PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a panic!(and an expenses query)

Rubybaby
21-10-2011, 08:57 PM
I've just finished working on my accounts and wondered if I 'm doing the right thing with gas and electric expenses! When I started minding (about 6 weeks ago)The ncma said that I could use last years bills to work out average costs , so I called all the utilities etc and they kindly provided me with average costs over the last year. The problem is, I only have (on paper) the info I took down over the phone, and unless I dig out all the old bills myself, won't have any receipt to number and enter in the accounts book. Do you think this will be a problem, and can I just keep copies of bills from now on as evidence ?
Also,can I claim for new pair of specs? I needed a new prescription recently and although I don't use them ALL the time, I definitely need them for any paperwork!

christine e
22-10-2011, 06:24 AM
With regard to your utility bills I would suggest you register with your provider online and then you will be able to access old bills.

With regard to your prescription specs I would say this is a NO

Cx

Chatterbox Childcare
22-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Do you pay by DD?

I work my expenses out at the end of the year for gas/elec.

If you are working full time it is easy to do. Have a look at what you have paid and then take the percentage.

No to glasses

Rubybaby
22-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Thank you both so much for your replies..
Debbie...the DD bills arent too much of a problem (council tax and telecom),but as I haven't been minding long and wanted to get something down on paper, I went for the (lazy!) option and phoned the others up to get my average (which includes the annual service charge for gas). I'm assuming that with telecom I can claim a percentage of my line rental?( I do work full time).
PS- thanks both for glasses advice..something told me it wouldn't be a valid claim, but thought i'd better check!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Thank you both so much for your replies..
Debbie...the DD bills arent too much of a problem (council tax and telecom),but as I haven't been minding long and wanted to get something down on paper, I went for the (lazy!) option and phoned the others up to get my average (which includes the annual service charge for gas). I'm assuming that with telecom I can claim a percentage of my line rental?( I do work full time).
PS- thanks both for glasses advice..something told me it wouldn't be a valid claim, but thought i'd better check!

If you want to claim the line rental you need to have the accurate business use and this means getting a paper copy of all your phone bills and working out what is business and what is personal and take the percentage of this to be used against your line rental.

The invoices for your phone will need to be kept as the HMRC will want to see where you got your figures from