PDA

View Full Version : What do you like most and least about cm?

Nature'sKids!
21-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Interested especially to hear from those who've been doing it for a long time!
Any tips for a newbie?

amirose
21-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Most Like: Freedom, being silly and having fun with the kids, personal one on one relationships you build with parents and children and watching them grow up and being able to say "I was part of that" :)
Least Like: School runs in the rain, getting in and out the car and car seats 50 million times a day, washing up after cooking for the five thousand and chasing my money!!!
But the good outweighs the bad :D

nikki thomson
21-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi, the bits I hate: paperwork every time, there's far to much most of it is complete nonsense which never sees the light of day but unfortunately it's the world we live in.
Best bits looking after children which i love as I've been doing it for many years before cm and the freedom cm gives me, It was also very important for me to stay at home while my children were little as my dh is in the army and away alot so I wanted to be around them and not have to go out to work. X

anisha
21-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Love spending time with the mindees, having fun, being silly and most of all they love it too!

Hate the endless paperwork :mad: just too much of it, but hey when the mindees cry because they don't want to go home, I know I'm doing a great job :)

uf353432
21-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Best:

Being paid to play on the beach, in the park, etc etc on lovely summers day.
Expanding little minds with really cool stuff.
Inspiring other people - i've had great feedback from the local school , parents of the kids I look after, parents at the toddler group, the preschool teacher and other cm's. I love my job and I love it when other people are insprired by something I did especially if other children benefit.
The kids and familes I look after - the kids are like an extension of my family they are fab fab fab.
The money - its nice to be finally not worrying too much about every penny - and I know it might not last but its nice right now.
Feeling like I am making a positive contribution in my local community.
Being my own boss - I have an idea, I plan for it an I do it. I don't need anyones permission and its nice to have that kind of freedom.
Having financial support to complete my degree.

Worst:

Multiple pooey nappy days.
I've had 1 day off in 18 months - I need a break but feel guilty if I let people down.
The only way I can escape my job is literally not to be in my house.

I love my job, nearly 3 years and still smiling!

blue bear
21-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Love: being with children, they are so straight forward and honest. Being daft and having a good time, going with the flow and doing what ever we fancy.

Don't like: the worry of new parent interviews

Bananabrain
22-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Best : building relationships with children [ had 2 new starters in the last couple of weeks and they screamed the place down] yesterday they were both singing and laughing and I feel REALLY good!!!:clapping:
Knowing that I have made a difference [especially for children from 'difficult' backgrounds]
Worst : not being given recognition as anywhere near 'a professional' and being treated like a numpty by parents, teachers, children's centre staff etc.
People not understanding how hard the job is and how hard we work.
Just being treated like I'm thick really!:angry:
Just because I am 'only' a childminder, does not mean I'm thick!!!!! I probably know more about child development than most of the 'professionals' and yet they talk to me like I'm an idiot and it drives me CRAZY!!!:angry:

Twinkles
22-10-2011, 08:38 AM
I've been childminding for 17 years and still love it !

Best bits;

Getting out in the fresh air every day

Being my own boss

Still being thrilled with every new development - first tooth , first steps , new words......

Watching a confident , independent child walk into school and say ' I helped that child achieve that'

Worst bits;

Paperwork ( especially tax form/accounts)

Chasing my money :(

The Juggler
22-10-2011, 08:39 AM
hate :
paperwork
rudeness from parents (including forgettign stuff/not paying/paying late etc. etc.
school runs in heavy rain

love: pretty much everything else!:D

primula
22-10-2011, 09:14 AM
love the freedom, getting paid to 'childish things' blowing bubbles, watching spiders etc! hanging out with other minders and the kids. Watching the little steps made by each child and parents realisation that they HAVE made the right choice in childcare!!
I wouldnt miss stuff everywhere and not knowing where to put the stuff i save/collect!! A playroom would solve all my probs but that is never going to happen!!:(

Toothfairy
22-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Love = Being my own boss and the freedom it brings.
Being at home for my own children before/after school, in the holidays and when they are ill. Being able to go to school plays, sports day, harvest festival etc.

Hate = Loosing my dinning room to boxes of toys and posters. Being inspected by Ofsted. Constantly making sure you do everything by the book.
Doing my own book keeping.

Ripeberry
22-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Love: Being spontaneous, if it's nice outside, go out and enjoy it! If we want to stay in, we stay in.

Being my own boss, making relationships with the children and the parents and having the freedom to be silly and act like a kid :laughing:
Getting cuddles off the children and being able to comfort them when needed.

Dislikes:
Learning journeys, I take lots of pictures and then try and decide which ones to use, takes me forever! Then having to work out the 6 areas of learning
Doing invoices, accounts
Having to be on best behaviour at all times, even when not minding, as in a small village you are watched all the time :eek:

PixiePetal
22-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Love -
seeing babies grow into lovely children and move on into the world of school and being a part of that.
Passing on knowledge and experience to new parents who are grateful of a personal touch.
being paid to play bubbles in the garden on a sunny day.
being there when my children were young and even more so now we are at GCSE and college levels, I think my support is needed more than ever now they are moving into the adult world.
hearing a child say I love you - to me :) always makes me smile and know I am doing a great job no matter what my grade.
Playing with new toys and finding new resources for us all to enjoy
Hearing from my DD that, on FB, 3 ex mindees now aged 11/12 were talking about what fun they had here and how they would all like to come again to see each other. Must arrange something I think.

Hate -
accounts
observations -been doing this informally from the beginning of my CM career but having to write it all down drives me nuts
Writing RA for everything - whatever happened to common sence (out the window with 'no win no fee' suing :rolleyes: )

mostly still love it, good way overcomes the bad :thumbsup:

Pauline
22-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Most - being my own boss. Not having to get up and go driving off to an office/factory/whatever in all weathers in traffic.

Least - Children with runny noses who sneeze in their dinner. :laughing:

PixiePetal
22-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Most - being my own boss. Not having to get up and go driving off to an office/factory/whatever in all weathers in traffic.

Least - Children with runny noses who sneeze in their dinner. :laughing:

can cope with them sneezing in their own dinner - not so keen when it is on me! or even worse - sick (when parents forget to tell you they have been ill :rolleyes: )

Pipsqueak
22-10-2011, 11:33 AM
What do I love about being a minder:

being my own boss- I really don't think I could work for someone else now
I love being home for my own kids and they appreciate it too, being able to go to their sports days etc.
I like being able to please myself (more or less lol)
I love being part of something huge - that childs development, their confidence their life - it makes me feel humbled and honoured - the trust another person places in you - whether that is a child or parent
A massive sense of acheivement and pride knowing I have been part of that something huge
fun filled days that I get paid for
my days are varied, never boring (though occasionally draining and hard)

What I hate:

not being recognised as the dedicated hardworking professional that I am
rude and ignorant counterparts that contribute to giving all minders a bad name
rude and ignorant other professionals
rude and ignorant parents (clients)
chasing money that I am owed
that first parent interview
banging my head against a brick wall when trying to access help for a child
feeling poorly but still having to work! - the downside to being S/E

kel1983
22-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Like: Being paid to play, not having anyone to tell me what to do, spontanious days out, watching chidren develope, the one to one relationship i've built up with the children and parents and not having to leave the house if the weather is bad.

Dislikes: Waiting for late payers, grizzly children, snotty noses, dirty nappys and the paperwork

mufftie
22-10-2011, 01:30 PM
love being at home for my own children , the money when the goings good , the sense of a job well done when parents keep reccomending me

hate the mess , screaming babies , dirty nappies (sometimes 10 times a day as i have 5 in nappies most days )
but most of all i hate the fact that people dont reccognise the fact that i am actually at work - there is very little respect for childminders as a whole

little chickee
22-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Love:

Not having to answer to a boss
Being at home when my kids go to and come home from school.
being able to pop up to school at a moments notice to collect my kids if they are not well or drop off a forgotten item.
Being able to go to school assemblies, concerts , sports days etc,
Being able to put out a load of washing if its nice and quickley take it in if it rains.
I enjoy taking mindees to toddlers, soft play, playpark etc and getting paid to do it.
Having babies and small children around but handing them back again at home time when they are tired and grumpy!

Hate:

Chasing payments
Doing accounts
runny noses!
Being looked down on and being told " but its not a proper job though is it?"
Parents thinking that it doesnt matter if they pay me on time or not.
Feeling isolated and vunerable as i work on my own :(

snufflepuff
22-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Love:
That i'm at home with my son
The lovely bond I've built up with my mindees- one parent told me the other day that her LO has started saying she misses me! :)
Being able to play with toys/ bake/ do crafty stuff
When I hear that someone has recommended me, or when parents show that they really appreciate me.

Hate:
The uncertainty of it- our incomes can drop to nothing just like that.
The lack of respect- the way we are seen as 'just' a childminder, and nobody understands what our job involves.
When my son is effected negatively because of my job- a mindee hurting him for example, or when he needs/ wants me but i'm to busy dealing with a mindee to give him the attention he needs.
Feeling lonely, the lack of adult conversation
The lack of sick pay, holiday pay etc
Paperwork!!!!

Carol M
22-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Best bits:
Own boss, working from home, becoming part of each childs life even if only for a short while.
Worst bits:
Public perception of Childminders, having to do so much paperwork, long hours and little renumeration, house taken over.
Carol xx

Pinkrose
22-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Hates doing my own accounts and boring paperwork
Loves everything else,being at home with my beautiful children, painting,messy play, cuddles, playing all day, toddler groups. I really really love my job I dont know if I am just lucky but I think childminding is an amazing job xxx:) :laughing: :o :clapping: :clapping: :jump for joy:

crazyXstitcher
23-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Best:-
Playing with and having fun with the children and watching them grow and develop
Being able to be at home with my own children
Being my own boss, (not having to work with people i don't like and deal with office politics and other such rubbish.)
Going somewhere when i'm not working and seeing mindees faces light up when they see me.
Working with the lovely parents of mindee who really appreciate me and think that it's madness that they pay the cleaner double what they pay someone to look after their child (no disrespect to cleaners intended)

Worst:-
Paperwork
Being thought of as a "babysitter by another name" (actual quote grrr)
Feeling guilty that i am letting people down if i'm too ill to work
The mess created

Eddisonsmum
23-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Love:
Being with my DS all day and every day
The relationship I have with the minded children
Listening to them laugh, it makes me cry!
having money to go out and buy whatever I want cos I'm not paying nursery fees
The amount of new friends I have made

Hate:
keep getting nits! Utterly digusting but they keep coming back so regular treatments needed to keep away
The bickering between sisters!
Still haven't got to the stage at the playground where I feel comfortable. Feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. No one talks to me :-(

flowerpots
23-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Dilike - Chasing money
- Rude parents
- People thinking im 'just a childminder'

LOVE LOVE LOVE everything else. :jump for joy:

Newbie1!
23-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Its been really interesting reading others comments on this one :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Most of my dislikes centre around parents Im afraid - not paying on time, taking the mick, being rude, unappreciative, undervalued, telling stories (my child isnt ill, she hasnt been sick for 3 days....then the sick all over my shoes tells different!!) etc...but at the end of the day I havent been able to find another job where I could care for my daughter, take her to school etc and that is the one thing keeping me going..... xxx

Narnia34
23-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Like...

having a job where bursting into song and dancing like a mad thing round the living room is a positive bonus.
Watching the children in my care learn and develop
Lots of snuggles and giggles and fun.

Dislike...

mad amounts of paperwork
parents who talk to you like you're a moron
chasing money
and, specifically for me, the parent who told me that I should spend more time with and treat her child differently because she was a higher rank than the parents of the other children!

Nature'sKids!
23-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Like...

having a job where bursting into song and dancing like a mad thing round the living room is a positive bonus.
Watching the children in my care learn and develop
Lots of snuggles and giggles and fun.

Dislike...

mad amounts of paperwork
parents who talk to you like you're a moron
chasing money
and, specifically for me, the parent who told me that I should spend more time with and treat her child differently because she was a higher rank than the parents of the other children!

:eek: no way!