PDA

View Full Version : Help - My oven has broken!!!

AliceK
21-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Just been cooking the childrens tea and realised there is something wrong with the oven and it's not getting above luke warm. I now need to think of dinners I can cook that don't involve using an oven. The hot plates work, I do have a slow cooker and also a microwave so I'm not completely stuck but I need some ideas if anyone has any?
Thanks

xxxxxx

Velleity
21-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Take Away.

PixiePetal
21-10-2011, 03:58 PM
anything in the slow cooker with micro jacket potato, cous cous - only need a kettle for that with something cooked on the hob?

christine e
21-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Mine broke in the middle of Christmas dinner a couple of years ago:laughing:
had a new fan and it has worked fine since - touch wood:laughing:

Cx

Nature'sKids!
21-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Take Away.

Lol

Scrambled egg
Pasta
Pancakes - do savoury fillings, a little like calzone

rickysmiths
21-10-2011, 04:24 PM
On the hob:

Rissotto
Bolognaise Sauce to use with mash or pasta
Casseroles
Omlettes
Poached Eggs
Boiled Eggs
Cous cous with mixed veg in tomato
Curry and rice
Pancakes savoury or sweet
Chilli
Stir Fry
Sausages
Chops
Rice pudding/semolina/ground rice
Chicken Korma
Poached fish
Porridge
Liver and Bacon Casserole (we are having this for dinner tonight:thumbsup: )
Corned Beef Hash

To be honest i use the hob more than the oven to prepare mindees food anyway.

AliceK
21-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Lol

Scrambled egg
Pasta
Pancakes - do savoury fillings, a little like calzone

mmmmm now I like that idea :thumbsup:

xx

AliceK
21-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Take Away.

:laughing: Well that was my first thought for myself and OH but I'm not sure the mindees parents would approve.

xxxx

AliceK
21-10-2011, 04:27 PM
RickySmiths
Thanks :thumbsup: , loads of good ideas there. I need to plan my menus and shopping list tonight.

xxx

caz3007
21-10-2011, 04:35 PM
I didnt have an oven for about 3 months as couldnt afford to replace, but did have a little electric oven that we use for camping, you can fit one small tray in it. So managed cooking for 4 mindies and 4 of us. Also used the slow cooker loads and the microwave, you can do it. Lots of casseroles and curries in the slow cooker and then you can do the potatoes or rice or whatever either on the hob or in the microwave.

The Juggler
21-10-2011, 04:45 PM
any sort of stew, pasta sauce or curry hon. x

Anon8319
21-10-2011, 04:49 PM
My hob broke 10 days ago and since then I have been cooking entire meals using an oven and a combi-oven (microwave/oven in one) and a kettle! We then had to buy a camping stove.

Have you got a slow cooker? There are lots of things you can do just using a hob, lots of which have already been mentioned.

You have my sympathies - it's a nightmare! Also mention it to the parents as you will find they will probably understand the slight slip in standards.

Nature'sKids!
21-10-2011, 06:14 PM
We also really like soups and stews.
Potato based dishes are easy too.
Google gröstl recipe.
Another favourite is wraps with chilli and salad, sour cream, cheese
Boiled new potatoes with skin on, served a little like jack potato except there's a variety of fillings to choose from and because the gators are small you can have several: sour cream and chive, cheese, ham, tuna, sweetcorn and mixed salad to go with it

Nature'sKids!
21-10-2011, 06:16 PM
mmmmm now I like that idea :thumbsup:

xx

Really nice filling is leaf spinach with cheese and creme fraiche, seasoned with a little nutmeg