PDA

View Full Version : Help with my own 10 month old

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
21-10-2011, 08:39 PM
My 10 month old son is breastfed and has the occasional bottle of formula which he is fine with.

He is currently teething and on Wednesday whilst feeding him he bit me, I yelleped which scared him and made him cry. Since then he has refused to bf which is very unlike him as he loves abit of boobie!

So tonight I tried to give him a bottle or formula and anyone would think I was torturing the poor boy so I put the formula in a beaker and he still refused it.

Im gutted about the bf issue as its something I really enjoy doing but maybe I have to accept that the time has come that he doesnt want it anymore, But how do i get milk into him? Is it still important to have it and this age? He is a very good eater so I have no worries in that department.

Any suggestions?

Cariad
21-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Have you tried him with a bottle of expressed milk?

uf353432
21-10-2011, 08:45 PM
its quite common sweetie for children to go on a nursing strike when they get a fright and its unlikely to to mean he has finished feeding just that he needs to work through the emotions attached to the correlation between you yelping and him feeding. Continue to off your breast and he will come off his nursing strike soon enough. If you are concerned about milk and keeping up your supply you could always express your milk to keep the supply going and then add your milk to porridge, rice pudding, cheese sauces, pour on cereal etc etc. so that he still gets the milk but in food related products.

If he bites again then try as hard as you can not to react in voice, instead push his head into the breast which will force him to come off the latch as his nose will be blocked and his natural reflex will be to breath through his mouth.

Hang in there

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
21-10-2011, 08:45 PM
no, thats my next step, I have some in the freezer so have to defrost it

Nature'sKids!
21-10-2011, 09:38 PM
its quite common sweetie for children to go on a nursing strike when they get a fright and its unlikely to to mean he has finished feeding just that he needs to work through the emotions attached to the correlation between you yelping and him feeding. Continue to off your breast and he will come off his nursing strike soon enough. If you are concerned about milk and keeping up your supply you could always express your milk to keep the supply going and then add your milk to porridge, rice pudding, cheese sauces, pour on cereal etc etc. so that he still gets the milk but in food related products.

If he bites again then try as hard as you can not to react in voice, instead push his head into the breast which will force him to come off the latch as his nose will be blocked and his natural reflex will be to breath through his mouth.

Hang in there

Couldn't have said it better myself!

You might find some helpful advice on Facebook on "dispelling breastfeeding myths" and "the leaky B@@b"

Wendybird
22-10-2011, 08:26 AM
As above, nursing strike! Children aren't normally done with BF untill well into toddlerhood or even beyond. We just don't know this as a society because, in the main, we wean them waaaayyyyyy too early. ;)

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
22-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys, he actually had a small feed this morning so things are looking up!

uf353432
22-10-2011, 06:32 PM
yay great news :)

singlewiththree
23-10-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm pleased, you could also try a bit of teething gel before he feeds, if he is teething his mouth may be sore