PDA

View Full Version : School closure insurance

Mouse
21-10-2011, 09:40 AM
I had an email about a company offering school closure insurance for bad weather, flooding or heating breakdown.

As with all insurance policies, it has a lot of conditions (can't be for the first day of closure within the policy term, has to be the whole school closed, a maximum payout etc).

At first I thought, what a load of rubbish. But then I thought, I wonder if it is something parents would be interested in? It costs £30 for a year & pays out £100 a day, up to a max of £500 within a year. (I haven't read all the conditions, so don't assume I've got all the details correct!)

What do you think? Would you spend £30 on the chance you'd get money back if the school was closed? It could be used for childcare costs, lost income or anything else.

miffy
21-10-2011, 10:32 AM
It would only be worthwhile if you incurred extra costs for childcare but when our school was shut because of the bad weather none of the parents could get to me anyway so they didn't have anything extra to pay and even though they didn't get to work they all got paid.

Miffy xx

JCrakers
21-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I suppose its like all insurance isnt it....It there but you will probably never use it.
I was totting up how much insurance I buy such as fridge, dishwsaher, holiday, mobile phone, house, life, 2 cats, childminder. Its all in place just incase, but Ive never claimed as yet. (well..have claimed on house ins once in 11yrs)

Had a letter to insure the water pipes but its just something else that will never happen so I havent bothered with that.

Sounds like a good idea but our school only closed last year as there was % of teachers that couldnt get to school because of the snow but that also meant a lot of parents couldnt get to work either so they took the day off.

A boiler breakage usually gets fixed within the day so school open the next.

FussyElmo
21-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Our schools both primary and secondary rarely close - in fact they are quite proud of the fact last year they were the only ones who opened so no it probably wouldnt be worth it :)

nikki thomson
21-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi, I would if u can use it for anything, I live in Wiltshire quite rural and up until a couple of yes ago we'd not seen snow for yrs but the last two years we've had lots and the school was shut for a week each time we got bad snow.
I love it no work, pyjama days and full pay, great. X

Mouse
21-10-2011, 02:35 PM
You have the money for any purpose. It doesn't have to be used for childcare.

Our school closed for 2 days last year. The first day doesn't count for claiming, but on this policy I'd have got £100 for the second day's closure.

I suppose of you don't need the money for childcare, lost fees etc, it's a bit of a gamble. Is it worth paying £30 for the possibility of between £100 - £500 back? To me it seems more of a bet than insurance!