PDA

View Full Version : permission for halloween activities

Libby08
24-10-2011, 08:31 AM
I know there is already a thread about doing halloween activities but would ofsted say we should get permission. I don't get permission for other celebrations as i think parents should let me know if they don't want their child taking part rather than me asking every time but from the other thread I think as halloween seems to be a bit different, (maybe as it can be scary to los!?)
Have you asked permission? (In writing?)

Thanks

Just to add im not planning anything scary, just some crafts, pumpkin messy play, drawing on them too (non scary pics), dress up, some baking spider cakes maybe, pumpkin soup for lunch, that kind of thing really!

tashaleee
24-10-2011, 08:40 AM
I dont see why anyone would need to get permission for this personally. I have seen the other thread and I respect everyones views on it but I dont see anything wrong with Halloween crafts any more than any other 'festival' we cover throughout the year. I actually found the hardest thing having a Muslim child who doesnt celebrate Christmas when my children were very small and the parent obviously didnt want me to do christmas - but I explained it is simply a craft activity for most of the children and they were happy for them to participate. :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
24-10-2011, 09:19 AM
I cover this when parents start with me - I explain to them that we explore and celebrate things like Halloween, Divali Chinese new year etc - so this gives them opportunity to raise any objections then.

I also put it in newsletters and daily diaries .. next week/month we will be doing xyz again ample opportunity for objections.

chez
24-10-2011, 10:25 AM
personally id be more concerned about people getting permission then not doing so.

Halloween is only as scary as you make it just like fireworks I mean for that we could tell them about the plans to blow up people and then how that relates to todays bombs and war. - we just arnt going to are we.

Make it relevent to your young children, we dont ask if we can celebrate any other relgious celebration so why start for 1.

Personally Id rather not celebrate it then do so having had to seek written permission.

singlewiththree
24-10-2011, 01:36 PM
I ask all my parents before we do the activities as I have several families who don't "do" halloween. I do explain its pumpkins, nocturnal animals and non-scarey things. I promise not to do witches as they are christians and it upsets them

chez
24-10-2011, 02:47 PM
I ask all my parents before we do the activities as I have several families who don't "do" halloween. I do explain its pumpkins, nocturnal animals and non-scarey things. I promise not to do witches as they are christians and it upsets them

do you do the same for other festivals that are non christian?

Velleity
24-10-2011, 03:05 PM
One of my parents did not want me to do Halloween with her daughter too, as she is Christian, however I have let her play with the insides of the pumpkin and things like that, as she has enjoyed the sensation and feel it would be ridiculous to altogether ban Halloween because of her!

Chatterbox Childcare
24-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Personally no need so I won't bother

Daftbat
24-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I dont gain formal permission but I do think that I have a good enough relationship with parents to gauge their views on the subject. I dont make anything really scary as I am conscious of younger children and I make a point of making bright colours available for halloween craft. I think the scariest thing I do is get them to go fishing with their hands in jelly for sweets so no real nightmare threat there:laughing: :laughing:

miffy
24-10-2011, 08:32 PM
I don't ask for parents permission - I don't do that for other festivals we celebrate either - although they know from the newsletter that we will be covering it. No-one has ever objected.

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
25-10-2011, 06:10 AM
I don't ask parents permission for any particular festivals but I do let it be known that we cover various festivals throughout the year, including Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Pagan etc, and ask if generally they have any objections.

taiwallis
25-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Funnily enough, i just stumbled across a problem last week for the 1st time in 8 yrs of childminding. I had parents who completely lost it when i sent the little child home with a picture of a pumpkin, which he had stuck orange tissue pieces too. They were absolutely horrified and said in no uncertain terms, that i was ever allowed their child to participate in these things again.
This then presented a problem, that their children were coming here on 31st, and it is a staff training day at the local school, so my older children will be here, and getting ready for a halloween party. I explained this to the family, and they are so adamant that their children have nothing to do with it, that they have withdrawn care for that day. I believe they are deeply religious - the children will see it at school, on the high street etc, and i wasn't going to do anything they would be uncomfortable with, and certainly not 'teach' them anything about it - just have a bit of fun. But no - so we are back to autumn theme....

chez
25-10-2011, 03:55 PM
A pumkin! its a veg get over it, it really had nothing to do with Pagan, haloween or anything else, more then a carrot or sprout does!
Some parents. :panic:

Hugs to you that theyve put you in such a difficult position

FussyElmo
25-10-2011, 04:28 PM
A pumkin! its a veg get over it, it really had nothing to do with Pagan, haloween or anything else, more then a carrot or sprout does!
Some parents. :panic:

But pumpkins are very much a symbol of halloween so if you did firmly believe so strongly against it then you would take offence at it.

I have only just noticed that halloween is on monday and I will have mindees here and yes we will be doing some activites - just found a fabulous eyeball truffle recipe.

I will also be doing bonfire/firework activites (celebrating terrorism at its best :) )

Hard if you do have parents who do oppose it so strongly but we are meant to celebrate all festivals :thumbsup:

mushpea
25-10-2011, 07:51 PM
But pumpkins are very much a symbol of halloween so if you did firmly believe so strongly against it then you would take offence at it.

I have only just noticed that halloween is on monday and I will have mindees here and yes we will be doing some activites - just found a fabulous eyeball truffle recipe.

I will also be doing bonfire/firework activites (celebrating terrorism at its best :) )

Hard if you do have parents who do oppose it so strongly but we are meant to celebrate all festivals :thumbsup:

any chance you could share the truffle mix please,, I will have at least one schoolie that day who likes cooking etc

FussyElmo
25-10-2011, 08:09 PM
any chance you could share the truffle mix please,, I will have at least one schoolie that day who likes cooking etc

I will pm you the link :thumbsup:

The Juggler
25-10-2011, 08:52 PM
i woudl no more seek permission for halloween than I would to celebrate diwali. obviously I make it age appropriate and not too scary :)