PDA

View Full Version : Hand foot and mouth disease

weetots
24-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi I'm looking for some advise please. One of the kids I mind has hand foot and mouth disese and another is showing symptoms of this. What should I do? Should I still take the kids or should I ask their patrents to keep them away for a few days? I've found conflicting information online from various websites so would appreciate andother childminders advise, many thanks, kirsten

macjade01
24-10-2011, 07:29 PM
hiya im not sure as a childminder what the rules are for this virus but my daughter had it when she was little and the nursery said that they could still take her aswell as the doctor. i kept her off as i didnt want anybody elses child getting it but as i say they did say they would of had her xx

greanan
24-10-2011, 07:33 PM
i had a wee one a couple of weeks ago with it. I was happy to take him but he ended up waiting with mum as he wasnt himself and quite girny. think it depends on the child x

funemnx
24-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Sometimes children can feel a bit off colour and others are fine. I've had a couple of my lo's with it but I didn't exclude. I does seem to be doing the rounds at the moment - 20 children from our local nursery have it!

nikki thomson
24-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Hi, I don't take children with hand foot and mouth as it is highly contagious, some children can be really Ill, my dd's pre-school had an outbreak recently and 37 of the 45 children had it despite excluding and sending children home who had it, they had to close and disinfect the whole place, I don't look after poorly children. X

Tealady
24-10-2011, 09:22 PM
It's up to you. It is highly contagious and can be horrible but some people it hardly bothers.

I had it last year. Think I got it at a wedding, It wasn't going around here but there were alot of children from 100 miles away. I think they may have been carrying it. Was rather poorly but nobody else seemed to catch it off me.

As I said, I think it's down to you to call.

Boris
25-10-2011, 06:55 AM
My DD has it! I rang parents this morning and they are all still sending their children! I have said that if their children get it I will still have them unless they are really poorly with it. HPA say no exclusion but I guess its just up to you. xxx

mama2three
25-10-2011, 07:40 AM
The thing is with HFM excluding is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. they are only infectious before the spots appear and so the 'damage' is already done. Thats why hpa say no exclusion period as its too late by then!

shelmids
25-10-2011, 07:54 AM
when my little one had it, his nursery still took him, there was a big break out within a couple of days and nearly all ended up with it. The nursery just made sure they sterilised EVERYTHING once the children left home.