PDA

View Full Version : Visual timetables?

NicoleW
24-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Who uses one? It's half term and my 5 year old daughter is driving me a bit bonkers "when are we doing xxx, is it xxxx time yet?"

So I thought, why not a visual timetable so she (and future children) can see what is going to happen and when.

Does anyone use one and are the effective?

Nature'sKids!
24-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Kind of, I made one myself and it dies work to some extent with my 4 1/2 yr old :)

Penny1959
24-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Tes I have one - I started using it for my grandson who has complex additional needs. But was very usual with a 4 year old mindee who needed to know 'what next'

I downloaded mine - there are some on places like sparlebox and ******.

Penny :)

breezy
24-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I use one my dd likes to help the mindees read it!!!!!
It's good when we stick to it, but plans tend to alter in holidays and it's not stuck to!

les1
24-10-2011, 08:18 PM
We have used picture schedules for our daughter. She liked them so much that she used to make her own when we didn't.
They are very good for providing a structure and routine to the day which many children like.
It is more difficult if the children become very rigid with it.
You can print off pictures from the internet then laminate.
If you don't want to put in every activity then try putting in main activities such as snack and lunch and perhaps pick up times, This at least gives young chilren a sense of time and perhaps when mum/dad will come for them

You could also find a picture of a clock and perhaps print off pictures laminate them and attach them to various times on the clock as appropriate with velcro.
Pictures can then be moved whilst giving warning that something is going to change.
Hope this is helpful.

NicoleW
25-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Brilliant thank you. Think I'll do some over the week, ran out of ink though and it's £35 for the cartridges and that's without the black!

Maza
25-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Yes, they are great. Sometimes you have to be quite general or it would be difficult to stick to and it takes a while to build up your pictures, but there are soooo many benefits!

NicoleW
27-10-2011, 06:49 AM
General as in for example

7:00 breakfast
7:30 get dressed and brush teeth/hair
8:30 Dog walking
10:00 water and fruit time
11:00 planned activity
12:30 lunch
1:00 quiet time (Nap time for little ones and DVD time for older ones)
2:00 planned activity
3:00 snack time
4:00 story time
5:30 dinner time
6:00 walk dogs
7:00 bath
7:30 story and bed

I was planning on doing the timetable up until lunch and while they are eating I'd change the 'tickets' to from lunch to dinner time, then whilst eating dinner change the tickets to from dinner to bed time.

I think I'll get my 5 year old to draw pictures and colour in tickets to use them instead of printing them off :)