PDA

View Full Version : Follow on from clothing policy thread

Nature'sKids!
25-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Do any of your mindees have to watch their clothes? I know a child who said she wasn't allowed to paint / play in the sand / etc because her mum would tell her off for getting her clothes dirty. I find this a little :censored: ridiculous. It's what kids clothes are for isn't it?

rickysmiths
25-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I explain in my parents folder that I expect to be provided with a spare set of clothes for any accidents be it of the toilet kind or falling over in the mud. I tell them that I provde aprons and overall covers for painting cooking etc and that I use 'washable' paints, but that this does not mean that I can be sure to send their child home immaculately clean everyday, and nor can I always be sure that everything will wash out!!! If they then choose to send their darlings in Designer clobber that is up to them!!!

caz3007
25-10-2011, 05:52 PM
I had a mum tell a 2 year old that he had to look after his clothes and he had got his trainers dirty. She was very young and is rather hung up on appearances. This particular mum was looking at getting him Raybans, I told her not to send them here, as could say I could look after her child and keep him safe, but couldnt the Raybans

We went to the farm today with a different mindie and her coat was filthy when I handed it back, I apologised and mum said, 'oh well, it will come out in the wash'.

What a difference

rosebud
25-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I tell parents from day one that their child's clothes will get messy with paint / sand / mud / glue / water / gloop, etc and that whilst children wear aprons and I make every effort to keep them clean they should not send them in their best clothes. I will not prevent a child from participating in any activity just to keep their clothes clean. If this is the parents priority over their child having fun then I am not the right childminder for them.

FussyElmo
25-10-2011, 06:08 PM
My term time mindee had at the start of the year 2 inset days on the second day she was in normal clothes (no pretty dress)- her mum said to me I had forgotten the stuff you do :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Blackberry picking - wonder if mum did get the stains out :rolleyes:

uf353432
25-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I make it very clear verbally and in writing that children must be dressed for mess. All children have spare clothes here in case they need change. I have been known to wash kids clothes before now - not becaue I was worried about the parent getting upset - but because I was putting a wash on anyway and the clothes really needed a good soak becase they got really messy. I've never made a promise that i'll be able to keep them clean - because I love messy play as much as the kids do - so we do it frequently.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-10-2011, 07:45 PM
I have overalls for food and craft but children get dirty, end of

Speak to your parent and explain that whilst you do have days out clean and tidy there will always be days when they will get messy

Nature'sKids!
25-10-2011, 07:50 PM
I have overalls for food and craft but children get dirty, end of

Speak to your parent and explain that whilst you do have days out clean and tidy there will always be days when they will get messy

Oh I wil have a mudpie / sticky finger / grubby knees / gloopy sleeves policy I think
Ie: children WILL get dirty, because I will drag them out to make mud pies if need be. Mudpie making is dramatically lacking in today's society lol

*daisychain*
25-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I have a mum who always changes her little one into clean clothes before she takes her home! She does however have the same view as myself that the more messy the better the day has been ! :)

Tealady
25-10-2011, 08:47 PM
If my son comes home from Pre-school clean I want to know why.

My mindees used to go home clean but only because I changed them. But I used to worry that If I didn't change them their parents would think they weren't being cared for properly. Not anymore though, unless they are wet or going to make everything else mucky

I find you can use pinnies / tabards / overalls but the wet, gloop or muck seem to creep in somehow.

tulip0803
25-10-2011, 08:56 PM
I tell parents when they start not to send them in good clothes - I even suggest going to the charity shop to buy some outfits that they will not mind getting mucky. DD2 went to a childminder while I re-register and I had a childminder drawer of clothes - she used to say that it made people think that she was dirty - so it did not matter if they got messy.

One parent I have is never worried about the state her child returns in as long as she has had fun. The others are ok but sometimes feel that they are rolling their eyes! I have never had a problem with children being too fancily dressed but one child went to the farm with the pre-school in sparkly red sequin shoes:rolleyes: . And my cm friend had one that would regularly turn up in D&G jeans!

Maza
26-10-2011, 10:17 PM
I say to parents that they can send in an outfit just for messy activities and I will keep it at my house and wash it etc.

mushpea
27-10-2011, 05:58 AM
from the first meeting they are told about our activities and told never to send them in good cloths and to always send a spair set
I once had a 4yrold who did messy activities and got filthy in the morning so she changed at lunch time then we went out in the woods and got a bit more dirty and when mum came she looked at her daughter and said 'im glad you changed in to your old cloths for messy play', when i told her that her other cloths were messy too her face was a picture,,she had sent her in good cloths expecting me to know she was to change out of them before messy play,, I had to explain that ALL clothes need to be ones they dont mind getting messy:rolleyes:

Roseolivia
27-10-2011, 07:13 AM
I always ask for a spare set of clothes and tell them about the messsy activities we do. All my parents have always been good about mess which makes this job easier. I'll sometimes wash the clothes if they have an accident or get really messy just so they don't stain.