PDA

View Full Version : Laptop advice please!

jadavi
27-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi gorgeous girls and guys can I pick your brains
for the best value for money laptop out there?
My daughter needs one she can- all at the same time - watch a film on, be on face book and do her homework - ie quick and maybe with eyehole camera too
also not a netbook.
One that will not overheat after just a year. .

I told her i knew just the people to ask!

Thanks in advance!

Ja

Chatterbox Childcare
27-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Have a look instore at Comet and Currys as they have great bargains that are not online.

I went to Currys last year and got a Toshiba, 640gb, 4mb for £359.00 but it was red (oh dear me!!)

Good luck with your search and look at the sales

jadavi
27-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks Debbie,

We're miles from the shops and thought we'd get something on line.
Any other recommendations?

Cheers
jac

Demonjill
27-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Asda, Tesco or Argos can have some fabby deals.:thumbsup:

caz3007
27-10-2011, 10:12 AM
We recently bought one and at the time, Sainsburys had the best deal for a fast and decent memory one.

Think they delivered next day too

kindredspirits
27-10-2011, 10:19 AM
I can highly recommend my laptop - its an EMachines G640 - I got it from Argos for about £330 but it is really really solid, the case feels more like metal than plastic so you know that the motherboard is nicely protected. Its got a 17.3" screen which is pretty big these days. Graphics card is very high spec for the money (obviously the more you spend the better you get - but this is good enough to do the Sims etc on).
I had an Advent which is PC Worlds own brand 2 years ago and it died after about 18 months, totally rubbish quality which is why I was careful this time round in buying something that was nice and solid and will hopefully last some time! :thumbsup:

jadavi
28-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Chatterbox Childcare
28-10-2011, 05:55 PM
This is the one we brought and it wasn't available online but is now and reduced again. I think it is an absolute bargain at £270.00. Loads of memory and loads of ram so it will open a lot and work fast

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-l755d-10u-15-6-laptop-red-09797910-pdt.html

desiderata
28-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Ive not long bought a Dell inspiron since my other computer blew, its fantastic I do just what your daughter wants to, I do work, go on fb come on here and while im writing this im burning a dvd of holiday videos at the same time xx I cant fault itx Check around for prices tho cos they do vary. 3 days after I bought mine ( i needed to get it then) mine went down £150 in tesco x

Mamma4Ya
30-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I used to work for an IT company who always promoted the acer laptops so when I got one I purchased the acer I have never had a days worry about it and it comes with built in camera.

Donkey
30-10-2011, 04:26 PM
I used to work for an IT company who always promoted the acer laptops so when I got one I purchased the acer I have never had a days worry about it and it comes with built in camera.

I would not touch acer if they were paying me to take it!!

my acer netbook has had 'issues' but there customer support is dismal, really really dismal.

Mamma4Ya
31-10-2011, 11:15 PM
I would not touch acer if they were paying me to take it!!

my acer netbook has had 'issues' but there customer support is dismal, really really dismal.

Never tried the netbook as adviced to stay well away from them.

mrs c
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
My last one was a Dell. It lasted 13 months then died. I had not taken out the extended warranty as I really never expected it to go so quickly. I did write to Dell but they never replied. My daughters boyfriend works with computers and has since heard of probs with Dell. He likes Hewlett Packard or Compaq.

VeggieSausage
01-11-2011, 09:23 PM
i like my Lenovo - bought my daughter one too, she is very happy with it, good value for money too x

PixiePetal
01-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I can highly recommend my laptop - its an EMachines G640 - I got it from Argos for about £330 but it is really really solid, the case feels more like metal than plastic so you know that the motherboard is nicely protected. Its got a 17.3" screen which is pretty big these days. Graphics card is very high spec for the money (obviously the more you spend the better you get - but this is good enough to do the Sims etc on).
I had an Advent which is PC Worlds own brand 2 years ago and it died after about 18 months, totally rubbish quality which is why I was careful this time round in buying something that was nice and solid and will hopefully last some time! :thumbsup:

DD has an Advent - it has more or less been replaced bit by bit on the insurance we are covered by from PC world :angry: never again. She now wants a MAC :rolleyes:

DS had a Packard Bell (it's mine now :) )- no problems for 2 or 3 years but it broke at the hinge in Sept and we are now waiting for a replacement as they were meant to fix it but it got forgoten and as it has gone over the 42 days as per policy we get brand new one. Should get old hard drive back to put info onto new one but no idea how!? :o Other than this it has been good

mandy moo
02-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I have an Acer Netbook :blush:
had it about 20 mnths.
Touching wood, lol.. I not had a problem with it :D

Greengrass74
02-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Have you thought about an I-Pad, we have just brought one and it a fantastic bit of kit, I love it. Prices start from £399