered as my first name. For all letterheads, correspondance, emails, website, business cards I am Debs at "my village" Childminding. Just personal preference really because there was another childminder local to me who did school runs at the local school with the same first name - and given her rep i didn't want anyone confusing us lol!

That sounds like how i'm doing it. for all intents and purposes i am known by my name but at such and such childminding just so it has something to be known by. A familiar logo that people can see and know who i am.