PDA

View Full Version : Are all your things out all the time??

Newbie1!
27-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I just wondered how you all arrange your toys, craft things etc? I use my lounge and dont have any proper trofast stylee storage so I literally have all my things piled up in storage boxes- some of it they dont touch for months - sonw they play with constantly - anyway - I was thinking of moving everything into the garage and bringing out a couple of boxes a day so that I haven't literally got things there all the time.

This will make the room look a bit bear but its driving me nuts - I wondered if you think this is acceptable to do or will the parents think im not letting the little ones play with anything??!!:panic: :laughing:

LChurch
27-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I am a bit like you too, I have 2 small toy boxes then get stuff out such as arts and craft when it is appropriate, we do that in the dining room and can't have it out in living room, was asked how I make sure there is enough at my inspection. I said I rotate other toys etc, as it is my home not a nursery I am running!

watgem
27-10-2011, 03:48 PM
most of my toys are out all of in the time and my living room looks like toyrs r us lol! I would love a conservatoey or spare room to put it in

Carol M
27-10-2011, 05:54 PM
I have continious provision stuff out all the time, standard things such as kitchen, construction, dressing up, cars/garage,music things, soft toys, books etc. Then each day I put out stuff for current interests and things that are suitable for ages of children attending on that day eg treasure baskets/ heuristic play. I alter layout of toys and change boxes/baskets/storage to create interest in toys that perhaps haven't been accessed recently. I have a conservatory off my lounge and altho I use for sleeping I also ring the changes in there like creating an "office" or messy area
or put the dark den up.
I have a huge lockable craft cupboard and paper trolley in my dining area of lounge and my garage is full of resources which I rotate.
A parent recently commented how I have a great variety of things out but it never looks cluttered so I hope I am providing the children with enough resources without overwhelming them.
I am working out how I can better utalise my outdoor space and storage now!!
We will all do things differently so try a few options and see what you like.
Carol xx

sarah707
27-10-2011, 06:17 PM
I have most of my resources in small boxes on open shelves in my conservatory - plus a table and chairs and mark making / craft area.

Children learn to put things away when they are ready to move on.

I then have a shed with outside toys, outside mark making etc.

I am so lucky to have the dedicated space I saved up for it for years and it makes such a difference to my quality of life to close the door on it.

Rotating toys is a good idea - you could make a choice booklet with the children's input so they are involved in the process.

Hth :D

Nature'sKids!
27-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Sometimes having all toys out at once can be counterproductive as it overwhelmes children. I rotate toys regularly, following interests, seasons, activities etc. Some are on display all the time, like building blocks, noahs ark, trucks, crane, other large vehicles ... Mainly because they're too big to put away lol