PDA

View Full Version : Childminders and false Tax creds claims

kay24
28-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Hi there just wondering if there is a number for childcare providers to ring tax credits if anyone has it?
Have heard of a few local cases recently about parents using childminders EY number to claim they are paying for childcare when they are not. One lady said she looked after a child 3 times over the summer hols a few years ago and turns out this lady had been claiming for 3 and half YEARS for all THREE of her children!!! And a couple said that random people had claimed for children they had naver cared for :panic:
So I want to ring and check that no one is claiming in my name who shouldnt be. Terrible that some of us are struggling and theres people out there like this who are getting thousands of pounds per month for doing nothing!!! :angry:

Thanks x

mufftie
28-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Yep I've had it done to me several times , one lady in particular booked them in for the entire summer holiday but didn't bring them once ! I had a call 14 months later off tax credits asking me details as they were investigating , she had claimed £150 pw for the whole time !
As far as I'm aware you can't ring them , unless its changed , you have to wait until tax credits flag up each persons claim , they are doing it as I've had quite a few of my parents asked to produce receipts which is a parents as they don't seem to keep them , then I have to reproduce gggrrr

miffy
28-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Yes you can report them. Have a look here

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/contactus/search.ladv?sr=0&as=1&cs=ISO-8859-1&sc=hmrc&sm=0&nh=50&ha=34&tx0=60&fl0=contactid:&tx1=&raction=view

Miffy xx

boxtree7
28-10-2011, 06:32 AM
At the moment tax credits are not going back enough years ... I have a mum who only uses me term term she claims for everything even her child that left me this went on for 4 years but tax credits didn't go back 4 years so she got away without paying back money.

miffy
28-10-2011, 06:36 AM
At the moment tax credits are not going back enough years ... I have a mum who only uses me term term she claims for everything even her child that left me this went on for 4 years but tax credits didn't go back 4 years so she got away without paying back money.

I'm not sure what the limit is but I don't think they are allowed to go back that far. Don't think it's right though, especially when they can trace back 6 years for income tax!

Miffy xx

mufftie
28-10-2011, 08:13 AM
thats interesting miffy , ill bear that in mind next time i suspect anyone

Erika
28-10-2011, 06:55 PM
They won't be able to tell you if anyone is claiming under your number, as claims go under the claimant's national insurance number. They'd have to check every claim they hold (millions) to tell you is anyone is claiming using your details.

However, there is a dedicated telephone number for childcare providers: 0845 300 3941

I put this in bold as I often see people say that tax credit won't deal with childminders on the normal helpline.

HMRC encourage childminders to contact them to report potential fraud. However phoning on the normal helpline won't get you anywhere, phone the childcare provider's line.

Please phone our Childcare Provider's Helpline if you think a parent:
• has not reported a change in their childcare costs to us when they should have
• has not told us that they stopped using you for their childcare.
However, we cannot discuss any other details of a parent's claim with you.
We will get in touch with the parent, to check the details of their tax credits award.
We may give them details of the information that you gave to us.

bec123
28-10-2011, 07:14 PM
oh now I'm worried - i had a lady come to see me a while ago about looking after her little boy term time - it was sort of going ahead so she asked for my EY number so she could let Tax Credits know - I gave her my number but she never came back (I've still got his previous learning journey!) - I now wonder if she's using my number to claim money for this little boy???

mammumof4
29-10-2011, 09:08 AM
:angry: ive had a parent come back to me after a year and ask for recipts for childcare costs. i was a little suspitious but if they are cheacking then i quess its ok, ive got to go up into my attic to get my old accounts books down!!

mammumof4
29-10-2011, 09:09 AM
oh and i did have a call form tax credits once asking me to confirm hours

PixiePetal
29-10-2011, 09:22 AM
I have had a current mindees parents ask me for confirmation of payments recently - all above board I am glad to say and they rang another time about a recent past mindee - also should be fine, unless they said it was more, but knowing the family I guess they were honest :thumbsup:

will keep the phone number in my work file though :)