PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your resources from?

Nature'sKids!
23-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Mainly brand new or used? Charity shops car boots etc?

mushpea
23-10-2011, 01:54 PM
just bought some lovley thomas puzzles from the charity shop,, I mainly get mine from car boots or they are toys that my children have grown out off and donate for a 'fee' , and also I am a big ebay fan and have bought some lovley stuff off there over the years

nikki thomson
23-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi, I don't buy anything for cm, all my resources are my children's. X

caz3007
23-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Most of mine are second hand, things my son has finished with, things we have been given, ebay, local FB sellers, and anything else that supplys second had resources.

As to craft stuff, I am a paper crafter and they have all the bits I am fed up with, scraps and then I buy bits in our local cheapy shops or poundland.

Rosy Days
23-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Hi, I have two young children, boy and girl, so don't really buy resources specifically for childminding that often. However, there is a Barnardo's charity shop which I pop into now and again and they sometimes have brand new (well seem brand new) Orchard Toys games and toys, last one I bought was a giant farm yard jigsaw for £2.99, bargain. I've also picked up Pop to the Shops and Bus Stop for a couple of £'s. So well worth a look in charity shops, especially if you find one that you know stocks good quality resources. Love a bargain :) x

The Juggler
23-10-2011, 03:10 PM
buy backs from my kids outgrown toys or borrow their current ones. second hand or shares with other minders, children's centre and early years resource centre (toy library).

books from library book sales and school fair book stalls or my kids old ones.

friends giving away their kids old toys. i have a second hand ELC kitchen that I've had for the last 7 years and is still going strong.

my new purchases are mostly replacement crafts but also the sandpit (£30 in 2005), and a waterpark/run which was £30 18 months ago. apart from my buggies they are probably my most expensive items.

:thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
23-10-2011, 03:11 PM
i started cming when my lot were in their late teens and early 20s so we were a child free zone.

Most of my stuff i have bought from new (the charity shops round here are so bad - stuff i would throw out)

also got loads from my sister who does big chuck outs this time of year (and yes she has posted on facebook a picture of this years cull)

other stuff from friends

dont do car boots or ebay

mandy xxx

uf353432
23-10-2011, 04:38 PM
depends what I want to buy - I do buy new but keep an eye out for bargains - like when I did my weekly shop at Tesco I spotted a wormery for £10 instead of £20. I also buy 2nd hand on ebay - but only items that are good quality and resell well. I do toy swaps with other childminders, use the toy library and get given lots of resources by local preschool and parents.

I'm not worried about where the resources come from - but now I cherry pick what I want because i'm only looking for specific things now.

miffy
24-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Some belonged to my own children, some were donated by mindees parents. Then there's stuff from e-bay, charity shops, car boots, picked up at education shows or from courses. Anywhere really, I'm not proud! :laughing:

Miffy xx

jumping j
25-10-2011, 06:26 AM
I've managed to pick up a lot of great stuff from ebay or car boot sales, the things from the car boot sale were a real bargain and in great condition too, if you can find a big one there's always loads of bargains to be had!!!:clapping:

Pipsqueak
25-10-2011, 06:26 AM
own kids toys
hand me overs from neighbours, family, friends, random strangers who know I look after 'the kiddies'

boot sales, charity shops etc
local farmer (tyres)
own hubby - I snaffle wood, blocks, bricks, get him to make stuff, pipe, guttering
local shops - such as the wallpaper shop and materials
local school/playgroup (when they are having a clear out)
Nearly new sales
children centre and early years team

I'm not proud in the slightest I ask away....:D

Bluebell
25-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I usually use charity shops but still seem to be constantly buying things!? I have 2 boys and was encouraged to get more 'girls toys'. Most of these were hijacked by my youngest son so I've bought a few more so the little girl I look after can actually get a look in!
I bought a canopy the other day to make a den and can see I will now spend out more getting a few cushions and blankets to make a cosy area. Is there a time when you actually stop and think - I've got enough now I don't need anymore at all!?
Also where do you get craft resources from?

Maza
26-10-2011, 09:03 PM
All of the above. Collecting resources becomes your life!

tulip0803
26-10-2011, 10:52 PM
I buy things where-ever I see them for a good price. A lot is from my own children and others charity shops and ebay.

I hav also got some lovely dressing-up, puzzles, a puppet show, books and stuff from Freecycle so it only cost the petrol to collect:thumbsup:

Nature'sKids!
27-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Collecting resources is already my life lol!
I have spent the last 48hours weeding out ds Xmas wish list and figuring out what he will get the most from lol