PDA

View Full Version : After school advice requested

jadavi
26-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Can you advise me here? I have a request from Jan to do a school pick up 10 mins drive from me and keep him till 6 and drop off at his home. It'll be maximum inconvenience as it's a country road and people park far from the school to walk in and do the pick up. At today's reckoning I'll have a baby and a 3 year old to take along . I'll then have to keep him and return him 10 mins away at 6. What would you charge ? My rates are 3.50 hour and £5 out of hours but going up in Jan to £4 and £6 . I make that £25 a day to include 40 mins of driving. That sounds such a lot . What do you think? It also means I can't do any schoolies from my local schools as this is a village school that ends at the same time. However I haven't had any luck at the local school as they have a good after school club. . Need the work too. . Advice as always v much appreciated x

Goatgirl
26-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi :),
As you're not currently getting the interest you would like from your local school I would say take a deposit for the first month and explain it is only refundable if you can't proceed for any reason. If they don't go ahead for any reason then it is non refundable.

That way you are not turning the work away, but if something more convenient comes along before the start date, you can just refund the deposit.

Also charge for all the time; if its £25 a day, then so be it. Otherwise you will end up resenting it :thumbsup: .

Best wishes,
Wendy :)

flutterbies
26-10-2011, 06:53 PM
If you do take this work on, you also have your settling in period and notice period if you need to end the contract.

Not that I like messing people about!

We have a remote school near here, which is located in a country lane up a hill. WHen it is icy or snowy it is a treacherous road, I bet the school has to be closed as no one can get there. My friend used to pick up there, but when she got work for a nearby school she gave up the remote pick up.

I found work in a school like buses, once you got one enquiry, the others followed and once people got to know me, I got recommendations too. Some children are just not suited to before and after school clubs!

miffy
26-10-2011, 07:43 PM
I make that £25 a day to include 40 mins of driving. That sounds such a lot .

It does but then a taxi would probably cost as much and you are also providing 3 hours care.

Good advice from Wendy about taking a deposit.

Good luck

Miffy xx

jadavi
26-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks - good advice..