PDA

View Full Version : Telling parents concerns over their child - help!

VeggieSausage
21-10-2011, 10:16 AM
I am looking after a little one that I think may have Aspergers. I have tried to signpost mum to see a health visitor over things such as his balance, saying I was a little concerned and think maybe you should see a health visitor incase he has a hearing problem. She dismissed these suggestions. He is only 20 months but his behaviour is noticably 'different' although he is meeting all the EYFS milestones. What should I do? .....really worrying me. Thanks

blue bear
21-10-2011, 01:38 PM
You cant make mum take him to see hv. It's really hard as a parent to accept something may be wrong and it often takes times for them to be able to accept there could possibly be a problem.

Make notes/detailed observations constantly so when mum does take action you have detailed notes to look back on which will be helful for diagnosis.

Maybe get your d/o to visit you, not for this lo as you'd written permission for that but while she's at your house get her ideas on what to do next.

Do you have contact with hv? Can you suggest a 2 year check may be appropriate without breaking data protection. I've done this and it helped.

What ever you do, do not try to make a diagnosis you are not qualified to do this, just pick up on his development linking to eyfs which will high light any delays lo is having

VeggieSausage
21-10-2011, 07:10 PM
thanks so much.....do you suggest making observations and putting in progress folder or to just keep in confidential folder?.....sorry quite new to childminding and not had any experience of what to do

blue bear
21-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I'd put the observation in the learning journal linked to eyfs and age bracket. Concerns I would keep in a confidential folder along with write up of conversations you have had with parents voicing your concerns.