PDA

View Full Version : When to start Christmas in your setting?

Gherkin
20-10-2011, 08:17 AM
I have half term off and am off over the Christmas period. Over half term I intend to change the toys/books/posters etc in the playroom. My question is:

WILL IT BE TOO EARLY FOR CHRISTMAS POSTERS/BOOKS OUT?

Obviously there will be other planning - bonfire night, Diwali (I am doing it after half term) etc but to save time I would like to get all the seasonal stuff up at the same time. What do you think?

Thanks

chez
20-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Personally Id say yes, Id get the winter things out, bits on snowmen, robins etc but not christmas.
Yesterday me and LO went shopping for items for our cakes shes very nearly 3 yrs old. She spotted xmas cards. "Its nearly christmas and Santa will come and Ill get presents" she says she spent the rest of the day asking if it was christmas tomorrow, no, the next day, still no, the day after, nope.

Chimps Childminding
20-10-2011, 08:29 AM
I will be changing my Autumn theme to more of a wintery one from the beginning of November, taking the leaves off my tree on the wall and adding fireworks for Bonfire night, then perhaps some snow on the branches, a snowman or 2 under the tree and a couple of robins in it. BUT I won't be adding any Christmas stuff till the beginning of December at the earliest!!

AliceK
20-10-2011, 08:48 AM
I will be changing my Autumn theme to more of a wintery one from the beginning of November, taking the leaves off my tree on the wall and adding fireworks for Bonfire night, then perhaps some snow on the branches, a snowman or 2 under the tree and a couple of robins in it. BUT I won't be adding any Christmas stuff till the beginning of December at the earliest!!

Same here. I don't feel our Autumn stuff has been up long enough to change it just yet. Will start on Winter at beginning of November and then go for Christmas in a big way at the beginning of December (I LOVE Christmas) :)
My DD came home from nursery on Monday and told me they had been making christmas cards. Mindee in Year 1 told me the same thing :eek:

xxxxx

catminder
20-10-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm going to introduce some wintery things after half term but for me the build up to Christmas won't start until December.

RachelE
20-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Christmas is in December - and I intend to keep it that way!! :rolleyes:

You wouldnt start celebrating any other celebration 2 months early - I cant see what the big hype is!

I'm keeping my Autumn display up until at least the begin of Dec. (1st day of winter is around Dec 23rd)
I am changing my Autumn display this year to incorporate the fact that it does snow in Autumn sometimes!

There's so many other things to celebrate and enjoy before the 25th Dec!

Rachel x

jumping j
20-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I agree the shops start christmas way too early and I plan to keep it in December, I'm keeping my falling leaves up but adding some halloween stuff next week and then fireworks the first week of november.
I wont change to winter until after this and definately no christmas until december!!!:panic:

Nature'sKids!
20-10-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm going to start christmas on the first advent Sunday.

Winter will start when autumn has finished. Strictly speaking this isn't until 21st December!

I will change decorations when I feel the natural surroundings are more wintery. When we've had frosts / snow (haha) ... Essentially following natures lead :D

georgie456
20-10-2011, 01:06 PM
We don't do any winter or Christmas related bits until December. The children are far too busy embracing Autumn still!

babs
20-10-2011, 01:12 PM
normally 2 nd week in December but as I finish on 16 th think ill start on 1st giving us 15 days ...

The Juggler
20-10-2011, 01:55 PM
not until December here :thumbsup:

Nature'sKids!
20-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Januaramd february are winter too anyway.
And the kids will see enough Xmas related stuff everywhere else...
If you wantto do something Christmas related sooner you could start making gifts with the children or making decorations, making wrapping paper in preparation.

rosebud
20-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Winter maybe, depending on the weather outside, christmas definitely not. The C word is banned in my house before the 1st December and from then we start a very slow build up, making cards, decorations, etc until by christmas eve we are all totally over excited - myself most of all. I love this job the week before christmas and seeing it all through a 3 year olds eyes makes it special every year. I hate that the shops start displays etc so early, small children have very little concept of time and even two weeks is incredibly long to them.

Dragonfly
20-10-2011, 06:22 PM
It depends, if you do things like air hardening clay and you have alot of children on different days i would start a bit earlier than december to get every thing we have planned done.As its the hardening and the painting etc for each child which takes some time.Plus there seems to be always something to make or do for christmas.(maybe we do too much:D )