PDA

View Full Version : I am running a business not a charity!!!!!!

Beccles26
22-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I am so so mad, I am a new child minder so haven't got full numbers, in fact only 2 children for 10 hrs a week, I did have a school drop off and pick up but I think mum thinks I am running a charity and not a business with over heads and bills to pay, she hasn't paid me and owes me nearly 4 weeks fees!!!!!! Each time I have asked for payment its a different excuse after excuse!!!! I cancelled her contract and have passed it on to the NCMA legal team!!!! So back to just the 2 children, and with xmas coming up its not going to pay the bills! xx
Rant over, feel better now!

Pipsqueak
22-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Were you under the illusion you needed paying???

I am shocked hun!!!

in all seriousness I hope you recover your money

Beccles26
22-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I know silly me for thinking I should get aid!
:panic:

karen m
22-10-2011, 07:59 PM
What your not a charity ,i thought all minders were i have {had} a parent that thought i could do school pick up ,snack then drop off at her mums, for 2 children for £20 ,had signed contracts that state 10 hours per week but she doesn't remember that and can't find her contract but i know were mine is so photocopied them and sent them to her,contract now cancelled

Beccles26
22-10-2011, 08:10 PM
its a nightmare!!!! luckily the parent of the 2 children i have for 10 hrs a week is lovely!!!! could just do with more to pay the bills

Ripeberry
22-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Sorry you've had such a bad experience :( I always ask for fees upfront, if they refuse then I don't take them on...end of.
Hope you find another 'good' family :)

The Juggler
23-10-2011, 01:59 PM
sorry to hear this hon. hope you get your money :)

jelly15
23-10-2011, 06:46 PM
A CM friend in the next village signed contracts with parents for two children after schoool, five days a week, term time only no holiday retainer, mum, a teacher, worked in school 35 miles away. She carefully explained the fees when filling in contract and mum and dad seemed happy.

Day one Dad drops off and she hands him invoice for the month £260. Dad opens it and looks shocked and said, " I was just going to tip you £50 at the end of the month." CM friend reminded him that she explained about fees at contract signing and he replied, " I thought that was for all day babies and toddlers." She said she was running a business not running favours.

He came back the next day with a cheque and notice for the end of the month. His very fraile and elderly Aunt now does the after school care.

Seems this attitude is common. Really hope you get your money soon.

Beccles26
23-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Thats the same with me, mum was happy when i explained the fees and when payment was due, i handed her invoice and she said yes i will have moeny by friday (the day the bill needed paying) but friday came and went, just got given a range of different excuses, and me being me i let her get away with it and believed that she would pay me next week!!

littlegremlins
23-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I do sympathise and have had my fair share of waiting/excuses. I said to one mum after yet another excuse to put off paying me 'you get paid for your work and this is my business'...it made her think and she stumped up what she owed the next day. Sadly, I don't know why this profession is treated this way but parents put other costs as a priority sometimes. Put something in writing and make a reference to the contract and late payment fees (if you have these).

Good luck, hope you get your money.

miffy
24-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Hope you get your money.

I always get paid monthly in advance now - no money, no childcare!

Miffy xx

sammiec
20-01-2012, 05:22 PM
i havent started yet as im pre-reg but when my friend asked me about my fee's and earning potential i expained it all. She said wow! that much for doing nothing!! when i told her how much time and money the courses, equiptment, ins etc was and then how I wont just be putting them in front of the tv but doing activities, outings....not to mention the healthy eating planned menu Im divising.

Ive had this reaction alot and one dad at the school had the front to say "didnt you want to go and get a proper job then?" :mad:

Im not a 16 year old babysitter, I will be a childcare professional.

People just dont realise how all consuming this job is and think "its just a school run and a dinner" why should I pay that much.

The reality is, with out childcare they wouldnt be able to go to work. If they want their children cared for and fed properly they will have to pay our (very reasonable) fees :thumbsup:

Beccles26
20-01-2012, 07:48 PM
I strongly agree with what you say!!! Just don't let it bother you and keep going! My partner didn't realise how much work was involved until he saw me preparing for my ofsted inspection, he quickly apologised for saying I was getting paid to just sit at home. :panic:

Stapleton83
20-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Chin up and I 'm sorry you had such a bad experience my two mindees are fantastic and when I went on my pre-reg course the lady said she would recommend always getting paid in advance as she had been stung herself.

I now do exactly that at the end of the day you could turn around and say it's fraud she's taken services without paying for them! I think people think of childminders in a really negative way. I dropped off one of my mindees at school and told the teacher he had banged his head at home (his not mine) and thought they should know in case he had a funny turn. She said ok but he was being picked up by "the childminder" that night in a slightly derogatory voice. To which I promptly responded yes that would be me - she looked highly embarrassed and so she should especially as my daughter is also in her class.:laughing:

At the end of the day what we do is hardwork, can be lonely but incredibly rewarding, flexible and great fun. Don't let it put you off or get you down.

Life's too short to worry what other people think - you know you do a great job and the best way to show them is it be successful. Have faith in yourself:thumbsup:

Sam