PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas... (a bit long)

mum2two
14-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I have a mindee, who's mum is a friend so H knows me. She's 3 in Sept & I've had her since she was about 13 months old.

Sometimes she can be quite clingy to mum, (her eldest was the same), and will grizzle when mum leaves, but about 1 minute later she's fine with distraction. Tickle, juice, tv, toy (work my way through them all)

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago they moved. I think H was quite confused by it all, and was a nightmare coming to mine. Screaming, throwing her head back, kicking & hitting out etc. I realised it must have been to do with impending house move, and talked to H about her her house, & mummy & daddy & sibling going with her, and she got better. Settled, and stopped the fussing.

Well, they've finally moved, but as previous house was rented, when they'd moved into new house, they still were in & out of the old house. And I think this has really confused H. She'd regressed, and started screaming when mum leaves!

Mum has said she's not sleeping too well, asking to 'go home'. I really feel for her. I've tried distracting her, leaving her to cry, (but then she just hits & kicks everyone), and don't know what I can do to help.

Mum says 'mummy's going to work - go to Kelly', and she just clings to mum saying 'NOOO - not like Kelly.' 'I want mummy'. etc...

I think this whole house move has made her really insecure. Once she's calmed down, she's fine. Doesn't ask for mum at all!!!

Any ideas how we can help calm the morning situation, as I'm sure mum doesn't like it any more than I do...

Sorry for the long ramble, but I so want to sort this out and help H settle again...

Thanks

Kelly

avril
14-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Maybe once at your house keep her in a routine so there isn't any change for her to worry about for the time being. Role play moving house, stories about moving house, just give security some children just don't like change.

Hope things settle down soon :D

sarah707
14-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Do you go straight out for a walk or school run in the morning? In the past I've found it helpful if parents pop the child into the buggy, kiss and go... it can change the routine and might just help her.

Plus, I'd say mum needs to leave child with something that smells of her - a tshirt or scarf... go back to settling in basics...

The poor little girl is showing her emotional age right now and that's small and confused. Poor little one :(

Pipsqueak
14-05-2008, 09:06 PM
How about getting her to do pictures for her new room?

miffy
14-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Some great advice already given

Just wanted to wish you good luck and hopes H settles soon

miffy xx

littlewonders
15-05-2008, 06:15 AM
My son did this when we moved a year ago...He wouldn't go to nursery or settle but a couple of days after the move I had 2 weeks leave booked to sort out the house and he was with me for most of that time he then settled in, especially once we had decorated his room.

Not sure if it will help but there is a book from the 'biff, chip and kipper' range that is a story about when they move house, can't remember the title but if I do I'll post it!

Good Luck :thumbsup: xx

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Good advice from everyone

Hope it sorts it self out soon

Good luck

Angel xx

mum22
15-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Can't really add any more as great advice already - i think doing some art work for her new room is a really good idea, maybe can get mum to take some pictures so she can plan where to put them - ask mum if maybe you can go through a catalogue and pick out some new curtains or duvets and cut out the pictures and mum and dad could take her shopping for them ?

BIg hugs to you and her.

x helen