PDA

View Full Version : What's the most ridiculous thing ...

Nature'sKids!
20-10-2011, 05:40 PM
...anyone (ofsted inspectors, partners, parents,...) has ever said to you about being a cm / how to run your business / etc.?

funemnx
20-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Hubby very nearly said 'proper job' once...... only once! Grrrr!!!!

sweets
20-10-2011, 06:59 PM
i thought this was ridiculous but people may disagree.

on my pre reg the inspector told me i must get rid or empty my 3ft tall bird bath every day, yes i know a child can drown in an inch of water (which is all it held!) but it is 3 ft high and to be honest a bit wobbly and unless a tall enough child actually stood by it and stuck their face in and kept it there for a few minutes it causes no danger! absolutley no way could a child 'fall' into it.

i ignored her and my proper grading inspector didnt even comment on it :thumbsup:

loocyloo
20-10-2011, 07:05 PM
i was once given the action of 'working with the local preschools & nurseries' ... yes i will, when any child i am looking after goes to one! at that point, all mindees were 2 & under! ( or at school! and i did work with the teachers )

little chickee
20-10-2011, 07:12 PM
This ones a bit the other way round - my Care Commission officer told me of a cm that she had just registered who told her that her (the cm) dad had said that he didnt know how she could have all the kids around every day.

The cm told the CC officer that her reply had been " don't look at them as kids, look at them as £ signs"!!

Needless to say the CC kept a close eye on her after that!

WibbleWobble
20-10-2011, 07:28 PM
i was told i didnt get the outstanding cos i didnt have any formal training in phonics and didnt do phonics....er....i sing and talk to the children, read books etc...

and they were all under 2 at the time

mandy xx

muffins
20-10-2011, 08:07 PM
I was given the action of turning my A4 attence register into A5 to make it more portable by the inspector AND she actually wrote this on my report! Could she not think of anything better and surely its my problem not a requirement:rolleyes:

Twinkles
20-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Two friends of mine were on the ICP course recently and were told they had to put safety cones around any puddles they may have in the garden :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Happy Bunny
20-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Two friends of mine were on the ICP course recently and were told they had to put safety cones around any puddles they may have in the garden :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

With the puddles in my garden i'd have to go cone crazy LOL

I do get people say to me 'how can you cope looking after kids all day'
My reply 'Easy I am one'

blue bear
20-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I was told by an inspector only to leave one bottle of shampoo out in the bathroom incase the children drank it, did she really think a child would down one bottle and start on another!

Nature'sKids!
20-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Um.... Safety cones???? :doh:

sweets
20-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I was told by an inspector only to leave one bottle of shampoo out in the bathroom incase the children drank it, did she really think a child would down one bottle and start on another!

love it :thumbsup:

Mouse
20-10-2011, 10:20 PM

Going back many years, when I first registered and before Ofsted even existed, we weren't allowed ANY bottles out in the bathroom. No shampoo, no bubble bath, nothing at all.

Nature'sKids!
20-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Oh my kids regularly drink bottles of shampoo and shower gel, followed by tubes of toothpaste for pudding lol

Always ask for seconds too!! :P

FussyElmo
21-10-2011, 06:38 AM

How do I get to school today - how will the children manage to walk around a puddle without cones to show them.................

christine e
21-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Back in the days before Ofsted a friend of mine was pulled up about her fish bowl (I say bowl because that is what it was not a tank) and the inspector was concerned that a child might put their head in and drown! Now I come to the best bit she suggested my friend cover the top with clingflim:panic: My friend had to explain how this would deprive the fish of oxygen and kill it!

Cx

suzyblue
21-10-2011, 06:51 AM
I was told that my hanging basket next to the front door was a danger as the ivy could grow and strangle a child - how long does she think it takes me to answer the door!!!!!

sweets
21-10-2011, 06:53 AM
I was told that my hanging basket next to the front door was a danger as the ivy could grow and strangle a child - how long does she think it takes me to answer the door!!!!!

lovin that one!

keeks
21-10-2011, 07:04 AM
This is a really funny thread! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My inspector who never read my sef gave me the action to get more multicultural resources. I had bilingual books and stories with people from all backgrounds. There were puzzles and toys portraying a variety of cultures, cd's with music from different countries, multicultural dolls, dressing up. My children and I are Swedish, I have got artefacts from around the world are up on my walls and shelves, laminated photos from my travels (and other's). I have got three university courses in Intercultural Communication! :rolleyes:

When I pointed some of it out he said, well perhaps you could still get some more? :laughing:

xx

ORKSIE
21-10-2011, 07:17 AM

This actually made me LOL:ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Nature'sKids!
21-10-2011, 07:28 AM

Im now imagining Harry potter and the philosophers stone and the ivy they fall into, wrapping itself tightly around Ron and harry... Slowly crushing them... I'm sure your evil hanging basket plant will to the same :P

JCrakers
21-10-2011, 09:11 AM

:ROFL1: :laughing: :ROFL1:

That is so funny, cheered me up this morning.
Ive got images of a hitchcock movie with the plant slithering down the hanging basket to the unsuspecting victims below. It would have to be dark though to the the full effect.

Im also loving the clingfilm and the shampoo...who are these inspectors :laughing:

Mouse
21-10-2011, 09:28 AM
I remember reading on here once about a parent who had asked if they had to pay the childminder while the child was asleep as they weren't doing anything then!

I haven't a clue who it was, but it really made me laugh!

babs
21-10-2011, 10:43 AM
i got action for not working with preschools and school at the time none of the children i had were at the the time 6 months at 18 months and i had only been minding for couple of days..

this thread has really made me giggle the fish bowl one how would the kids drown the water would come out if turned upside down :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The Juggler
21-10-2011, 12:26 PM
i thought this was ridiculous but people may disagree.

on my pre reg the inspector told me i must get rid or empty my 3ft tall bird bath every day, yes i know a child can drown in an inch of water (which is all it held!) but it is 3 ft high and to be honest a bit wobbly and unless a tall enough child actually stood by it and stuck their face in and kept it there for a few minutes it causes no danger! absolutley no way could a child 'fall' into it.

i ignored her and my proper grading inspector didnt even comment on it :thumbsup:

i never get that bit about emptying buckets and plant pots of water to make the environment safe - why do they think this is any more dangerous than our water trays (a child can drown in a few inches) and it's not like we're gonna leave them unsupervised to fall in a bucket and not see them :rolleyes:

The Juggler
21-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Um.... Safety cones???? :doh:

exactly - so no puddle jumping anymore then :panic:

The Juggler
21-10-2011, 12:29 PM

hahaa:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: the only dangerous thing about my hanging basket is that I keep hitting my head on it - maybe I should take it down:laughing: :laughing: :p

sweets
21-10-2011, 12:36 PM
hahaa:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: the only dangerous thing about my hanging basket is that I keep hitting my head on it - maybe I should take it down:laughing: :laughing: :p

i have one dad who hits head on mine nearly every day! youd think he would have learnt it was there by now as he has picking his child up from mine for the last 2 years!

xgemx
21-10-2011, 01:29 PM

That is hilarious

do you think they have a points system how can give the silly action to be completed to the childminders

smurfette
23-10-2011, 10:52 PM
:ROFL1: :laughing: :ROFL1:

That is so funny, cheered me up this morning.
Ive got images of a hitchcock movie with the plant slithering down the hanging basket to the unsuspecting victims below. It would have to be dark though to the the full effect.

Im also loving the clingfilm and the shampoo...who are these inspectors :laughing:

Havent you people seen 'little shop of horrors'?!!! :laughing:

singlewiththree
24-10-2011, 06:40 AM
I had an pre-inspector tell me to put a cupboard lock on my high cupboard because a child could get a chair and climb up to get in. I'm 5ft and have to stand on tip toe to get in it! I said I think I would hear and see a child dragging a chair across my laminate floor but being a good girl I did it anyway and have now turned it off (magnet one)

amirose
24-10-2011, 11:15 AM
My pre-reg inspector was an absolute ogre and I really should have complained, if I ever get her for a future inspection I will refuse and put in my complaint then!

One of the MANY stupid things she said included
"Whats that?"
Me: "A cupboard"
"Can I see inside please"
Following a shocked look from me she then said
"To make sure you haven't got any tarantulas hidden in there or anything"

:panic: :eek: :eek:

Despite the comment being completely ridiculous - so what if I did have a pet tarantula??!!! :rolleyes: :laughing:

I then opened it to reveal the hoover and clothes airer oooo scary stuff :laughing:

Jiorjiina
24-10-2011, 12:01 PM
My pre-reg inspector was an absolute ogre and I really should have complained, if I ever get her for a future inspection I will refuse and put in my complaint then!

One of the MANY stupid things she said included
"Whats that?"
Me: "A cupboard"
"Can I see inside please"
Following a shocked look from me she then said
"To make sure you haven't got any tarantulas hidden in there or anything"

:panic: :eek: :eek:

Despite the comment being completely ridiculous - so what if I did have a pet tarantula??!!! :rolleyes: :laughing:

I then opened it to reveal the hoover and clothes airer oooo scary stuff :laughing:

Personally, I never hide my tarantulas in the cupboard, that's where I keep my nuclear waste.

Good grief, what are these people thinking? :rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
24-10-2011, 12:11 PM
gosh that reminds me of way back when... my pre-reg inspector wanted to seem my bedroom (wasn't registering it) to ensure (and I quote verbatim ) 'that you don't have a cannabis farm growing in there'

I'm not sure WHY she came out with that quip - perhaps I look the type... however she didn't want to see in my kids rooms....... oh thats right because cannabis farmers wouldn't dream of using their KIDS rooms would they

marnieb
24-10-2011, 12:22 PM
last summer when it was v hot, I had a mum phone me on a Sunday (:angry: ), to ask how I was 'going to manage the heat'.........

snufflepuff
24-10-2011, 12:25 PM
last summer when it was v hot, I had a mum phone me on a Sunday ( ), to ask how I was 'going to manage the heat'.........

What, you mean you can't turn the heat of the sun down? Why not?!

Nature'sKids!
24-10-2011, 01:15 PM
last summer when it was v hot, I had a mum phone me on a Sunday (:angry: ), to ask how I was 'going to manage the heat'.........

What did you reply?

Bitsy Beans
24-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Going back many years, when I first registered and before Ofsted even existed, we weren't allowed ANY bottles out in the bathroom. No shampoo, no bubble bath, nothing at all.

Well my pre reg inspection 3 years ago the inspector told me I had to remove all shampoo, toothpaste etc as it was hazardous to children. Did she really think I would be letting young children to the toilet unsupervised and as for the older children dare we not teach them not to touch things :rolleyes: Needless to say I do not empty the contents of my bathroom every morning.

PixiePetal
24-10-2011, 02:18 PM
these posts ought to be published in a book to give to Inspectors to show just how picky and ridiculous some of their requests are! :rolleyes:

mushpea
24-10-2011, 02:38 PM
years ago when I first registered just before the inspector came we had loads of rain that night and my guineapigs got flooded so I brought them indoors , obviously they stank cause they where wet,, the inspectors first words were 'it smells of wet dog in here, do always have a wet dog'! er no dont have a dog and my piggs cant help being wet,,, then we went outside and she complained about a dead worm being in the garden and made me remove it!
the last inspection I had i got told off because parents dont write in the diarys and she made this an action,, I told her I cant force people to write in them but she insisted I should

twinkle3005
24-10-2011, 02:55 PM
LOL this thread has really had me giggling. I've now decided what my next job is going to be, I'm going to be an OFSTED inspector, they spout claptrap all day AND are better paid than us AND get away with it too!

breezy
24-10-2011, 03:17 PM
my first inspector said " So you havent got any experience of children with disabilities?"

I told her my dd has severe learning difficulties and physical disabilities, thats why we have hand rails everywhere, I do makaton and use pecs with her and help run a special needs charity!

she replies " yes but you havent actually cared for any":eek: :eek: :eek:

no I just sit her in a corner all day :doh: