PDA

View Full Version : free funding

mabel
21-10-2011, 08:06 AM
as childminders can we offer 3 year old free 15 hours funding like a pre school does ?
if so how do we go about it ?

Pipsqueak
21-10-2011, 08:57 AM
No you have to be accredited either through a network or through your LA

stardust
21-10-2011, 09:13 AM
as childminders can we offer 3 year old free 15 hours funding like a pre school does ?
if so how do we go about it ?

Yes we can however to do so you will need to become an accredited childminder.
You need to be in the process of or already have a level 3 qualification, Have a good or outstanding Ofsted inspection and in Bristol you need to be completing the Bristol standard. I would contact you local la and inquire there x

QualityCare
21-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I was told that as the funding is a set amount it could work out at less than our normal hourly rate and we were not allowed to ask the parents to make up the difference, so we would be worse off and have extra paper work to do on top.

Goatgirl
21-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I was told that as the funding is a set amount it could work out at less than our normal hourly rate and we were not allowed to ask the parents to make up the difference, so we would be worse off and have extra paper work to do on top.

The amount does vary from area to area though :) and parents may need more hours in total but use us because we offer the free hours too... :cool:

Personally I'm not prepared to jump through all the hoops needed for accreditation but if I didn't need to do the accreditation first, I'd give it a go if I needed the work :thumbsup:

Good luck if you decide to go for it :)

Natternic
21-10-2011, 01:00 PM
just starting my accreditation today, wish me luck!
Im a new childminder struggling to get work, thought it might help and as i have the time to do it whilst my son is at school all day. it does seem like alot of extra paperwork tho

uf353432
21-10-2011, 02:17 PM
As an accredited childminder I don't feel it is a huge amount more work - I was already working to the standard prior to becoming accredited so have not seen any change in my paperwork really.

As for the money side of things - at the moment I break even. It actually works out as long as I am not putting though more than around 20hrs a week accredited I break even, more if I have less hours and less is I have more. BUT.....I do have children who have been with me since tots now still with me sharing care between preschool and myself who I would have lost if I wasn't accredited. When they start full time school the 2 yr olds on my books will then claim the funding and replace them - and again I retain my children for longer.

I like having the flexibility of offering the funding. We have a Preschool in the village which is Outstanding and a massive waiting list - I work very closely with them as part of my accreditation and the children whose care we share. Professionally I think its a great move.