PDA

View Full Version : Getting myself confused

xgemx
27-10-2011, 07:54 PM
I have just started childminding and im getting myself all in a tangle before i get any mindees lol I have a couple of questions if anyone could answer would be grateful
I have a certificate for 2 children under 8 not more than one in the early years group and not more than one under one (im fine with this as my house isnt the biggest)
I also have my own 18 month old and 3 year old when he starts reception school next year does this affect the ages or numbers of who i can mind will he free up so that i have another early years space
We are thinking of having another child so at the minute im more looking at doing holiday cover short term contracts, one offs etc will Ofsted be ok with that then if all goes to plan will look for a long term contract in about 18 months

Thank you ive asked so many question lately dont know what id do without this site

rosebud
27-10-2011, 08:36 PM
How you run your business and what work you want to do is up to you, Ofsted won't be concerned with this as long as you stay within your registered numbers.

When your 3 year old starts full time school this would free up another early years space, however if you have another child of your own you will lose another place so will only be able to have one under 8 (who could also be in the early years group).

xgemx
27-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Ok thanks so will i not have any spaces available, if he goes up to my over 5 group does he fill that 1 over 5 place and i cant have an over 5 which in turn leaves me one under 5 space even if i have had a baby by september
Wow its all so confusing lol

Sorry i know its probably really simple and im over thinking things

Tatjana
27-10-2011, 09:56 PM
May I ask why they've only said you can have 1 child in each age group? You mention your house isn't big, it can't be that small, doesn't seem fair.

xgemx
28-10-2011, 06:04 AM
May I ask why they've only said you can have 1 child in each age group? You mention your house isn't big, it can't be that small, doesn't seem fair.

I have 2 little ones under 5 myself and one over thats why i am only allowed 2 more as the space you need per child

miffy
28-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Ok thanks so will i not have any spaces available, if he goes up to my over 5 group does he fill that 1 over 5 place and i cant have an over 5 which in turn leaves me one under 5 space even if i have had a baby by september
Wow its all so confusing lol

Sorry i know its probably really simple and im over thinking things

When your 3 yo starts full time school (must be full time) he can count in your 5 to 8 yo spaces - you need a special clause adding to your certificate when this happens.

If you have another baby then the baby will take up an under 5 space. Assuming that your 3 yo will be in school before you have the baby then, from what you said you will have one space available for an under 5.

What is confusing me is that you say you are only registered for 2 children under 8 but atm you only have 2 children under 8 yourself. The normal ratio is 6 children under 8, of which no more than 3 can be under 5 and of those, no more than 1 can be under 1yo - your own children are included in these ratios. I don't understand why you are not registered for more children.

Miffy xx

xgemx
29-10-2011, 02:23 PM
When your 3 yo starts full time school (must be full time) he can count in your 5 to 8 yo spaces - you need a special clause adding to your certificate when this happens.

If you have another baby then the baby will take up an under 5 space. Assuming that your 3 yo will be in school before you have the baby then, from what you said you will have one space available for an under 5.

What is confusing me is that you say you are only registered for 2 children under 8 but atm you only have 2 children under 8 yourself. The normal ratio is 6 children under 8, of which no more than 3 can be under 5 and of those, no more than 1 can be under 1yo - your own children are included in these ratios. I don't understand why you are not registered for more children.

Miffy xx
The inspector said it goes on how much clear floor space measurement for each child or something i dont know but tbh i dont want to mind more than 2 lol

Mouse
29-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Miffy xx

That's not quite right. When your own child is in full time school, you need to get the numbers on your certificate changed to reflect it. At the moment your certificate says "2 under 8s, not more than one in the EY age range". When your child is at full time school you would need your certificate ammended to say "2 under 8s, not more than 2 in the EY age group". You cannot just assume you can increase your numbers, even if you have the rising 5 clause on your certificate.
Of course, if you then had another child, it would reduce the numbers accordingly.