PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone not got a fireguard?

vix84
23-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Hiya, at the moment we have an old style fireplace with a gas fire which doesnt work.
We want to replace this eventually with something less intrusive and more modern - ideally Id love to loose the metal cage of a fire guard!
Am hoping to take up the fire surround flooring bit and have something level or not at all so that avoids sharp corners.
If we were to get something that fits into the wall and somehow turns completely off so children can't turn it on, would we still need a fire guard?
We have never actually used the fire anyway and think only rarely would we use in in the winter of an evening.

Thanks

christine e
23-10-2011, 07:49 AM
I only put the fire guard up during the cooler months when the fire is used during the daytime - if the fire is not being used then you don't need one up - put this in your risk assessment

Cx

JulieA
23-10-2011, 07:50 AM
I have exactly this - a hole in the wall gas fire thingy, no hearth or mantle. There is a little flappy bit at the bottom to reach the controls, but we isolate the gas, turning it off, at the supply pipe. therefore even if the little people still get to the controls nothing will happen. I do put a small side table in front of the flappy bit when the little people are here, and to be honest they don't tend to bother with it. Ofsted didn't even comment on the lack of fire guard when they came. I have it in my risk assessment as well.

vix84
23-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Yeah I was going to risk assess it but wanted to check to see if we could isolate the gas which I think we would. Will make such a difference to not have space wasted by that huge fireguard!
And thats a good idea about maybe a little coffee table in front if they do keep playing with it.

Thanks Ladies :)

miffy
23-10-2011, 08:40 PM
We have a gas fire in the fireplace that doesn't work and have had the gas supply to it capped off.

I don't use a fireguard even though there is a fireplace - it's in my risk assessment now but has never been a problem with any inspector over the years.

Miffy xx

Tink
24-10-2011, 06:05 AM
I haven't got one as I haven't got a fire:laughing:

marian
24-10-2011, 06:41 AM
We have a gas fire in the fireplace that doesn't work and have had the gas supply to it capped off.

I don't use a fireguard even though there is a fireplace - it's in my risk assessment now but has never been a problem with any inspector over the years.

Miffy xx

Im the same as Miffy - our fire is now capped off due to us not having used it for years - I have a risk assesment and Mrs O was fine about it.

Marian x

Dragonfly
24-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Dont use a fireguard as we dont use the fire during minding hours.Ofsted were fine about it.

Carol M
24-10-2011, 07:18 AM
We rarely use the fire but I have a marble hearth and my RA says that lo's could fall over and hit their heads on the hearth and it could cause an injury, so I use a fireguard.
Carol xx

Jiorjiina
24-10-2011, 12:27 PM
We rarely use the fire but I have a marble hearth and my RA says that lo's could fall over and hit their heads on the hearth and it could cause an injury, so I use a fireguard.

Ditto, except that ours is a 1930's tiled monstrosity I'm hoping to replace one day! ;)

gigglinggoblin
24-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Ofsted told me you have to consider that a child might turn on the fire or gas if you were out of the room or if you collapsed or something. We have an electric fire that is never used so isnt plugged in, she said if it was plugged in (so I assume also if it was a gas fire that hadnt been capped off) you need a guard. As it cannot be turned on we dont need one.

vix84
24-10-2011, 01:56 PM
We also have the marble hearth which is why we need to rip it out and will def. replace it with one where we can have it completely turned off ....... just need to save for it :rolleyes:

mandy moo
24-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Dont use a fireguard as we dont use the fire during minding hours.Ofsted were fine about it.

Same as, in fact we've possibly only used our fire a dozen times in the 16 yrs e've been here!!

les1
24-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi
We just had pre reg visit and inspector was fine with no firegaurd as we don't use the fire.
Do have a hearth though but she was happy that we had a very heavy coffee table in front of it that could not be easily moved by little ones.

Hebs
26-10-2011, 06:25 AM
i dont have a fire guard and ofsted (during my inspection) asked why
i explained that i dont use the fire and she asked what if the kids put it on
she had to laugh when i asked her to try and put the fire on and couldnt as its so hard :laughing:

nuff said :thumbsup: