PDA

View Full Version : The Mosaic Approach

sdean
26-10-2011, 09:01 PM
I am currently studying the use of this as part of my foundation degree. Has anyone used or is using this effectively within a childminding setting.

How did you find it?
Did you have to adapt it to make it work?

sarah707
27-10-2011, 06:11 PM
I involve older children in planning their own activities - we made a spider chart of what they know already and what they'd like to find out more about and then go off and do some related activities.

They are also involved in planning displays and finding things for the little ones that link into our themes.

However I know that's not a true mosaic approach - I'm not sure I have time for more :laughing: :D

sdean
27-10-2011, 06:16 PM
thank you Sarah for your reply.

I am sooooo glad you have said what you have as that is how I am already working consulting the children and following their interests and fascinations but the more I am studying and doing the preparation for the next TMA the more I think it would be impossible as a childminder working alone (or even with an assistant) to be able to follow the true Mosaic Approach.

I was worried that I was being too negative and missing something that would help me see how I could introduce it.

thanks x
:)

jadavi
27-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Could you tell us what the trie mosaic approach is?

jadavi
27-10-2011, 06:31 PM
sorry -the 'true mosaic approach?'

sarah707
27-10-2011, 07:00 PM
The mosaic approach will usually lead to a complete re-think of the way things are done as it suggests that the children are put firmly in the middle of everything that happens around them.

Their views are consulted at each step of the day-to-day routine and lots of different methods are used to consult them.

They might, for example, take photos of favourite and least favourite toys or areas of the provision which would then be augmented or changed or even removed if that was their wish.

They also contribute to maps, tours of the provision, regular consultations and conversations... etc

As children are at the centre of everything and consulted on all aspects of what they do they grow in confidence and ability to make decisions and the relationship with practitioners is truly equal.

SDean - I think that can be part of the problem with OU courses. You have to take the best and the choice picks of the new knowledge you gain and use it to your advantage without feeling that you could always do more given an extra set of hands and 5 more hours in every day! :laughing:

:D

rosebud
27-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I learnt about The Mosaic Approach on my FD and use it within my setting. Initially I used the methods as part of my coursework; 2-3 year olds took photos and made a book (rather than a map) about the setting, I did tours, child conferencing (using LJ's as basis for discussion) and interviews and found it very useful and made changes as a result of what I learnt. One of the main changes was to use LJ's as a tool to enable children to reflect on their own learning and to instigate discussions about what they want in the future, children now choose their own photos & pieces of work for their LJ's from about the age of 2.5. I listen to children daily about what they want but will only use the more formal methods annually as part of an overall evaluation. I think it is probably more useful in a group setting because sensitive childminders tend to already know their childrens wants and needs because we spend so much time with them, in a group setting children often don't get a say in what happens around them.