PDA

View Full Version : q for those of you with assistants

ChocolateChip
26-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Hypothetical question-

Having read the Ofsted fact sheet (although not sure I understood it all, lol), am I right in thinking that if a cm who uses assistants, but also works a night shift should not be leaving the assistants to care for children while she is asleep the next morning?
Or is this something that Ofsted would allow if it was for a short time?

Penny1959
26-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Good question

My understanding is that provided assistant is over 18 and has first aid certificate and is within ratio's when own own with children - that the assistant can be left for short periods if you are on or off the premises.

So hypothetically - the answer would be yes - the assistant could care for 3 children while childminder was a sleep for a short time.

However - personally I would not consider this good practice as it is supposed to be for the benefit of the children not the childminder - and while on a rere occassion you could say you needed sleep to be able to care for the children - I don't think personally it would be acceptable on a regular or ongoing basis.

I do sometimes do an over night for one mindee at her own home and do not go to bed - just doze for 30 mins here and there in the armchair - which means I have little or no sleep for 36 + hours at a time.

Penny :)

boxtree7
26-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I don't see why you can't do this with permission from parents.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-10-2011, 01:22 PM
I think this is an question for the authorities who know nothing (Ofsted) as we may consider it okay but they may not

Excellent question though, please let us know how you get on

ChocolateChip
28-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Sorry, been busy!
Thanks for the replies, actually I was fishing :blush: as there is a local cm who appears to be doing this and wasn't sure it was ok or not.
None of my business I know, but I don't really see how someone can effectively care for children from 6.30am until 7.30pm, mon- fri and then do night shifts on fri, sat and sun nights, unless she is leaving them with her assistants while she sleeps, especially on the monday.
But perhaps I am wrong :D