PDA

View Full Version : Advice about 8 yr old please

fionamadcat
26-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I have an 8 yr old mindee who I am finding quite challenging to find activities for. He would happily either play on his ds or other games console for hours but does not seem to want to do anything that I have tried doing with him. I have tried baking, arts and crafts, lego, soldiers but all he does is turn his nose up at them. I asked him what he would like me to go and buy so that he had toys to play with and he asked for a cuddly talking moshi monster toy that my daughter has or another cuddly toy that she has (she is the same age and in same class at school as him). I bought a build a skeleton thing I saw the other day and again not interested, my son sat and did it without him yesterday after school. My kids are getting a bit bored with it too. He's not badly behaved really I just don't really know what else I can try, I also have little ones here when he's here so can't give him undivided attention. Games console's are limited to friday only so he doesn't get to do this all the time and I also limit tv time as well.

sarah707
26-10-2011, 05:04 PM
One school of thought is that it is important that you meet the child's needs... and if the child only plays consoles or watches TV at home then you have to ask yourself whether you are meeting his needs by limiting his time on them.

Another viewpoint is that you have your rules and they are that time on consoles etc is limited and he needs to find other things to do in which case you offer the resources relevant to his age - Lego, magnetix, building things, puzzles, books and comics to read, dens to build etc.

However if your rules and the resources you offer are not meeting his needs you need to have a chat with his parents. Maybe a group provision with older children would suit him better.

hth :D

nessynoodle
26-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Your setting isn't always perfect for every child and sometimes it just doesnt work.

I would first of all though suggest talking to his parents and trying to find out more about his interests. If he likes playing video games - is there a specific game he likes, any characters he likes from tv? You could print out clouring pages of those characters. Make your own comic strip of his fave tv show. Suggest making a play based on a game or programme.

Perhaps use the computer for educational gaes/quizes/projects.

Does he like being outside?

I agree that tv and games should be limited even if thats what he does at home. Children need attention and play and if he is missing out on that at home all the more reason for you to do your best to provide that. It might just take a bit more time and effort to find out what makes him thrive and chanel that.

Good luck

Maza
26-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Could you ask his teacher for suggestions? Defo ask his parents and get him to make more of an effort to think of things you could plan for him.

fionamadcat
26-10-2011, 08:55 PM
His mum doesn't want him to be on the ds all the time which is fine and tv has never been an issue. He loves pokemon I just can't really see any educational value in it! Books etc we have loads of I've suggested reading to him but again he doesn't want to. I think he would be happy just to play with my kids but they want their own space which I'm finding hard to cope with too! He does enjoy being outside but at the moment we don't have any outside space as the garden hasn't been ok'd by scswis yet as there is still work going on out there. I do try and take them to the park but that isn't always possible with weather and the park isn't very good for the little ones as there isn't any play equipment geared for them.
Thanks for all help, I'm going to speak with mum to see what she says.

JCrakers
26-10-2011, 09:01 PM
I find older children harder to amuse. These days all they do want to do is play on the wii or watch tv. All the older children I have don't play with toys anymore, they get bored with them.

I make a rule of not taking older children on because of this. All the 7-8 yr olds I have, have been here for about 3-4 yrs so I know them all very well. If I was to take on a new 8 yr old I would find it hard work.

I am also quite lucky to have a lot of children usually in the school hols meaning they all play together so less input from me is needed, meaning I can give the majority of my time to the littler ones.

If he likes moshi monsters you can get a top trumps game which might keep him happy for a short while. Other than that Lego has always been a hit for my son.its expensive so maybe look at car boots for it

Ali56
26-10-2011, 10:28 PM
No games consoles here! All mindees have access to lots of toys and games but I don't let them play wii or ds. I'm quite mean like that! I just find there is to much arguing. I think I'm quite lucky though because all my older mindees love to play board games more than anything else, or go outside. They don't even ask. I think they probably play on them enough at home so they don't need them here!! :D

Narnia34
27-10-2011, 05:45 AM
If he likes Pokemon, maybe have a look in the library for Pokemon themed books? You could also see if he wants to draw a pokemon comic strip. Other than that I don't know what to suggest.

Nature'sKids!
27-10-2011, 07:32 AM
I would try boardgames too, they can be really engaging! But you do need either two kids the same age or yourself to play with him.
I was thinking top trumps too

Jiorjiina
27-10-2011, 10:56 AM
How about getting him to make his own pokemon?

He could draw it (and any stages it evolves to (Pokemon still evolve into different levels, right?)), come up with it's powers, how it rates against other pokemon, what you have to do to catch it, etc.

Pokemon is good for teaching statistics and maths (weighing up combat odds etc).

Perhaps you could make him responsible for something, like making sure there is always water available, so he feels a bit more grown up.

little chickee
27-10-2011, 11:25 AM
He loves pokemon I just can't really see any educational value in it!

Why does it need to be educational? Why can't it just be fun?